Dealing with the weight of CCW

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by AmPaTerry, Aug 7, 2014.

1. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

I carry a Glock 17 in a Crossbreed supertuck IWB at 4 O'clock.
    I carry a Ruger LCP as a BUG in a Crossbreed pocket holster in a right front pocket.
    I carry a Cobra .22 derringer as a BUBUG on half-cock and safety loose in my left front pocket.
    I carry two extra mag's for the Glock in a belt hoslter at ten O'clock
    But by the time I add change, pocket knife, keys, wallet, cell phone, etc (Cargo pants or shorts are my norm) my pants have gained a LOT of weight.
    I wear a Crossbreed gun belt which is great, but the problem is the total weight; I have to cinch the belt in TIGHT to keep it in place, and that is not very comfortable.
    Then I tried something different.
    I had a pair of suspenders with clips that just slip up under and around a belt, two in front and one in back. I put on a plain T-shirt tucked in under everything, suspenders over that, and a loose shirt worn outside over the top.
    I cranked the suspender tension up until they support everything, and wear the belt just lightly snug to keep everything in place -
    VERY comfortable now, and still have all my hardware at hand.

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would be confused as hell with all that in my pockets. I would be mugged and beat down before I found a gun. It is all I can do to keep up with one gun in my right front pocket. If I go downtown or areas where people have been known to play the knock out game I carry a BUG in a ankle holster.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

3. AmPaTerry

Just working around the place, I only carry one in open carry - either the Glock or my 1911.
    But trips to the big city which usually last all day, I want extra mag's and at least ONE BUG.
    No knock-out games here yet - probly too close to Ft. Campbell for that; too much risk of 101st Airborne noticing and beating the CRAP out of them -

4. Donn

Donn Active Member

Paraphrasing Bill Jordan, "If one gun can't do the job, another won't help." I carry one gun, one spare mag. If that's not enough I'm in for a bad day.

5. AmPaTerry

My Glock has never failed me.
    My 1911 has not failed me beyond an initial feed ramp polish.

But I am unwilling to bet my life that either of them will not fail - -

6. AmPaTerry

When I am OC'ing, I just don't worry about it; I believe any BG is going to pass by me when I am obviously armed.

7. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought New Member

Yeah, that's a little overkill. If you want to carry around that much hardware for fun, that's your thing. But in terms of actually needing it, it's not realistic.

I think being struck by lighting is the greater threat. . . especially with all that metal on you. LOL

8. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Mr. Jordan also said there is "No Second Place Winner". His reference is to a second shot, not a second firearm.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Dang, I didn't know Tennesee-istan, was that rough.

10. AmPaTerry

Not quite -
    I have an autographed copy (which I passed on to my Grandson) of his book "No second place winner". He was speaking of a gun battle, where there is a winner and a loser; The loser is not in second place, he is dead.

I am truly surprised that thus far, no one carries a BUG.
    Our instructor for our firearms class, a TN state policeman, encouraged carrying a second and even a third weapon - just in case.

Tennessee is actually one of the safer places to live, but why on earth take chances?

I also carry CCW insurance with the United States Concealed Carry Association. I don't expect to ever use it either, but it is a small price to pay if I DO have to one day actually shoot someone to protect me or my wife.

11. 25-5

25-5 New Member

That's what happens when you rely on a memory from forty years. Mr. Jordan was a proponent of a well placed first shot.

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have always felt quite secure with one pistol, and one extra mag for when things get really ugly.
    I always train with the same setup and I would have no decisions about where to reach, or what condition my piece is in, in the time of stress.

I would hate to have to fish a gun out of my pocket in a really stressful situation, I am afraid I might lose my family jewels in the process; not that I have really used them in a while, but I still appreciate them for their historical value and for decoration.

13. AmPaTerry

Turn to page 101.
    Read it.
    Get back to me.

14. AmPaTerry

Also check the inside flap of the front jacket, which begins:

"Be first or be dead ... there is no second place winner in a gun fight! The subject of this book is the way and means to stay alive when using guns in mortal combat."

Yes, Bill advocated making the first shot count.
    He also advocated to keep shooting until the threat was over.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

A decent pocket holster eliminates any fishing. When you put your hand in your pocket the first thing you feel is the grip. You will have more problems keeping your finger off the bang switch than finding the gun.

I have always worn pants with pockets since I was a little boy. The pockets are in the same place on all my pants. I have to wear a different holster for the weather, the gun I am carrying, my activities for the day. Each holster has a different retention system. It is all such a pain in the *** if I had to use a holster to carry a pistol I would go back to the shotgun on a window rack.

16. AmPaTerry

In a highly stressful situation, I go for my PRIMARY carry weapon.
    In the unlikely event that it fails, I would much rather fish in my pocket for a BUG than have no BUG to fish for.

17. AmPaTerry

Indeed, my BUG is in a pocket holster and requires no fishing.
    But it is a tiny .380, so is NOT my first choice.
    My BUBUG is loose and requires fishing, and I may or may not even carry it.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I have carried a BUG. I just haven't carried a third.

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

A Man after my Own mind and Ways!!;-)

I carry either A) a Ruger LC9 with 7 & 9Rd. Mags

B) an S&W 439 w/+1 Mags

or C) a Very Old Colt Cobra 38Spl.+P rated

BUG 's Are currently the Charter Pitbull 9, or the Cobra...

Plus I never have less then One multi-Tool and 1-2 other Knives, a Kershaw Blur Or Kershaw Blaze, and an Explorer Night Raider 3 Fixed Dagger, Or the Gerber Gurardian 1

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  20. 25-5

25-5 New Member