Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago we spotted Bobcat a youngin, after the kids lost 9 of their show chickens to it or another one. This cat is the only one I've heard of in the area the area sinc we moved to our first home a mile down the road in 75 Saw one other some time after that, abotu five miels away jump a ten fotofenceor climb it and into thelake or onto the shoulder. The other chickens have not layed one egg since the cat got in among them. Tonhihgt a heard the awfulist squaling and fight o nthe rear deck/porch. Soem tem back soemoen dropped off a bucn hof social cats here and I don't have the heart to kill them. Two black ones are larger and have bobbed tails but not the size ofa Bob Cat.
Every time I look out they are facing the woods to the rear of the hosue, day or night as if on the lookout for something. Well I believe Mr Bob has gotten two of the cats over the last few months or maybe coyotes. I tuned on the lights as soon as I could a while ago when I heard the squalling. Mr Bob tangled with one of the cats. The Big Black me cat was patrolling the rear of the deck Bog ran off. Surely that cat could not handle a Bobcat.
Now to the meat of the issue. The deer don't seem to care as they lay down in the little cove and the yard in the evening and night. Plenty of rats I suppose.
Do you suppose. it s too dangerous to let the Bobcat hang around. No kids in the house....and about time fro the Balck Bears to start roaming though the County.right around here again. Sooner or later one s goign to den around here. A time or two I mowed with a .357 on my hip but needlessly. We have someone mow for us now. If we see one do we wait until it gets the cats foo try torun it off at fist sight. I like having wildlife around as long as they aren't planning to chew on me. Years ago I red ofa town where Blck Bearsslep under just about everyone's front steps in a town in Pa. But...in 2019 the found a bear eatign a man at a campsite in the Smokies. he might have been dumb enough to offer it some bcon. i do put otu salt and corn for the deer and turkeys. Run them off or let them live?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some time ago we spotted Bobcat a youngin, after the kids lost 9 of their show chickens to it or another one. This cat is the only one I've heard of in the area the area sinc we moved to our first home a mile down the road in 75 Saw one other some time after that, abotu five miels away jump a ten fotofenceor climb it and into thelake or onto the shoulder. The other chickens have not layed one egg since the cat got in among them. Tonhihgt a heard the awfulist squaling and fight o nthe rear deck/porch. Soem tem back soemoen dropped off a bucn hof social cats here and I don't have the heart to kill them. Two black ones are larger and have bobbed tails but not the size ofa Bob Cat.
Every time I look out they are facing the woods to the rear of the hosue, day or night as if on the lookout for something. Well I believe Mr Bob has gotten two of the cats over the last few months or maybe coyotes. I tuned on the lights as soon as I could a while ago when I heard the squalling. Mr Bob tangled with one of the cats. The Big Black me cat was patrolling the rear of the deck Bog ran off. Surely that cat could not handle a Bobcat.
Now to the meat of the issue. The deer don't seem to care as they lay down in the little cove and the yard in the evening and night. Plenty of rats I suppose.
Do you suppose. it s too dangerous to let the Bobcat hang around. No kids in the house....and about time fro the Balck Bears to start roaming though the County.right around here again. Sooner or later one s goign to den around here. A time or two I mowed with a .357 on my hip but needlessly. We have someone mow for us now. If we see one do we wait until it gets the cats foo try torun it off at fist sight. I like having wildlife around as long as they aren't planning to chew on me. Years ago I red ofa town where Blck Bearsslep under just about everyone's front steps in a town in Pa. But...in 2019 the found a bear eatign a man at a campsite in the Smokies. he might have been dumb enough to offer it some bcon. i do put otu salt and corn for the deer and turkeys. Run them off or let them live?
Well I suppose Bob has already gotten some cat food.

·
Premium Member
11,318 Posts
Bobcats and fox would not concern me in the least, deer and turkeys have co-existed with them for eons.

I would take out any coyotes I encountered.

Get a bear tag, add a nice bear skin rug to your man cave.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
About the only threat almost any wild animal is to a human is if they are carrying some disease.
A bobcat is not going to attack you unless there is some kind of bizarre circumstances.
A bobcat or coyote along with many other wild critters will certainly eat your chickens.
Almost all areas have feral dogs and cats. The dogs can certainly be a threat.

Rural areas have critters. Accept that or move into the city.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Fence the chickens to keep him out. Maybe get a dog...
Unless you are seeing the bobcat during the day, i wouldn't be too worried. You can always call G&F. They will probably have some sound advice and potentially may be willing to live trap and relocate of it's really a nuisance.

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Cities have predatory critters too. Some have 4 legs.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Have seen one 'yote in the 16+ years we've lived at our farm. He pretty much acted (and looked) like a long-legged shepherd, checking out a large brush pile awaiting burning, and probably looking for rabbits or ground hogs. As I approached (mowing the pasture on my John Deere), it just sorta looked up when I was within about 30' and then sauntered off; no big rush. I know they are occasionally in the area; their only threat now would be to our rather astute and aging semi-feral barn cats, but they have plenty of places to escape to where a 'yote can't get to. Nonetheless, I get a bit concerned for the cats when I hear them nearby - usually across a large stream from us; and concerned for the deer that frequent our place and give us such happiness.

There had been reports of bears in the area long before we moved here, and I know that about ten years ago one climbed up an 11' post for my deck and destroyed two bird feeders (and then left). Didn't see it and wasn't certain until I examined the post and saw very distinctive (and large) claw marks. That night, I gathered up about ten metal coffee cans, tossed some gravel in them, and stacked them up at the corner of the deck where the post was. I figured the noise of knocking them over once it got up to the deck would discourage it.

Next morning, the cans were still stacked up...with a pile of bear poop on the deck just in front of them. No more damage (hadn't replaced the bird feeders yet), and no return since then. But at least "our" bear had a great sense of humor! Still trying to figure out how it got around those cans to poop on my deck...

·
Administrator
26,362 Posts
We have a few bobcats around. If I were raising poultry I would have a different view of them. One of our family cats (Miss Scarlett) our vet told us he was pretty sure that she had some bobcat in her bloodlines.

Racoons I will trap and send to racoon heaven- they will eat every bit of fruit in my 9 fruit trees if I don't (got 16 of them in one year)

Coyotes here have decimated the wild turkey and quail population- and eliminated whippoorwills (ground nesting birds). Game commission considers them an invasive non-game species, legal to take 24/7, and I will do headshots with a .17 HMR on them. Some counties here still pay a bounty on coyotes.

There is an occasional bear, but they are rare, and do not tend to be aggressive, just opportunistic feeders.

·
Premium Member
12,950 Posts
Had bear trouble game warden told me how to stop it , Electric fence charger hooked to a tin pan with peanut butter and honey smeared on it end of bear .
We have two kinds of dangerous animals here, ones with no legs and ones with two legs. I keep a close eye out, and have a plan to deal with either.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If Bobcats are in your neck of the woods you really have nothing to say about if they stay or go. They will stay. You can fence them out.
As to getting a dog to deal with Bobcats , your sending the dog on a suicide mission.
Bobcats have no fear of dogs . And one on one if a dog survives a scrap with an adult Bobcat its a very lucky and likely crippled for life dog.

Bobcats and coyotes dont decimate turkey quail grouse populations. Turkey seek out and eat the eggs or young quail , grouse etc .
We have TONS of coyotes and overrun with wild turkeys . No quail or grouse left once Turkeys were introduced.

Bobcats arent dangerous to humans , unless you corner one.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
If Bobcats are in your neck of the woods you really have nothing to say about if they stay or go. They will stay. You can fence them out.
As to getting a dog to deal with Bobcats , your sending the dog on a suicide mission.
Bobcats have no fear of dogs . And one on one if a dog survives a scrap with an adult Bobcat its a very lucky and likely crippled for life dog.

Bobcats and coyotes dont decimate turkey quail grouse populations. Turkey seek out and eat the eggs or young quail , grouse etc .
We have TONS of coyotes and overrun with wild turkeys . No quail or grouse left once Turkeys were introduced.

Bobcats arent dangerous to humans , unless you corner one.
My comment about a dog does not include lap dogs. We hunt Bobcats with dogs. They definitely can get scratched up, but my point is that a bobcat wont come around the yard if there is not an accessible food source or a barking dog. They dont like dogs.
Bobcats being seen around the house during the day do spell danger. In my experience, when you see them around the house, people, domestic animals, especially during the day, something is wrong. The cat is injured, starving, or ill. That spells danger.
Again, these are my experiences...

·
Proud to be an American
3,602 Posts
We have all of the above here and I have never had any fear of being out in the woods after dark. This time of year I'm more cautious with the bears just coming out of hibernation and hungry! Generally though there is nothing to fear.
Three nights ago it was warmer than usual and I was out back about 9:00 pm or so and I heard a very loud scream/growl not more than fifty yards and the hair on the back of my neck stood up straight! First thought was what the hell was that!! I've heard the sound before and when I asked around I got answers like Fisher or bobcat even raccoon. I slowly made my way toward the sound and when I felt I was close I turned on my light.....last thing I was expecting a single red fox! I looked it up when back inside and sure enough!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
A few years ago the wife and I were driving over to her sister's house. Semi-rural area, small barely maintained road about 100 yards long, a house on the right and two on the left...we were creeping along the road and this huge black bear just waddled across in front of us, stopped, stared at us for a minute, then mozied off between the two houses on the left. I'd guestimate he was 500+ lbs.

Last year, we had a bear tear up a smallish evergreen right next to my barn, and he also left a couple of huge piles of scat. He tore up a neighbors tree too. A week later, he left a huge pile of scat about three feet from my back porch. Never did see it.

We have coyote around, hear them frequently, but haven't seen any. Red fox, fishers, weasels, porcupines, racoons, opossums, ground hogs, and bobcats. Of those, I shoot the ground hogs as often as I can (they tunnel under my barn and make a heck of a mess), and I'll shoot any coyotes if I see them. Everything else hasn't been much of a pest...well, except for the Starlings and English House Sparrows, those I shoot, or shoot at, almost every morning and evening.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My comment about a dog does not include lap dogs. We hunt Bobcats with dogs. They definitely can get scratched up, but my point is that a bobcat wont come around the yard if there is not an accessible food source or a barking dog. They dont like dogs.
Bobcats being seen around the house during the day do spell danger. In my experience, when you see them around the house, people, domestic animals, especially during the day, something is wrong. The cat is injured, starving, or ill. That spells danger.
Again, these are my experiences...
Agree a Bobcat Fox Coyote etc that comes around people during the day is probably sick likely rabies and should be considered dangerous.
I used to coon hunt almost every night. With more than one hound a Bobcat will tree and stay treed. With only one hound , ive had several big expierenced kill hounds have the cat come out of the tree on the hound and kill it in short order. Usually by clawing the hounds guts out with its rear claws.
Had coons drown a few hounds in farm ponds too.
Bobcats dont like dogs as you stated . But let one figure out theres only one dog guarding the hen house so to speak its likely old Mcdonald will find a dead dog and a bunch of dead yard birds the next morning.

·
Proud to be an American
3,602 Posts
Went to my daughters this afternoon she's having an issue with a red fox killing her chickens and ducks. So I put out a couple of bucket sets baited with a couple of dead chickens as bait so time will tell. She doesn't think there are any raccoons around so it will be interesting. Something killed a rabbit actually a hare in my driveway last night only damage I could see was a bare spot on it's haunch. I would put a set out here but almost certain to catch a skunk and I have nothing against skunks.
Two years ago I put out a have a heart trap and caught three skunks in a row and they were all very cordial and I didn't get sprayed and in repayment I do not do that anymore!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Skunks...learned a long time ago to just leave'em alone. It's a story worth repeating...

Once upon a time, when I was a youngin in the Air Force, I got stationed at Kelly AFB in San Antonio. Given the changes in how our mission was prosecuted, this would be my last and longest change of station, nearly half my career. So, the wife and I bought a house about 25 miles outside San Antonio near a little town named Devine. It was on a dead end dirt road, 5 acres, pretty rural, so there were a lot of critters around. The adjoining acreage behind us was owned by a precher and his wife and they had a modular they set out a couple hundred feet from our back fence (our house was at the very back of our property). The house was a single story ranch style that was in an "L" shape with a porch on the front and the front door was right in the inside corner of the "L."

One night, the kids (both young at the time) started complaining of a bad smell. Seems Indy (our great dane/lab mix) had cornered a skunk right by the front door, right in the corner of that "L". By the time we looked out the window, Indy was charging through the yard with her front legs folded back scraping her face into the ground as hard as she could trying to wipe off the smell.

What to do....the smell was just getting worse, the skunk was obviously PO'd and spraying all over the wall and front door after an encounter with a 150 lb dog. So, in a flash of brilliance (something I would characterize today as more of a stroke of retardation, or just a stroke) I decided to grab my Crosman 760 pump BB gun and see what I could do about coaxing the offending critter off the porch. The stench was overpowering, so I grabbed a bandana, wrapped it around my face and doused it in some of the wife's perfume. Out the back door I went, BB gun in one hand, flashlight in the other and wafting enough Hypnotic Poison (by Dior) scent to attract every pimp for 100 miles. I rounded the corner on the short side of the "L", and carefully peaked around the corner by the door. There it was, hair and tail raised, chittering like a crazed clown at a horror circus and doing this sort of goofy dance...but it wasn't going anywhere. Shoot it on low power and maybe it'll just scurry away I thought. 4 pumps on the Crosman, BB in chamber, I took aim as best I could (the rear leaf sight long busted off), and POP! Right in its eyeball! It spazzes a little, then just sort of lies down on it's side. Whooo, apparently I killed it!

Now I have to get it off the porch, so I go out to the garage, get a shovel and proceed to remove it. I managed to scoop it onto the shovel between bouts of gagging and started down the sidewalk to toss it over the chain link fence out into the yard figuring maybe some other critter would come along and carry it off. Well, you ever see action movies where something dramatic happens and suddenly everything goes into slow motion? I experienced that when about half way down the sidewalk, the bugger stood up on the end of that shovel. Seems I did not kill it after all, or it became a zombie skunk through some belzebub like sheeite and I wasn't about have any of that. My reaction was to toss it straight up in the air as hard as I could, and for some reason, my brain, still suffering the effects of its initial poor judgement, decided I needed to just stand there and watch. I distinctly remember watching it spin on the way up in the bright moonlight and what appeared to be this swirling mist spraying out around it as it went. It was only when I was rained on by skunk spray that I realized I was in a world of mmhmmm. It was the sound of the wife and kids hollering that brought me back to normal speed. I dropped the shovel, and headed for the back porch having had enough of this crap, skunk be damned. It was off the porch, that's all that mattered. That's when I discovered someone had locked the back door. It's also about the time the wife yelled out the window that she wasn't letting me back in the house covered in skunk spray.
"So, what do you want me to do?" I asked her. She made me stay on the porch while she gathered up tomato juice and any other stuff she thought she'd heard is good at getting rid of skunk smell...I also remember hearing the tub running...and there was one other little detail... my clothes had to remain on the porch. Now, there is another tidbit of information about the pastor's home behind ours I forgot to mention: They had a big deck on the front with a lot bright lighting, as in let's light up the area including the next county bright. So there I was, after dark, on my back porch, buck naked when those lights lit me up like a Sheriff's helicopter on the Los Angeles evening news. "Hey...what're you doin over there!" hollered the preacher's wife. I mean, what do you do in a situation like that? I hollered back it was me and we had a little incident and before I could finish she was yelling about me being naked and so on. I finally got in the hjouse and into the tub, got doused in tomato juice (no, it doesn't work at removing skunk smell), and spent a good hour just scrubbing myself raw. Had a little talk with the preacher and his wife the next day and, fortunately, they didn't call the police.

No sir, since that night, I just leave skunks alone. They can dig in my yard all they want to, it's a lot easier filling in the holes than dealing with them or the stench.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts