Daniel Defense warranty work

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by sgttessnc, Sep 20, 2011.

1. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

I have a Daniel Defense M4 URG V2 upper that I sent back for some warranty work. I continued to have failure to feed issues with a variety of ammunition and was seeing that the rounds were getting caught up on the feed ramp. The barrel extension is textured and gritty almost like sandpaper. From all of my hundreds of hours cleaning M16s and M4 in the Marines and the national guard, I never remember barrel extensions being this way, they were always smooth steel.

I returned the upper two weeks ago and today I get this reply.

"The armor states he’s done quite a bit of work to it. He believes it may be the “Gritty” phosphate inside the barrel extension. So at this point we are going to replace the barrel. We don’t have them in stock now. As soon as they come into stock we will grab one and test it. I will see if we can get a time line."

What do you all think of this reply? what do you think the issue is and does it warrant a new barrel?

thanks for the input.

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sorry to hear of this problem, hope it gets resolved quickly.

Often the barrel extension and barrel are treated as a single unit and I guess that's the reason they're replacing it as a unit but you'd think DD has the resources to change just the extension.

Barrels and upper receivers have been in short supply at many vendors for much of this year and it seems to have hit DD pretty hard, even though they should have an advantage due to making their own barrels... :confused:

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

they prolly dont make the actual barrel from scratch. they prolly buy blanks and bore/rifle/chamber or some all one combination of those.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

That's to bad but I'd say you're lucky you had this problem w/ DD and not one of the other manufacturers you hear horror stories about.

5. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

as for the customer service side of the story, plain and simple its great. I was looking on the website and its said to retain the original receipt for warranty work, I was worried because I bought this used from a gun store. When I called DD they didn't ask for the receipt, they emailed me a UPS label and said they would fix it. I was worried about not hearing anything for two weeks, but besides that I think they are doing an excellent job and are living up to their reputation as being an excellent company to work with.

Thank you Daniel Defense, fix my baby and bring it back home my lower misses it and the critters around here are getting bold.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I believe Daniel Defense does make their own barrels, they certainly say they are "a leading manufacturer of barrels for the AR15/M4 platform". And their CHF barrels are considered among the best in the business.

Definitely keep us up to date on how it goes, sgttessnc, and good luck!

7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I'm surprised that their smith couldn't simply smooth the questionable area.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I've been wondering that myself! Seems like an easily fixable problem but we haven't seen the upper and DD has, so there must be more to the problem than we know about.

9. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

I received my upper back two weeks ago and I took it out to the range today. No FTF and no feeding problems whatsoever. There are no more explanations about the barrel replacement but I'll take a new one. My rifle now performs like a well oiled machine. Thank you Daniel Defense for following up on you word and righting a mistake. 200 rounds without a hiccup.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Thats a great turn around.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Glad to hear DD took care of the problem!