Dark Bore Remedy?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by muzzelpup, Jan 3, 2010.

1. muzzelpup

muzzelpup New Member

I have aquired an M1 Garand in 30-06 that has a dark bore. Is there a way to clean up a dark rifle bore without having to rerbarrel?

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Have you fired it yet? If so, how does it shoot? Is it accurate?

My suggestion is to really clean the barrel and chamber well, then run some Sweet's through it before you do anything else. You may be surprised.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I wouldn't firelap a Garand due to the gas system getting stopped up. You would then have to give it a REALLY good cleaning. If it has a dark bore but still shoots accurately, don't worry about it. Do you have access to a borescope? Check for pitting.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Are you guys dating!! What is with the avatars? I thought We had a Bi-poler reply!!

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Sorry, it's a secret agent thing. ;)

7. muzzelpup

muzzelpup New Member

cpttango30
    I did not know such a thing as Tubbs existed. I will definetly check this out. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  8. muzzelpup

muzzelpup New Member

ca357
    I cannot get to the range due to Ohio weather being what it is. I will try the Sweet's bore cleaner and see what happens. Thanks! muzzelpup

9. muzzelpup

muzzelpup New Member

stalkingbear
    There is a small amount of pitting I could see by eyeballing with a patch in daylite. I will try putting Sweet's thru it. I'll probably get it from Midway. Won't get to the range probably til spring. That will give me opportunity to check out gas system. Thanks! muzzelpup

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I was still sleeping really it was the first thing I did that day.

May want to go with what Bear says on this.

11. stalkingbear

Another thing is the idea of running abrasive media, even fine, through the gas system.

12. muzzelpup

muzzelpup New Member

stalkingbear
    What about a good coating of Naval Jelly ( no, no jelly in my navel ) and then a good cleaning? Do you suppose it would have much effect? muzzelpup

13. stalkingbear

That would be worth a try-just follow up with a brush and DON'T try to shoot it out instead of cleaning it out.

14. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Dark but strong

I ended up putting a bolt gun back in shooting condition (started out as a barreled receiver) the barrel was dark but the demensions all checked out ok
    My guess is in your case to check your throat errosion, dark bore would pick up fouling more, and being a semi auto that might effect accuracy, other than throat errosion and the muzzle crown, thers not much one could do short of repaceing the barrel, if you use a electro bore cleaner it wouldent necessarily brighten up the bore, mabe hand lapping could smoothe up the rough spots, but this also involves removing material from your barrel, something you wouldent probibly want to do this would change your bore diameter, My guess is if you intend to shoot competions get a new barrel.
    As in my case the milsurp 1927 dated carcass (P-27 mosin) the finnish was gone and the collecters value gone, still ended up being one the most accurate milsurp bolt guns I own so far, it still has a very dark bore. I can hit a pop can at 100yds with it I'm content as is.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010