Date 38 Smith & Wesson CTG-- Was my Grandfathers

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by kitschuetze, Feb 18, 2009.

1. kitschuetze

kitschuetze New Member

the Serial # on the butt is 41828. Under the barrel it has
    "B 41828" and then there is an "H" about an 3/4" away to the right. 6" barrel, adjustable rear sight
    Thanks for any information
    Kit

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

Having a hard time finding this in any of my books can u post a photo?

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You might try posting the pic again, I cannot see it. If the barrel is marked like your header ".38 Smith and Wesson ctg" it is NOT a .38 special.

Is it a 6 shot or 5 shot? The 6 shot should be a hand ejector model (K-frame) and the 5 shot would be either an I frame or J-frame. With the adjustable sights I am leaning more toward the K-frame.

How many screws in the side plate? If there is a screw above and behind the cylinder, it is pre WWII. That screw was dropped shortly after WWII.

4. kitschuetze

kitschuetze New Member

On the side of the barrel it says "38 S & W Special CTG.
    6 shot. If you mean by hand ejector -- you push the rod and all 6 shells come out at once. It has a screw up and behind the cylinder of the plate -- in fact the screw screws into the frame and only the edge of the screw head overlaps the plate.

My grandfather work for Southern Calif Edison Co. at Kern River and then Big Creek Hydro Plants from 1903 through 1933. My cousin has a matching 22 on a 38 frame.

I hope this helps some. I'll try again with a picture.[​IMG]

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That would be a pre WWII Hand Ejector model. It would later morph into (I believe) the Model 15. Some would refer to this as a Pre-15 model.

6. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

The information you provided is still a little unclear if you could post a picture it would help. Using the serial number only it dates to 1904 to 1906. The letters are confusing.