Firearms Talk banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

Proud to be an American
I know I'm a bit late with this information but if you sneak up behind them and grab their tail and lift their hind feet off the ground they can't spray you.
Thank you for a most entertaining story it's something that could have happened here but mercifully didn't. 馃

Proud to be an American
Seriously I have seen it done the unknown risk is rabies, so if he is acting strangely have your buddy do it!

Premium Member
On our home farm we had a horse pasture without pond access for water, so we had a water trough for the horses essentially in our backyard. A red fox often visited the trough for a drink of water.

Registered
Had a skunk problem so I trapped one with a Hav a Hart trap. Got one....now what?? I called the city animal control office and out comes a guy in a pick up truck with a tool box on it. He walks up to the trap, picks it up by the handle, puts it in his truck's tool box and tells me he'll be back with the trap after they dispose of it. He said that if you pick it up during the daytime, they're always asleep and it was. I got a few more trapped and he came out and got them the same way. Better him than me. I leave the trap in the garage now. Gut feel was that my luck was running out. I've shot them at a distance while hunting/camping in N. Texas but I didn't have to deal with them any more than that. I don't want a funny story like above....

Registered
A few years ago the wife and I were driving over to her sister's house. Semi-rural area, small barely maintained road about 100 yards long, a house on the right and two on the left...we were creeping along the road and this huge black bear just waddled across in front of us, stopped, stared at us for a minute, then mozied off between the two houses on the left. I'd guestimate he was 500+ lbs.

Last year, we had a bear tear up a smallish evergreen right next to my barn, and he also left a couple of huge piles of scat. He tore up a neighbors tree too. A week later, he left a huge pile of scat about three feet from my back porch. Never did see it.

We have coyote around, hear them frequently, but haven't seen any. Red fox, fishers, weasels, porcupines, racoons, opossums, ground hogs, and bobcats. Of those, I shoot the ground hogs as often as I can (they tunnel under my barn and make a heck of a mess), and I'll shoot any coyotes if I see them. Everything else hasn't been much of a pest...well, except for the Starlings and English House Sparrows, those I shoot, or shoot at, almost every morning and evening.
We used a bb gun and flashlight to exterminate the english house sparrows.
In out building rafters, pole barns, horse barn haymow's, cattle sheds along the eve's of out buildings, machine sheds鈽 and in select trees (elm & hackberry).
One nite I ran out of bb's and was able to whistle up a barn cat, picked up (Andrew) and walked along the out building eves, I'd stab the Andy in areas Id spotted sparrows roosting after dark with my 6v lantern(cattle sheds and chicken coops had shoulder high eves)
da1eb6fc3cbcb2d88dde19ba0da7ad2e.jpg

Scoop Andy Cat and stab him where you spotted the sparrow then lots of scrabbling sounds and growling in the dark.
After that Andy Cat would run up to me any time I came out after dark wanting to hunt sparrows.
If I had my winter clothes on he would climb right up my back and ride on my shoulder like a parrot.
We would use a light and soon found a feeble weak beam worked better that a strong light because itd rile the birds, we didnt want to flush them by making noise and excessive light.
BB guns make allot of noise and will flush birds adjacent to you.
We worked out buildings in a x pattern, hit one corner then move to opposite corner so not progressively rile birds.
After running the corners we used the + method to tackle the sides.
For inside enclosed sheds w dutch doors, we closed the top door to contain the sparrows.

鈽 though you might be able to find allot to house sparrows roosting in rafters of machine shed's and quonset buildings (internal truss type) you risk riqochet and damaging glass windows on tractors, farm trucks and combines.

Pigeons, Starlings & Sparrows

lf.jpeg.jpg
Daisy-Buck-600x600.jpg
download.jpeg-1.jpg

Registered
If you have to live trap racoon in your garden (sweetcorn patch)

How far does one travel and dump them that they dont come back?

One time we had a surpluss of barn cats and advertised cats to give away, there was a farmer came by for two gunny sacks of barn cats for his farm.
The fellow put the cats in his cars trunk and he lived over 40 miles away, 3 months later two those cats came back!

Registered
My problem is I don't have a pellet gun that is low power, so getting up close or shooting from inside, a miss means a hole in the roof or something else. The second problem is the wire they tend to sit on most outside the barn is 40 or so yards from where I can shoot, and my pellet rifle isn't accurate enough to get consistent shots. I would prefer to pick them off the wire outside.

I picked up some 22 CB shorts a while back, but been too busy to get my little Marlin 25 sighted in for them. If they shoot decently, I'll pick them off with that.

Premium Member
22 shot shells work for close range on pests without doing a lot of damage. Henry makes a lever action smooth bore 22 garden gun just for killing pests and you get a little more range with the smooth bore.
If you have a 410 bore single shot shotgun you can make light loads with 45 Colt shells.

Premium Member
How did the tread go from dangerous animals to skunks and racoons? Dangerous is something with claws and or teeth, that will eat you and scatter your remains over a half acre. The black bears around here could be a problem, but they are not, the only man-eaters we have are alligators, and they don't partake of that particular delicacy very often. I keep my encounters with them at a respectful distance and we have gotten along fine.

As a kid, I had a pet skunk for a while, my father was off with one of his drunken buddies and ran over the mama skunk so they each got one of the babies for pets. It was a cool pet. We kept it on our screened porch that ran across the whole front of the house. The reactions you would get from people who would come up the steps and go across the front porch to knock on the door was priceless. The skunk had been de-scented, but it didn't know it and it would run up to a stranger with tail a waging!

I have never had a close encounter with an intact skunk, and certainly don't want to, but I kind of like the smell when it is in the distance. On one of my jobs I drove about 40 miles through pine woods to go to work, and I would smell them often. I don't find the smell to be disgusting. Of course, at full blast I accept that it may be a bit different.

Reactions: RJF22553

Registered
How did the tread go from dangerous animals to skunks and racoons? Dangerous is something with claws and or teeth, that will eat you and scatter your remains over a half acre. The black bears around here could be a problem, but they are not, the only man-eaters we have are alligators, and they don't partake of that particular delicacy very often. I keep my encounters with them at a respectful distance and we have gotten along fine.

As a kid, I had a pet skunk for a while, my father was off with one of his drunken buddies and ran over the mama skunk so they each got one of the babies for pets. It was a cool pet. We kept it on our screened porch that ran across the whole front of the house. The reactions you would get from people who would come up the steps and go across the front porch to knock on the door was priceless. The skunk had been de-scented, but it didn't know it and it would run up to a stranger with tail a waging!

I have never had a close encounter with an intact skunk, and certainly don't want to, but I kind of like the smell when it is in the distance. On one of my jobs I drove about 40 miles through pine woods to go to work, and I would smell them often. I don't find the smell to be disgusting. Of course, at full blast I accept that it may be a bit different.
Besides rabies, a skunk or raccoon, if you somehow come in direct contact one will tear you a new one. No different than most animals.

Registered
Speaking of the live trap, setting one out tomorrow. The dang ground hogs are ruining my barn and this little game the wife and I play of "if you see it, you get to shoot it" isn't taking them out fast enough. I think they've learned to hang out at the back of the barn so we can't see them.

Registered
We get stuff that wanders into town that can get in trouble.
A few years back we had a young bull muskox come into town from down the beach.
Attacked a chained up dog, and tried to attack people trying to herd it back out of town.
Eventually the ADFG shot it because of its unwillingness to leave the area.

Premium Member
We have skunks and possum and raccoons around the barn, as well as our barn cats. They all seem to get along - particularly in a storm, where many seek shelter. Possum and raccoons often come into the barn for water or shelter, and our two barn cats just ignore them. They've even come in with us in the barn, just trying to get out of the elements...

Weird, but nice...

Canada Geese hang out in our pasture, arena, round pen, and occasionally dry-lot for our horse. Everyone seems to get along just fine. Skunks are about but generally keep their distance from the barn. They're fine if you don't bother them.

Supporting Member
Since I grew up in rural America in a very small town and close to miles of wooded acres. Like Chain I had pet Skunks. Both were rescued from a mother skunk that had been hit. One was de-skunked and one was not.
Mom got awfully nervous about Daisy #2 who was not de-skunked. Because anytime it saw a Dog or got scared you could smell the slight smell of the Skunk Perfume! :p
I always loved having wildlife. I had two Red Fox Kits and one was House Broke over the past years. Both were rescued when hunters had shot the Vixen and realized they had babies in the Den. So to save the Baby Fox they dug them up and I would get one of them. I also rescued a young Red Tail Hawk that had an injured wing. Raised it for a year until finally it got so it could fly well and I let it return to the wild. Truly an amazing experience. Made it a big Cage and kept it in the House Garage. And hand fed it everyday. Since my Uncle was a Leather Craftsman and had made a Leather Leg Tether & Leash to exercise the Hawk, Leather Glove and a Leather Sleeve for the Hawk to perch on my Arm to eat. It loved Raw Hamburger, Raw Chicken and other food.
REDTAIL HAWK.jpg

Reactions: HydroR
21 - 40 of 42 Posts