Darwin Awards ( KABOOM )

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by SGWGunsmith, Jul 6, 2019.

1. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

2. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

The guy with the AR, I’ve never seen someone insert the mag, hit the forward assist and then pull the charge handle...

primer1 and Caveman Jim like this.

3. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

How often does a centerfire hang fire?

My father in law talked about his POS 38 spl. Then I got the "rest of the story". Hand loader friend of his loaded some rounds, just to the point of blowing up. I bought some commercial ammo when we went to the range, and his response, "this shoots a lot better then I remember."

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

The only "hang fires" I can recall were in a batch of .303 Enfield military ammo that apparently was stored under a dead camel in Azzkrakistan. Pull trigger, click, wait for it, wait for it, wait for KABOOM. I'm a slow learner- 3rd one that did that, rest of that box went in the brass and ammo bin at the range.

primer1, alsaqr, RJF22553 and 5 others like this.
  5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You were in Azzkrakistan too?????:p

towboater and Txhillbilly like this.
  6. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

not one person died in that video, so it isn't a Darwin award.

now, here is a Darwin award winner (that is if he didn't breed before taking himself out of the gene pool)

I especially like that there were children there to see it, it's teaches them a good learning point . " you see Susan what happens to someone that is really, really stupid? he becomes a blood stain on the bridge and racoon food in the valley":D

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    towboater and Caveman Jim like this.
  7. c3shooter

Old friend that was a retired master Sgt once told me "There's a reason for Jump pay, Flight pay and Demolition pay- today might be the day you pay the price for wearing the uniform."

Find I'm a bit short of sympathy for thrill seekers that whack a bridge at terminal velocity.

primer1, RKB, chuckusaret and 5 others like this.
  8. Double20

Double20 Active Member

I wonder what they loaded in that muzzleloader? Too much black powder (or black powder substitute) or did they load 100 grains of smokeless powder?

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Darwin awards with a gold star go to selfie takers that walk off of cliffs as they are trying to get that perfect picture.
    A 2018 study of news reports showed that between October 2011 to November 2017, there were 259 selfie deaths in 137 incidents reported globally, with the highest occurrences in India followed by Russia, United States, and Pakistan.

towboater and alsaqr like this.
  10. c3shooter

Double- I am NOT suggesting anyone try this- but I once read a report from a powder maker that set out to blow up a well made caplock muzzle loader. They were up to 300 grains of fffG and TWO bullets- and still getting nothing. They started adding a smokeless shotgun powder to the black powder load, and at around 10 grains of smokeless +100 grains of fffG blew the nipple out.

Yhe ONLY way they could consistently destroy a muzzle loader was to ram a patched ball and stop about 2 inches from the powder, leaving an air gap between ball and powder. THAT worked almost every time. Think that might be what you just watched.

kfox75, SGWGunsmith and primer1 like this.
  11. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

You mean something like this? Wearing sandals, yet!

ellis

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 1.52.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 1.53.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 1.53.39 PM.png

towboater likes this.
  12. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

I think that photo was photoshopped

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You are right C3. Air gap and black powder are a bad combination. The range master that showed the grandkids how to load the muzzle loader emphasized that and marked the ram rod.

14. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Could be!

I wasn't there to take it and it came off the Internet.

ellis

15. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

Well, at least he made a lasting impression...

W.T. Sherman and kfox75 like this.
  16. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

That does make sense!

17. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

That was my first thought on it as well, having seen that type of blowout first hand. And no, not with my own BP firearm, or in my party, but with someone down the line, with a howdah pistol.

I also had a friend's Syracuse double blow out on me, after someone who shouldn't have been within 5 miles of a reloading bench, slipped on of his handloads into the left barrel. I still have both hands, but i also have a few scars on the left one, as a result of the shrapnel.

Frankly, I saw nothing funny about the video, as a result. I also load conservatively when I handload, for the same reason, and triple check powder and components.

18. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

you have to try REALLY hard to blow up a modern firearm.
    either that, or be really STOOPUD and use pistol powder in a rifle.
    There used to be an "unofficial HK USP" web site. If I am not mistaken, they lodged a bullet halfway down the barrel and sent a PROOF load up after it. It only made a "ring" in the barrel.
    I would not try unless I was with mythbusters and had a cable on the trigger and I was behind some ballistic grade material.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    towboater likes this.