decent bore sight?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by twitch, Oct 27, 2013.

1. twitch

twitch New Member

im hunting in indiana with a rossi 44mag this year and wondering about getting a decent bore sight,and maybe some better sights.any ideas on those subjects?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I got a laser bore site set for Christmas one year. Even "nice ones only get you close. It's less hassle to me to bore sight with my eyeball when possible, and when not possible, like with some lever guns I just start at 25 yds to get close. Then fine tune at 100 and beyond, depending on caliber. 44mag I'd probably call it good at 100 yds.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What sights are you using, by the way?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

xs sights are pretty damn good. http://xssights.com/

not sure what your meaning by bore sight. bore sighting is a technique of looking down the bore of a firearm and adjusting the sights so the image through the bore appears the same as the sight picture. this gets you roughly on target so fine tuning can then be done with live ammunition.

my preferred optics are nikon, trijicon, nightforce, vortex in no specific order.

a 44 mag is 200 yards max 100yards is typically hunting range. i run a nikon african monarch 1-4x on my ruger 44 carbine.

5. Mercator

Mercator New Member

A Bushnell laser boresighter (if that's the word you meant) You stick it in the muzzle with the appropriate adapter, project the dot on something, and line up the crosshairs. Or buy a cheaper laser cartridge, but those are caliber specific, have weak beams, and may be crap (mine were)

6. twitch

twitch New Member

The sights are factory,are there scopes for it?i was told it could only use fixed sights because of the ejection

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

It's true for many lever actions. By fixed you mean iron sights. The manual will tell you (paper or download) Boresighting saves time and ammo with optics. With irons, it is usually redundant, I've never felt any need for it.

8. twitch

twitch New Member

So are there scopes available for it?

9. Mercator

Mercator New Member

With an aftermarket side mount from B-Square.

Attached Files:

10. twitch

twitch New Member

Alright thanks