Daylight Saving Time

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vikingdad, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

OK, I think daylight saving time is a bunch of crap.:mad: Does anybody really think its a good thing?

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

It was only good back in Ben Franklins day when it saved on lamp oil, that is it, no other purpose.

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Am I going to be late for work or early on Monday?

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yes.......

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

And it wasn't even useful then, either. The working people just got up at sunrise and went to bed at sunset no matter what.

I believe it had something to do with war time.

History & info - Daylight Saving Time, early adoption, U.S. law

Also, it provides light during the times children are walking/riding their bikes to school in the morning. I could take it or leave it, really. I get depressed when it gets dark at 1630. :(

You will be one hour early. I suggest you just 'forget' changing the clocks in the Spring where it will benefit you. ;)

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I'm one of those who wakes up at the same time every regardless of the clock or the sun. Right now it is at 0230, 0330, 0430 and 0530. I usually give up and get out of bed around 0600.

In all honesty I don't see why we don't go to a "global time" like Zulu or Greenwich Mean Time. More people work off the global clock these days than the local clock. It is only a number to me.

If anything the time change makes me less productive while trying to adjust to it than anything else. I suspect that this is the more common sentiment.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

does not effect us here in the free state

8. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I say keep-it all year long...it gets dark at 5:00pm with-out it......

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed, just a reminder to those who reside in the states that follow Daylights Savings time to set your clock back 1 hour on Sunday...and a 100 years if your a Republican. ;) :D

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

That all depends on whether you set your clock an hour forward or backwards...:confused:

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

30 or so will do...

12. fmj

fmj Active Member

I grew up with it in MI. Moved to IN where we didnt have it. Then a couple years ago they adopted it and it SUCKS! Especially in the spring, it throws the circadian rythm out of whack and plays hell on my dog. He gets fed at 0600 and 1800 EVERY day...try telling the dog to set his meal time back an hour. OH and if you think a dog CANT tell time, try giving him his dinner an hour late!!:eek:

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I used to live in Arizona. I worked in Nevada. During daylight savings I could get to work 30 minutes before I left the house. But it took and hour and a half to get home!

14. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

We dont need no stinkin' DST!! :p

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am of the opinion that and supposed "savings" is offset by the costs of people showing up at the wrong time for work (late or early), accidents due to getting up an hour earlier (in the spring), labor costs to reprogram time sensitive devices, etc., etc., etc..

I have two clocks that automatically adjust for DLS, problem is they are several years old and still adjust on the old DLS date. So I've got these clocks that are an hour off for a few weeks and you can't program them not to change. I also have one "atomic" clock that is supposed to be synchronized with the Atomic Clock in Boulder CO. It stopped synchronizing when they went to a digital broadcast television signal. Coincidence? I think not. I also lost several of the channels I used to get with the analog signal at the same time.:mad::mad::mad:

16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

No kidding. It will be quite the project tonight changing the times on all the analyzers. :(

17. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Until you go up to the reservation. :D
    They're federal land and do use it.

18. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I'm to Lazy to set my clocks back...I'll get to it in a few days or so...Till then I'll be cuzzen that I'm late for everything....:(

19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Actually you would be early. In the spring you would be late.

20. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Yea...Your right......