Darwin Award Alert

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by JTJ, Nov 27, 2019.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

2. BlackGuns4Fun

BlackGuns4Fun Well-Known Member

I just love a story with a happy ending...

3. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

I was reading the comments on that story, absolute absurdity. One of the comments stated “never do a mag dump, only shoot to neutralize the target.” So let me get this straight, I’ve got an AK-47 in my face and I’ve got to make sure I shoot the guy not too much not too little, just enough to neutralize him? I think I’m going to shoot the guy until my adrenaline drops enough for my brain to comprehend what’s going on. There may or may not still be bullets in my gun, I’m not too sure. I think people need to understand that if you are ever presented with deadly force and you choose to respond with deadly force and apply deadly force one bullet or all of them doesn’t really matter.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

TankTop, wells said but if he is down it is not a good idea to reload and keep shooting.:rolleyes:

5. TankTop

I don’t know, is he still holding an AK-47? I have no formal medical training therefore I have no way to be certain he is no longer presenting a threat.

I don’t know for sure but I heard the rest of the story is the man who defended himself was homeless and living in his van with at least one young child. Guy with an AK-47 in front of me and my 10-year-old daughter behind me, if I have extra magazines and enough wits to reload I may just use them.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  6. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

A whole mag. I bet that's going to leave a mark, on marble.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  7. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Surprised one of the internet wannabe's didn't suggest shooting old mate in the legs or arms people are that stupid.
    It's simple really shoot centre body mass and delete threat there and then especially if the idiot has a AK47 shoved in your face everybody's a winner.

alsaqr, RKB, towboater and 1 other person like this.
  8. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member Supporter

It will get you prosecuted in Washington state just like shooting at a fleeing perp.
    Buck fever does not count in SD, train to eliminate the threat only.

9. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Ain't no second place trophies in a gunfight. Shoot 'til you win, then stop. Not before.

towboater likes this.
  10. TankTop

Thank you!

Some people hear mag dump and immediately think intended overkill or willful manslaughter. I watched a police video where several officers opened fire on two bad guys. Dozens of shots fired, one went down and the other surrendered. The guy who surrendered was asking the officers to check on his friend, his friend went down hard. Then the officers asked the guy who surrendered if they could check him out, he had multiple center mass shots, he didn’t even know it. I don’t recall the video showing the eventual outcome but I can guess. All that to say, you shoot until the threat is no longer a threat, they leave the area, surrender and discard their weapon or they don’t surrender and you shoot until you’re certain they no longer have the ability to pose a threat.

kfox75 and Rifling82 like this.
  11. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Or someone runs out of bullets. Two guys got to shooting at each other over/under/around/through a car on the East end of our town. One had armed himself with a Raven .25 that jammed. In an ill-advised attempt to unjam the gun, he pulled the slide off of the frame. Adversary walked over and continued the shootfest. Both got charged with various crimes as the contest was a mutually agreed to event. I advised the patient (he was in the E.R. when I talked to him) "You really need to get a better gun."

towboater, TankTop and PaBushMan like this.
  12. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

This. ^^

I have seen this kind of thing debated for decades, IE, "If you get shot, you will know it when it happens." Same thing with being stabbed. Someone should ask Kevin Nash about the second one, as je was accidentally stabbed while filming scenes for The Punisher, in 2003, by another actor, due to a malfunction in a prop knife. And in his own words, "It took a minute or two for it to even register."

With getting shot. 3 times in my case, each one took a bit of time to click that I had been hit. Once with a .22 in the right leg, a .38 Super in the left thigh, and the most recent one, a 9 mm in the upper right chest. In each case, it wasn't until someone else pointed out the fact that I was bleeding, that o even noticed. Fast traumatic injury works that way. No instant pain, and it never sank in that I was neck deep in s***, until my lung started to collapse.

When the clerk stopped him, I was still ,ore than able to advance, and cover, the person who shot me.

13. TankTop

I grew up in a modestly tough area, learned real quick when outnumbered to throw the first punch and keep on swinging. One such event everyone who planned on attacking me almost immediately stopped as I was giving the ringleader a good beat down. It wasn’t until I was walking away that I felt the warm liquid, everyone else had seen me get stabbed with a large survival knife in the chest. Weirdest thing is I never did feel it, Dr’s left it open for a couple hours to see if internal bleeding started, and I could look into the wound like I was looking at someone else.

kfox75, towboater and primer1 like this.
  14. MisterMills

MisterMills Well-Known Member

That had to hurt!

And for the rest of the story:
    "I am not going to go out like a punk," he said. "So I emptied my Glock in his chest."

City police told the station that they are investigating, but said it appears to be a case of self-defense.

“You want to come looking for trouble?” Stewart said. “Come to me. Come to me. I wouldn’t do anything like this to anybody and they picked the wrong person in this case.”

A reporter for the CBS affiliate said an individual approached him and told him the now-deceased gunman had robbed him at gunpoint last weekend, in an incident that appeared similar to what Stewart described.

Yeah that hurt!

kfox75 likes this.
  15. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Andrenelen does strange things in a fight to survive situation.

kfox75 likes this.
  16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Somehow I hear the voice of the Australian Captain who was our instructor in anti-armor warfare- "Shoot the bastard until it is on fire or changes shape."

Actually pretty direct measure of when enough is enough.

SRK97, kfox75 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  17. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Simply put, he hit you in a less than vital spot, which is easier with a blade, even a large one, than most people think it is. It also takes time to take someone out that way, as knife wounds rarely incapacitate or stop the fight, if the victim is intent on causing harm\staying in the fight. In my time working as a bartender and bouncer, as is also the case when I was volunteer EMS, we treated several people who had been stabbed, and never knew it, until either someone else pointed it out, or they finally started feeling the blood loss, or other effects.

With proper care, even the worst of them tend to survive it. Usually when a person doesn't, it's because there was a good hit in a critical spot, or they have a couple dozen holes in them, and help is too far away. Even severing the Carotid and Jugular, or the Femoral artery takes minutes, so, if you could stay calm, and were close enough, in theory, a person could survive that. And generally speaking, roight at the ER door, would be close enough. Maybe, depending on the facility.

Sounds about right.

18. TankTop

Couldn’t agree more. A friend of mine was stabbed through the top of the shoulder and hit the subclavian, it was shooting 10’ high. He continued to fight for another minute (maybe less) before someone drove him to a nearby ambulance. Long drive to a hospital and he survived, I think the ambulance ran out of blood, saline and about anything else liquid they could pump him up with.

I think the moral of these stories is to illustrate once you make the decision to defend your life nobody can say how much is enough. Also if you take wounds you will probably survive if you can deal overwhelming damage to the bad guy.