Decent Relaxed Range

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by A Torj, Dec 2, 2019.

1. A Torj

A Torj New Member

So I’m looking for a decent range with relaxed rules to go to. Had a recent poor experience at Piasa Armory Alton Il. which happens to be just down the road from me unfortunately. I’m looking to improve my proficiency with rapid fire and make use of my binary trigger system and all the ranges I try contacting have no balls and prohibit rapid fire or enhanced trigger systems. Does anyone have a decent place to go?preferably southern Illinois/STL area?

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

welcome to the board :)

the reason ranges prohibit rapid firing or other things such as "quick draws", "tactical stunts" etc.... is not because they have, as you put it "no balls". it has a whole bunch to do with jack wagons doing those kinds of stupid things and might end up shooting somebody or themselves. that opens the range up to all sorts of litigations, lawsuits, police investigations, fines, and possible closure etc...

when anyone goes to a range, the people that run those ranges don't know at what level anyone is shooting at, so they side on caution and prohibit Rambo-ing with loaded guns

if you want to practice Rambo-ing your rapid fire, quick draws,etc... find a "outfit" near you that conducts a "wannabe tactical training session", pay the few hundred dollars and go at it. or, become friends with someone who has a lot of land out in the middle of the boondocks and see if he will let you Rambo it :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    A Torj and Rifling82 like this.

3. 51colt

51colt Member

I suggest the desert outside of Bosie Idaho.

4. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

When i want to do some precision shooting. I go to the gun club and use the stable benches. When i want to let loose i go out to one of the bush spots. People dump stuff in them always something to blast appart to have fun with.

Rifling82 likes this.
  5. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board.
    Its easier to get forgiveness than permission.

I would just go to the range .. As long as you dont do magdumps the rangemaster may not even notice your binary trigger and think you are just skilled.
    After all Hammer pairs are a doctrinally correct response to so many threat scenarios.

7. A Torj

A Torj New Member

I don’t see any issues with wanting to improve your proficiency with faster rates of fire. If you’re using your weapon for home defense it’s a good idea because while under the stress of a home invasion most people lose track of how fast they pull the trigger and end up mag dumping without realizing it. It’s not about going “Rambo” or being a “Cowboy” it’s about practicing and getting better with different methods for different situations. Heaven forbid a real life target not sit still at 25-50yds and let you plink at it at a respectful and non-chaotic pace.

not to mention with my muzzle device eliminating close to 84% of the felt recoil I can mag dump and still keep a 4”-5” grouping at 80feet which is where most of the instances I would need my weapon would happen anyways.

either way I located a range in STL that allows you to shoot at any speed you wish as long as you are maintain muzzle control.

8. A Torj

A Torj New Member

very true and I’ve never gotten too much flak for rapid fire mostly gotten flak for my muzzle device and it’s effect on other shooters. Pretty much the reason why I won’t go back to my local range because they tried to publicly shame me for having a “loud” gun and making other shooters feel uncomfortable. The mag dump thing was really just the icing on the cake for me.

get this the range staff told me to go buy a quieter muzzle device to use at the range, like I didn’t drop 200.00 for the compensator I have. Yeah maybe a home intruder will just sit patiently and wait for me to install my original compensator, I’m sure he’ll be happy to let me because if I did I’d be less likely to hit him because of the lack of practice I had with the device. I didn’t buy the compensator I have to be an expensive paperweight. I bought it to get better with it.

9. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Well some muzzle brakes are to loud. My buddy and i were shooting and he had 2 AR'S. The one was real loud. I asked him did you get an AR 10? He laughed no it's the muzzle brake.

bluez likes this.
  10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Any range that told me I couldn't do magdumps would never see me, or my money, again.

That is utterly ridiculous.

towboater and SRK97 like this.