Decided On a Taurus PT-145 V.S. a Bersa .45 ACP.

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by WannaGator, Aug 29, 2011.

1. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

Well I have a Taurus Duo-Tone PT-145 .45 ACP on layaway.

I decided to go this route of a Bersa UC .45 ACP as it was priced at $359.99 and has 4 more rounds of capacity(6 if you use spacers & 24/7 mags).

Ya'll have any experience with this gun?

2. TX45

TX45 New Member

The PT145 duo tone is a 3rd gen MilPro so it should be a great gun for cc. I use the 10rd mags that came with the PT145 for concealed carry and the 24/7 12rd mags for reload and range time. My PT145 is a stainless one, not duo tone.

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Between Bersa and Taurus, I'd choose Bersa every time.

Too many QC issues with Taurus. I hope you get a great one. The "good ones" are bargains for sure. The problem is that you're taking on the "lemon" risk when you purchase a Taurus.

I've shot some really solid Taurii that people picked up for extremely fair prices. I've also heard more horror stories about Taurus QC than any other manufacturer. So my wallet doesn't open for Taurus. Probably...you'll get a good one and be very happy with your purchase. I hope that's the case.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sweeper makes some good points on Taurus. I have two, a 9mm Millenneum Pro PT-111 and a 38 Spec. M85. No problems with either but there are tons of complaints on Taurus so it seems to boil down to inconsistency in manufacture. Either you get a good one or you don't.

5. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

Well you get good and bad in all makes and models.

I own a Taurus Duo-Tone PT-1911 with around 300-350 rounds through it, a SS Public Defender 2" barrelled .45 LC/.410 revolver with around 50 shells through it neither gun has given me any problems.

I just acquired a M85 Duo-Tone UL .38 Spec revolver can't wait to get to Bake's to hear the beautiful chorus that a .410,.45 ACP, and a .38 Spec +P can create.

If I ever have a problem I'll call Customer Service and they will take care of it.

6. erikthebald

erikthebald New Member

Manufacturing

I have to hijack this thread for a moment.

I worked in manufacturing for 15 years. It's been my experience that most customer complaint are related to a defect in the customer. Take a person that doesn't know how to shoot, give them a pistol and when they can't shoot it, they blame the pistol.

I know it's not always the case and I've no doubt there are some experienced marksmen who have had a bad experience with all sorts of firearms. I don't deny that.

Rules of the Iron Coffin (WWI saying)

Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear. To bring that into the 21st century, that absolutely includes the internet.

7. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

I too have the same 9mm Millenneum Pro PT-111. If you didn't know who made it, took off all markings and let someone fire it they would swear by it. That gun is fantastic.

Hope your PT-145 is half as good as my PT-111 and you'll be very happy. Good choice.

8. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I have had a Taurus PT-145 since 2006. It is my main home defense piece from 10 pm to 6 am, when the house is dark and quiet. I have used it to pass the CWP qualification test, and never had any problem with it (no jamming, no FTF). The main reasons it is my nighttime piece is that it's OAL is only 6.1", which makes it unlikely a home invader would be able to wrestle it away from me. Also it is a .45 ACP, is plenty accurate in a home environment, and the matte stainless slide is pretty low-visibility in a dark room. The 10+1 capacity with quick reload via 2nd magazine makes it better than a revolver. I don't carry it a lot because it is kinda square and boxy, which makes it hard to conceal in the warm South Carolina climate.

9. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

I've got a PT111, and it's a good little gun although I'm not crazy about those Heinie sights.
    The thing I've heard most against Taurus is their customer service.
    It can't be any worse than Beretta's CS
    Anyway, of the half dozen or so Tauruses we have, I'll say they've all been good guns.
    I shot a PT145 a while back, and it made me really really want one.:D

10. dallascj

dallascj New Member

Gator,
    Enjoy your new MilPro. I have a PT140 and think it is an excellent and unique gun. I have not seen any other manufacturer offer such a compact grip with a full capacity mag. The MilPro grips are great and very concealable.

11. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Many times jams and failures to feed are "O.T." (operator trouble). Limp-wristing a semiauto is frequently the cause. If the shooter keeps a firm ("death") grip on the gun, and squeezes smoothly, most modern semiautos will feed dependably and shoot straight enough for defensive purposes. It is not necessary to get 1/2" groups at 50 yds to stop a perp in your bedroom.

12. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

I've got a PT-745 that I bought new it doesn't hold as many as the 145, but the grip is smaller, which is great for me. It is very accurate, doesn't misfire, misfeed or have any other problems except that it loves ammo and will go on and on if I will continue to feed it . The Heine sights are very accurate. I personally like a striker fired pistol better than a hammer fired gun because of the consistent trigger pull. You will love it!

Dave :)