Death in Silent Places

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ShagNasty1001, Mar 29, 2013.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Has anyone read this book by Peter Hathaway Capstick? I just finished it and its fantastic. The book can be slightly graphic but goes on to explain hunting stories of some of the most famous big game hunters from Africa, India and South America. Cottontop or JPatterson, this seems like your kind of book if you haven't read it yet

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

ANYTHING by Capstick is worth reading. You might also like "Death in the Long Grass".

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I was thinking that and "Death in the Dark Continent" but not sure in which order. I do know that going hunting I'm Africa is on my bucket list

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Capstick's, Death in the Long Grass, is a must read for anyone wondering what it was like to hunt Africa in the old days! One of the most suspenseful books I've ever read!

Another great read is Jack O'Connor's, The Art of Hunting Big Game, different writing style, different continent. If you are a .270 Win. fan, this man was the most vocal proponent of this caliber that I have ever seen.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a real problem with anyone who calls himself a hunter, but hires a guide to take him hunting 25 miles from his home. Not much of a hunter IMHO.

6. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Have, I think,
    Most of Capsticks books.
    Great Writer.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hi. Koo. Excuse you... ;) somewhat.

Isn't "Death in the Long Grass" the story that ghost and the darkness was based on?

8. DavidB

DavidB New Member

I have all of his books in hardback, death in the long grass, safari, death in the dark continent, Africa, death in the silent places, death in a lonely land, the Africa adventures, the last ivory hunter, & sands of silence. Free to anybody that wants them, If you will cover shipping. My family is moving soon, that's one less thing we want to pack and lift.

9. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Capstick also edited the whole series of St. Martin's Press' "From Peter Capstick's Library" series of Golden Age big game hunting works. Never went and never will go on an African Safari but these are amazing tomes, each of them.

And I think the movie was from The Maneaters of Tsavo which is in the series...

10. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I love scarring the crap out of myself.! I'll pack in far enough that I know I can't make it out by dark , that way , I know nobody will bother me . After I set camp and get all comfy , I like reading scarey crap ! Every time a twig snaps , every time the wind blows and howls , Eeeek..! I LOVE THAT STUFF..!
    He,s on my list now , Thanks....! :)

11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Well I went ahead and downloaded "Death in the Long Grass" to my phone to start reading on my breaks tonight while at work. I'm hoping its as good as the first one I read

12. Jake86

Jake86 New Member

I'll take you up on that offer..

13. DavidB

DavidB New Member

The books have already been requested by another member, sorry

14. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

So I just finished "Death in the Long Grass" (we get a lot of breaks at work) and I must say, I'm pretty sure I'm hooked on wanting to go on an African Safari mainly for a lion...

15. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Another excellent read is Robert Ruark's " Horn of the Hunter ',, I believe that is the book in which he describes that cape buffalo look at you " like you owe them money". I too long for a hunt in Africa but I'm pretty sure that will never happen but books from authors like Ruark, Capstick, Hemingway,Patterson, and many more, let me go to Africa and India and other exotic locations. Good reading for all.

Jeff

16. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I am the very happy recipient of the books.:) Arrived today.

17. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I will share the wealth to anyone that agrees to pass along to another member when they are finished. This could be quite a bit of fun. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  18. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Just read Death in the Long Grass on the advice of this group. Good reading. David, I live in Central Florida. Where are you? If you still have them I will pick them up.

19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Beagle -- what a great idea! The Firearms Talk Library. And shipping is cheap as the Post Office in the U.S. still has a slow Media Rate!

I have Capstick's library myself and coincidently am reading Memories of an African Hunter by Lyell, Capstick's favourite author, written in 1923. I love the era's writing as much as these adventures far-flung stories including the hunting; less so the killing itself.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013