decent ar 15 to start with?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Armed-Citizen, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

Want to get a bcm ar15 but dont have enought.
    Any good ar15 for less than 900 to start with?
    Cant get a lower on its own due to me not being 21 yet.(only 6months to go)
    Would a m&p 15 be fine and then switch uppers to a bcm in future?
    Any input would be great.
    Thanks in advance

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

M&P is a decent gun to start with. It is one of the better lower end ar15. You could have a family member of age buy the lower get the upper you want let them put the two pins in and transfer it to you through a ffl dealer once its completed rifle so there is no hanky panky with straw buy laws.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Core-15 is not a bad option either and their "entry level" model is very affordable.

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Palmetto state armory make a nice AR15 carbine with all the right specs.

I think last week I saw them on sale for 699.

5. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I'm thinking Agent works for PSA :D agreed though.

6. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

Want to get something good not just to get. Want a bcm though don't have the funds that high.
    Also with elections around the corner, who knows if there's any gun laws around the corner too.
    Was going to go for a ak style rifle in 5.56 but heard about possible feeding issues due to long straight case of 5.56 in ak rifles.
    So might just start off with a decent ar 15.
    Asof know, im considering -psa, bushmaster, stag, spikes tactical, dont know what else

7. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Take the bushy off your list if you want something good. RRA can be had for under 900 if you catch them at the right time.

8. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

Is ruger 556 a decent ar?

9. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Regardless what brand... $1000 budget will do :).
    Am i right guys? lol

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its on par with the mp15 quality wise but you pay 50% more for no reason other than the ruger stamp.

11. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

ima go to my local gunshop and ask about being 21 to buy lower reciever and what they might have in stock.
    how about rock river arms?

12. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

For an entry level AR I always recommend Stag. Very affordable and the guys I know who have them swear by them not AT them :).

13. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

Rock River is good, a lower is a lower 99% of them are made to milspec and a lot are subcontracted to the same company. Batfe laws are 21 on all lowers because they can be used as a pistol even if they have a stock already attached

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

RRA and BCM build rifles on a different philosophy. Why did you want a BCM? Does the RRA offer the same features that attracted you to the BCM?

Both companies make good rifles but I tend to see RRA as more dedicated to competition and hunting guns while BCM tends to concentrate on fighting style guns with their emphasis on the mil spec tested parts. If MP tested pressure tested, chrome lined bores are important along with upgraded extractors staked chrome lined gas keys, MP and shot peen tested bolts are important to you then go for the BCM upper.

If a barrel that is match grade accurate in a trued upper that fights tight in your lower is important. Get the RRA.

And I'm pretty sure you can by a lower that has a rifle stock attached to it at the time if sale. It would have to be sold as a complete lower and you would have to pay the excise tax just like a complete firearm but it could still save you some cash to allow you to get what you want. The price difference isn't super huge so you may be able to sell something or pick up an odd job to make up the difference in price. When I was going to college I detailed the neighbors cars for $25 a car for a couple weeks to get the extra cash for a pistol I wanted.

15. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

RRA seems to focus on 1:9" twist, and the BCM AND Palmetto guns are generally 1:7" twist. My next AR will definitely be 1:7! A lot of the LE and self defense ammo is 69-75 grains.

16. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I promise you you have to be 21 please see the signature.

17. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

my main focus would be home defense and plinking and/ truck gun and survival related.
    i would be interested in a chrome lined barrel, mid length carbine,
    ...i understand a mid length carbine willl last longer than a short length carbine correct?

18. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

For what you're using that's not a huge concern, my carbine instructor has an m4 carbine non chrome lined with almost 50k thru it with no problems. He has replaced worn out springs and firing pin but nothing major. Just take care of it and it will take care of you no problem.

19. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I bought a delton echo 316/moe not to long ago and put an eotech 512 on it and this rifle is awesome. Not one failure of any kind with just over 500rds downrange so far. The LGS had this rifle and M&P Sport for the same price. I liked this rifle much better.

20. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

>.<

-Why? Why would you say that o_O ??

Jkjk seriously tho, I haven't hadthe pleasure of even handling a PSA but on paper they look great. I'm just not looking for a budget build atm. Mebbe later for the wife or kids.