Decent single stage trigger on the market?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by triggernomic, Dec 15, 2011.

1. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

I have several AR stripped lowers, yet to put a trigger group in any of them. I'm interested in a good single-stage trigger that has a light pull (2 to 3 lbs would be nice) that costs less than or equal to $100. I've done some searching and I can only find the el-cheapo $10 trigs or the all-out match triggers $200 and up. Any middle ground out there? 4 triggers at $250 would equal $1000, just in triggers. Eff that. Need something cheaper but decent, reliable quality.

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

3. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

That doesn't look bad at all. Thanks :)

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

2-3 lbs seems a bit light........

+1 on bill talked with him on the phone, real nice guy.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The info linked was my first thought. I have seen his name on other forums as well.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

A 2lb trigger might feel light to many that only or main shoot military based 2 stage triggers but for many that grew up shooting hunting rifles 4lbs can feel heavy and 2lb is just about right. Only concederation with a 2lb in and a 5.56 AR i could see is would it strick hard enough to fire the primers that are used by many for mili spec ammo. Bill Springfield my have a opinion on that to help guide with a choice.

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

He'd have to lighten the hammer. He offers that choice, but it costs a little bit more (understandable imo).

If you are looking for a precision type trigger, I'd honestly recommend a 2 stage. Its always nice to know exactly when its gonna breaks.

8. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

Friend of mine has a 2.5lb glock trigger. That's what it's supposed to be, anyways. Might be slightly more. It feels nice. It breaks when I expect it to get tight where a 2 stage trigger usually ends the first stage. This works to me more like a single stage, and I don't really like that dead space at the end of the first stage where it gets tight. I don't want it to go off on accident, though, so maybe a 3+ trigger will work. I know 6 is too, too much.

My dad's AR supposedly has about 9lbs trigger pull with a stag trigger? It is a smooth trigger but it has a ton of travel to me. Not something I'd want out of the box. Something shorter and lighter would be nice.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Try and see if your local gun store has one of those display models with a 2 stage trigger on it. That way you get to play with one before you buy it. My personal experience is that I didn't really want a 2 stage trigger. I wanted a single stage, but after some range time behind one, and some classes, I now prefer them.

A good two stage has a fairly light and smooth first stage.

When you squeeze it slowly, you'll hit the 2nd stage, like a wall, then another 1# or 2# (depending on how its set up) it'll break. Your finger will know exactly when it breaks. This is why precision shooters like 2 stage trigger, no guess work when it breaks.

When you pull it quickly, you won't even notice the second stage, it'll be one nice pull.

2-3 # seems awful light man. Remember and AR trigger doesn't travel as long as a Glock's. Even my Geissele SDE and SSA-E is set at 3.5# and that's as light as I'd go. My SDC and SSA are about 5.5# and they are great combat style weights.

Disclaimer: I'm contemplating dropping some dough on a Geiseele SD3G single stage....but haven't pulled the proverbial trigger on it yet....I am giving it some serious consideration tho.......

10. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

I'll go check it out. Our local stores usually only have one used AR in stock at any given time, and a wall full of AK's. The likelyhood of finding an actual nice AR would be slim, but there's gotta be someone at the range.

I think my friend's glock trigger is adjustable. It is almost instantly at the break point, and there is nearly no resistence feel before it breaks. It's like butter. Whereas my dad's AR trigger is pull, pull, pull, OMG.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think you're making a mistake wanting a 2-3 lb trigger. Get a Stag LPK (which usually has a decent trigger) and see if that's good enough. It's handy having an extra LPK anyway so you're not out any real money trying out one LPK.

12. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

I was considering going that route for at least one gun. They are about $60 for the whole LPK. I plan on putting a bull barrel 20'' on at least one gun, so for that one I will want a very light trigger. The others are undecided. It's a lot to think about.

This whole thing is a learning experience / project for me. I wasn't planning on going this route initially. But after buying the receivers I've gone AR crazy, you know? I want get all my receivers up and running, but not too expensive, and not too cheap, don't want to regret my decisions later.

I also have the AGI AR15 trigger job course. I might try to do a trigger job myself as a learning experiment and use a cheap trigger for playing around with that.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If you have access to a grinder, lightening a hammer is fast and easy. Then modifying your springs is easier still. That will bring you pull weight down to almost half of what it is. Very easy. Won't do anything about grityness and the like. There is a nice set screw mod that will help with any pretravel slop too which is relatively cheeap and easy to do. These wo things re easy. I've hd bad luck polishing the sear surfaces. Never got it as good as I wanted. After 4 or 5 tries.....I figured just buying a geissele worked out to about the same price....that's just my exp.

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Actually, quite honestly. Put in the milspec trigger, get some rounds downrange before you mod it. Figure out what you want from it, you just may not need anything. It really only takes a few minutes to swap out, and its very easy, but if you don't need it....why spend money on it.

15. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

Hmmm, did you try wet sanding with some oil and 1000grit 1500grit sandpaper? Not sure if a trigger will need to be annealed or rehardened before grinding on it, too?

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Stoned it, sandpaper, dremel with 5 different kinds of polishing compounds, flitz and a q-tip, got it ok. Then I met Geissele.