Decent semi- automatic handgun.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by TopekanSurvivalist, Jul 12, 2011.

1. TopekanSurvivalist

TopekanSurvivalist New Member

Hello everyone! I have recently found a want to purchase a firearm for home protection. I would like a beginners type semi- auto pistol. I am 13 however, I want to keep my mother and brother safe for obvious reasons. Could anyone help me find a budget worthy sidearm?

2. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Assuming you're legit, you've got 5-8-years to figure it out. Minimum age is 18 to own, 21 to buy from a dealer.

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I suggest you talk with your parents about this, because given your age it's something your parents must decide.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

during the next 8 years you got penty of time to get your parents to take ya to a youth hunter safety course. take your time you got a ways to go yet

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

First, what knfxda stated above is right on the money. Second, budget and self defense weapon generally do not go well together. You will look to spend at least $800 to $900 or more on a good defensive pistol, so you have 8 years to save your money; too.

6. TopekanSurvivalist

In Kansas there is no age limit to own, However, your " legal guardian" must be present to the purchase. As long as I don't have it on my person, I am legally allowed to own a firearm. It may be different in other states, but Kansas is rather, "laid back " with firearm laws. I have already spoke to my mother about it. As far as she's concerned, if I can afford it, she will help me to the process of buying it.

7. TopekanSurvivalist

Also my " budget" is not exactly low. I was saying so as to find a weapon that doesn't " break the bank". I do have $1000 to use.

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Colt, Sprinfield Armory, Nighthawk, or Kimber 1911, .45APC.

9. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Since it's ok with you mother and it's legal in Kansas I'll make some suggestion, but I need to know have you ever fired a handgun before and if so what caliber?

10. TopekanSurvivalist

@ Firearms4ever, yes I have. Snub- nose .357(not sure of the manufacturer), a Sig 9mm and a .22 ruger.

11. TopekanSurvivalist

How ever, I do believe a .357 is a bit much, though

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  12. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Given the information you've provided I would recommend either a 9mm, .40, or a .45 ACP. For 9mm I recommend Ruger, Sig Saurer, Kahr, and Glock, and pretty mucht the same manufacturers for .40. For .45 ACP I would recommend Glock, Springfield, Colt, Kimber, and Sig Saurer. If you might consider a revolver I would recommend Smith and Wesson in a .357 magnum, because you can load .38 special, .38 special +p, and .357 magnum.

13. TopekanSurvivalist

Regarding punch and power, what would you recommend? .40 or a .45 ACP?

14. moonpie

moonpie New Member

think about a good 22rifle. learn the basics and build up your skill level and have some fun to boot. i know several homes defended with a 22. use the extra money on good locks and your college fund.
    we don't shop in the same stores

15. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Well the .40 will have less power than the .45 ACP, but it offers a greater magazine capacity and is usually less expensive. The .45 ACP will offer more power, but sacrifice magazine capacity depending on the manufacturer and type of firearm you choose. I personally would choose the .45 ACP, but I only carry my .45 ACP firearm in the fall and winter. One thing I recommend you do is see if there are some local gun ranges that have rental programs so you can try some of the various firearms and calibers available.

If you can handle the .45 ACP I would say go for that, but if you find it a little to strong then I would say go for either the .40 or 9mm. Another thing to note is the .40 provides more versatility than the 9mm or .45 ACP, because there are a lot more bullet weights to choose from.

16. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Did not know that!

From NRA-ILA :: Age Restrictions On The Purchase And Possession Of Firearms

Learn somthin' new everyday.

17. TopekanSurvivalist

6-7 that is exactly what I had previously said.

18. TopekanSurvivalist

@ firearms4ever, thank you, sir, I do appreciate your assistance.

19. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

You're very welcome. Keep us in the loop about what you choose :).

20. TopekanSurvivalist

No problem man! I also have a mosin nagant in the mail, ( my first ordered weapon). It's going through our local gun dealer. Alot of paperwork but, hey, I'm getting a gun.