Dancing with Coyotes.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Jo da Plumbr, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Dancing with Coyotes.

So I take my Dogs to the park yesterday at 6:30 am like every weekend. This time we were at the baseball fields. Four large diamonds together surrounded by the wildlife area. As we are walking the dogs charge of into the centre of the fields. I look up and see a coyote crouching on the grass. I call my dogs back and as they turn the coyote goes after them. My dogs are 65 and 70 pounds. This coyote was at best 45, but it was chasing my dogs like it was planning to kill. I run out into the field waving my arms and yelling. I get within 30 ft before this coyote breaks off and heads the other way. As the dogs and I walk off this thing starts stalking us. I have the GF hold the dogs and start stalking the coyote. Now of course California in their wisdom will not allow me to have a gun to defend myself so I’m chasing this thing with just a Cold Steel Recon. I’m wondering if I’m going to have to go Tarzan on this coyote and try to kill it with just my knife. Finally after a little back and forth it heads across the field. I keep an eye on it and see it is now stalking a woman with her two dogs. She sees it and starts to run. The coyote is closing in on her. I’m running that way to help but I’m a good two hundred yards away. Luckily her two big dogs were smarter than her and turned and faced off the coyote. It trailed them all the way to the parking lot where we got in our cars and left.

Now that’s an Easter morning I won’t be forgetting.

2. detroit2786

detroit2786 New Member

Coyotes are becoming a problem up here as well. I live in a dense suburb close to the freeway.

A pack of three went after my neighbor's 80 lb lab mix the other night.

I have a 90 lb rot and I make sure to stand with him when on the leash, and in addition to my 9mm I carry pepper spray when we go on walks. Coyote's are new to the area, and my biggest concern is the young children running around the neighborhood.

That lady almost made a grave mistake running. From what I have read, the best thing you can do is challenge the little bastards.

Fun Easter though!

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Coyotes are becoming a problem in a lot of areas. About a month or two back a town here had a child attacked by what was assumed was a coyote. The kids dog and his mom scared the "animal" away and the kid was taken to the hospital, presumably for rabbies shots and the like.

The locals got together and did a hunt and wiped out about 12 or 15 of them, but this is an area that you wouldn't expect coyotes to just wander into town from the woods.

I am all for thinning that heard with prejudice. Those things can do a lot of damage in a short period of time if left unchecked.

Glad you and the family are okay Jo.

JD

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Makes you wonder if the Yote wasn't rabid!

5. Brad

Brad New Member

Damn California Gun Laws!

Here in Missouri you would get in trouble for NOT shooting the coyote

My Mom (57 years old) got cornered by 3 yotes a while back about 300 yards away from her house. Mom hit 1 in the neck with a .357 sig (body recovered 30 yards away) while the others decided to be out like fat girls in dodgeball.

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That's strange behavior for a lone yote, daytime, stalking alone,etc....

I've seen lots of them around here and getting more frequent every year. My old lab was attacked by 4 or 5 of them once ,but he managed to fight them off. They need to be thinned off for sure.

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I've heard you can't ever thin out the coyote population very much. That the females just give birth to a greater number of pups if you take out very many.
    Is that true or just urban legend?

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

It's the eggs.....we have to go after their eggs.

9. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Let's scramble some up at the mini meet:rolleyes:

10. Car54

Car54 New Member

Jo,

You might want to let your wildlife division know about the incident. They might want to see if they can trap it before it hurts or kills someone or their pets. It's obvious that it doesn't have a lot of natural fear anymore.

11. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I did that, but LAs broke. I doubt much will get done.

12. spook

spook New Member

We had the same problem in Denver, Greenwood Village. The city hired a professional hunter to come in and take a few of them out. I would have done it for nothing.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Broke? That's the excuse they will use when someone sues them for failing to act. Call the TV stations and newspaper. It is amazing how quickly things can get done when there a$$ is to the fire. Kind of hard to claim you did not know about the ravaging beast when it gets air time.

Call the state fish and game dept. They usually have contracts with professional hunters who will swoop in with night scopes and supressors. Dead yotes and no commotion.

Here in Texas they air drop oral rabies vaccine in high population yote areas. the yotes eat the bait and are immunized. We also have PH's that have sniper gear the military would drool over. Mostly they kill hogs around here.

14. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thats a hungry, desperate wild animal for you. They do weird stuff when food is short and during the mating season for that matter. Up here in the great northwet, while out in the woods, we take care of the little turds. Theres got to be a pack of over 100 of the little buggers just outside of town. Good target practice material.

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Coyotes and many other predators can alter their gestation period. Delay birth in lean months, or speed it up if food is everywhere. I don't think they can count, so if you kill 3, next time they will have 4 pups or anything like that. I think that if there is plenty of food because of weeding alot of them out, the female may give birth more times in a year.

Getting bad around here as well. Lots of woods around me so you rarely see them in the open.

16. doctherock

doctherock New Member

bet you hear them at night though

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

We do. A couple of weeks ago, the wife woke me and asked if I heard the coyotes. I said, "I do know." They sounded close. There was good moonlight, so I asked if she could see them. She said she looked but could not see them, so I rolled over and went back to sleep. The next day I caught her looking through the Cabela's catalog at night vision scopes. I told her they work best on AR's. Her eyes lit up a bit. :D

18. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I was sleeping on a trampoline the other night and I could hear coyotes, close.
    My friend and I felt pretty safe because we were suspended in the air and there was a large net around us.
    Still, those guys are noisy little bastards.

19. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I was just about to say the same thing. A single coyote in it's right mind wouldn't have pressed the issue when outnumbered.

20. detroit2786

detroit2786 New Member

That or it was a pup, this time of year the young ones get pushed out to fend for themselves.