Deactivated weapons made to fire?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Bolt Action, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Bolt Action

Bolt Action New Member

Is it possible to fix a deactivated weapon so it can fire again?
    I've heard that "Deactivation" in some weapons consists of using a cutting torch to cut a slit in the breach...is this fixable?

2. deadin

deadin New Member

With a good machine shop, most anything is possible. Including 20 years in a Federal pen.

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You could very easily clean the edges of the hole with a file or grinder, then weld it back up and machine it flush. It would be important to keep the alloys near identical to ensure consistent expansion and pressure tolerances. It would also be very important to get the proper paperwork and permits to avoid prison time. It usually isn't worth the time and effort because you can probably purchase the weapon in non-demilled form with the proper paperwork.

4. deadin

deadin New Member

Before we get too far into legalities on this issue, are you talking about a deactivated full auto or just a dewat'ed semi-auto, repeater or such?

5. matt g

Wouldn't that also require similar paperwork, or would that just be repairing a damaged firearm?

6. deadin

deadin New Member

One would be "making" a full auto which requires all kind of paperwork, if possible at all with a dewat. I would imagine you would need a manufacturers license at the very least. It couldn't be put on the "Register"
    The other would, at the most, be "making" a regular firearm which is legal for personal use. You just couldn't dispose (sell, give away, etc.) of it.

All this said, once a torch has hit the receiver, unless you are an expert metallurgist, getting the temper/hardness back to where it should be would be a real pain.

7. matt g

You really would need to be an expert metallurgist, welder and machinist.

8. deadin

deadin New Member

Well, maybe you wouldn't need to be that expert as long as you have a good medical plan and wouldn't miss an eye or finger or hand, etc.:eek: :D

9. Bolt Action

Bolt Action New Member

I'm talking about a Semi-Automatic Rifle,I'm not sure how it's been deactivated,but before I order it (Tokarev-SVT-40) I want to know if it can be repaired or not,in a worse case scenario

10. deadin

deadin New Member

Probably not succesfully. I've seen deactivations where the barrel is welded shut and then welded to the receiver. Then the face of the bolt is cut off. I even saw a Reising where the entire ejection port was welded shut.

11. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

reactivate

you can reactivat a firearem as long as it is not a full auto.they sold garands that were cut and rewelded.[fed ordnance]
    are you asking about those springfields that were parade guns?
    cost you more than they will be worth.;)

12. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

reactavate2

you are talking about an AK think you need several parts and do welding and riviting there cut so you cannot just weld the parts together.:confused: :( :)

13. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

reactivation

If it was once a full auto..NO It is dead per BATF NFA Rules.

If a cut Garand or carbine/m-14..just get a new semi receiver is a cheaper way to go. Rewelds seldom run reliably.

14. Bolt Action

Bolt Action New Member

No,No full autos...that will end me up in a federal pen,because I have no paper work stating I can legally own one,I am talking about a Tokarev SVT-40 I just ran accross,it is deactivated,and I think the way they deactivate it,is they take a cutting torch to weaken the underside of the breach...I think...:p

15. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

dewat

I have a fed ordnance garand in 308 and 18" barrel.was cut in two and welded
    shoots perfect.called rock island arsenal and was told to anneal and not to reheat treat.shoot as is.might get strech eventualy.has not yet.The SVT probley had reciever tordh cut in three pieces.thats the latest rule.if cheap you can always glue it and hang on wall. if expensive you will be soory.:(

16. butchholladay

butchholladay New Member

Wingmaster 20ga wanted

Hey Wildcatt, im from manning too, seen your post wonder if you may know anyone who would swap a remington model 870 wingmaster 12ga for the same thing except i want a 20ga.

Well thanks and hope I can find something. If you know Chris over at Simpson hardware said he had one, but dont know if its a 20ga. thanks for hearing me out

Butch