Davidson's Gallery of Guns

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by 2111, Mar 26, 2012.

1. 2111

2111 New Member

Anyone ever been a reseller for Gallery of Guns?

2. big_bad_kitty

big_bad_kitty New Member

I am one of their listed dealers and have been for a couple of years now. Their system works great and I have sold numerous firearms I would never had the opportunity to sell if I were depending on my inventory alone. They also give a lifetime warranty on all firearms they sell to their dealers. I love their online inventory and they quote their inventory from my parameters and it is sold before I even know it has been ordered. I get an ewmail the mext day telling me the forearm is sold, who to and how it is being shipped. Great system!

3. 2111

2111 New Member

It looks like a really great system. Is it safe to assume that you have to commit to not using anyother wholesellers?

4. big_bad_kitty

big_bad_kitty New Member

Can't say what their agreement is with other dealers but I do not have any volume requirements, no minimums and certainly no promise or anything else that limits my purchases with my other distributors. If there had been any restrictions on my purchases from other sources I would not have done it. Call and talk to Virgil on their 800 number. He can explain anything you want answered and is a great person to work with. Always there adn available to help but not pushy and obnoxious!! Good folks to deal with!

5. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

How is payment done?

6. big_bad_kitty

big_bad_kitty New Member

Can't speak for others but I am on net 30. I use them a lot.

7. MrM4

MrM4 New Member

You can by from who ever you want, you do not have to be exclusive with Davidsons. Much of the time Davidsons is over priced.

8. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

I use Davidson's also. I work on a cash basis, ACH debit per sale. They, as other distributors, do not restrict you to using just them. If they, or anyone else, did, then you'd be pretty much screwed when you go to order and they don't have what you need but someone else does.

My biggest problem with Davidson's is that they haven't had what I needed to order when I needed it. As to cost, I find them a bit higher often then my cheapest distributors (not always), but by far not as expensive as Lipsey's. They by far are my most costly wholesaler.

9. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

So your retail sales are based on whether you come in low on the price quote for your area? How is your profit margin? (pm me if you don't want to post publically)

I ask because I'll soon be a local retailer (small time out of my home) and would like to know how it will generate income for me.

BTW, I searched on two firearms just to check them out and both turned up with no stock on hand: Ruger SR1911 and DE .50 AE I'd have thought being as big as they propse to be, they'd have these in stock...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Guns are flying off the shelves right now. Have you checked out AR prices lately? I have 3 guns on notification so I get emailed if/when they come in. I have not been able to find them anywhere. I am a buyer not a seller.

11. CAW308

CAW308 New Member

Election year!!! We are waiting for coated parts to come to us, so we can finish rifle builds.

12. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

Well, OldMan, actually, I base more of my prices on what the surrounding area is getting for the same gun(s). The profit margins aren't what you might think if you haven't been able to look at wholseale pricing up to now. The bulk of the price of any given firearm is there before the retailer even gets his hands on it for resale. Obviously, the quantity retailers can make more per unit sold than someone like me can. I also adjust my margin on the particular sale, giving a bit more consideration to active military and public safety people, all branches. In most cases, with name brands for sure, you will be lucky if you can make between $75-100/gun. Often, you will have to settle for making less than that.

I've been fortunate to develop factory direct deals with five different manufacturers that are willing to deal directly with small retailers and even ship individual units. These type of deals can increase your margins significantly. You have to keep your eyes open and be willing to network. This is real important for little guys to do if they want to survive and thrive in this business.

There's a brick & mortar gun shop near me that stocks reasonably well and does a good business because they price reasonably (considering the pricing in general) and they treat their customer base pretty well. I have a business relationship with the owner and once when we talked, he told me that if he couldn't make $100/gun at least, it wasn't worth him doing it. Now, he has significant overhead to deal with, so I can understand his feelings. I don't have that overhead and still have a day job, so I can afford to have lower margins to build up my client base and reputation until the day that I can expand. I'm looking at ways to expand without having to take out a big loan just to stock. I have my instructor cert now and am getting liability insurance end of the month, so I'll be offering classes. I also have the property to do live fire and no municipal issues to stop me, so it's an ideal situation. If you get inventive, you can make it work being one of the smallest fish in our big sea.

As to the other comment about sales going up now, I spoke to my Davidson's rep the other day after I unsuccessfully tried to get a Taurus 1911 from them for someone buying one. They were out. He told me that they got in 100 ARs and they were scarfed up in 4 1/2 minutes by retailers. Yep....the feeding frenzy has begun again.

I, myself, took in an AK pistol from someone that needed cash this morning. It was listed here in the classifieds and by the time I finished, it was sold pending funds transfer, not to anyone here unfortunately, but to someone that called me.

13. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

Oh, and also Old Guy...Ruger is not accepting orders until probably May. They passed the 1,000,000 sales mark for last quarter and are overwhelmed. I had someone looking for a pink gripped LCP and had the same problem.

14. 2111

2111 New Member

so if you use Gallery of Guns as a reseller who does the background check? GoG when the customer orders it or you as the FFL when you recieve the gun and the customer comes to pick it up?

15. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

That would/should fall to the retailer that you are buying it from.. GoG is selling throughout the US to you via the retailer (dealer) so it falls to the retailer to run the check since they have to comply with their state laws.

Never considered the current "feeding frenzy" that's going on however in the case of the SR1911's, at least in my area, they have been scarce since they first came out for sale. I really hate when folks go nuts like this. Sorta like when bad weather is gonna hit and all the bread and milk disappears ..

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  16. MrM4

MrM4 New Member

All new guns that are popular are scarce to small dealers, limited production numbers at the time of release and allocation put the little guy out of luck on many things. As of last week Ruger GSRs SR1911 MKIII threaded pistols were all hard to come by from distributors. Another reason why you may check 10 differant distriburors and no one has that 1 gun you need is because there is also gaps between production runs and so there is lack of supply at times until the manufacture has time to build more and get them out the distributers.

17. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

How true, MrM4, how true.