Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a link or know the way to date a model 60 38 special, I just got it today and would like to know when it was made, its in great shape.

image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I don't know much about the J frames, but I know that some early models have a pinned barrel, which yours has.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sent ya a message with the serial number renegade. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And it says 38 special, Can this shoot +p ammo, guy gave me a box of asst ammo including some +p just don't wanna hurt myself or the gun.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
If you don't have a manufacture date yet, you can PM me your serial and I'll look it up in my book. I'm also curious what the variation number is if any.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are the pics of the number, behind the strap, and under the grips the numbers match.

ForumRunner_20130204_174232.jpg

ForumRunner_20130204_174212.jpg

Attachments

·
Retired
13,598 Posts
The title had me going there for a bit.

I never dated a j frame. Most of the girls I dated could be called "A" frame. Little at the top........ :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I never dated a j frame. Most of the girls I dated could be called "A" frame. Little at the top........ :)
Sorry to get your hopes up, but this j frame is like a woman, she just feels right in your hand lol

·
Registered
21,822 Posts

I've been having a fling with a "N" frame.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been having a fling with a "N" frame.
This thread is getting a little weird isn't it lol.

ForumRunner_20130204_182115.jpg

So hard not to fall in love with a girl like this though!

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I THINK you are between 1965 and 1969.
Sweet, I sent smith and Wesson an email about it too, but I'm just curious to see how old she is. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
I'm having a devil of a time trying to date it. The 1x*** serial has to make it very early in the run. My Standard Catalog doesn't have any reference to that low a serial number or a 1x prefix. I would guess maybe the first year 1965, but it bugs me to have to guess.
I checked over on the S&W forum, but no joy there so far. I'm going to keep at it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm having a devil of a time trying to date it. The 1x*** serial has to make it very early in the run. My Standard Catalog doesn't have any reference to that low a serial number or a 1x prefix. I would guess maybe the first year 1965, but it bugs me to have to guess.
I checked over on the S&W forum, but no joy there so far. I'm going to keep at it.
Thanks for all your digging, like I said I contacted smith about it but haven't heard back yet.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Are the chambers recessed?

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
cgersty, empty your inbox. It's full and won't accept messages.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
I'm an idiot! What's the number on the bottom of the butt?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts