Dan Wesson vs Smith and Wesson

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by WannaBeVagabomd, Jul 10, 2013.

1. WannaBeVagabomd

WannaBeVagabomd New Member

Looking at 44 mag for the occasional moose or bear or other friendly creatures who try to murder me in Alaska. Any opinions?

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If you can find a DW44 mag you will own a revolver that can handle the hottest 44mag loads that simple put will not fit in a s&w 44mag do to the longer cylinder. If you gota have a 44mag and can't find a DW ruger SRH or Taurus Ragging Bull can handle the same loads but a model 29 will work too. ..

Opinions!! If your going to hunt ether can do but I favor the DW do to owning a few and knowing that if I want a 4" barrel or 8" its a two minute swap. . If needing protection only?? A 12ga short barrel full of DUPO monolit32 an rossa 32 slugs. Thats what a small group of us packed on a fishing trip.
    http://ddupleks.com/index.php/en/products.html

My DW 44 8" and a 357 4"- [​IMG]

3. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Dan Wesson, hands down.

Both will work, but the Dan is going to be generally higher in quality.

4. WannaBeVagabomd

It's going to be for both hunting and defense (from everything really, go open carry!). The extra barrels sound nice for changing purpose, although frankly I think 6" is a good all purpose size. I don't suppose anyone knows where to get G10 grips for a Dan Wesson? Whatever I get I'll have a few modifications for.

5. WannaBeVagabomd

And it'll be shot constantly. The biggest attraction up there is the mountains, hunting and total lack of gun laws. If you want to go in the woods and just go crazy on the forestry, go ahead. That's what my sponsor said anyways. 2 years up there and I should be a pro with it.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a Dan Wesson revolver is a fine pistol. finding one is not going to be as easy as getting a Smith and Wesson, beings they have been out of production for many years now. my father has a DW 15-2 357 Magnum he bought new in about 1980 or 81. has the 8.5" barrel and is one sweet shooting pistol.

i think that if you find one at a price that is comfortable to you, you'll have a pistol that will serve you quite well for a lifetime. but the availibilty of the Smith will be easier to find.

7. WannaBeVagabomd

I found 2 for under $800. The 29 model used ran $800 for a used easy.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have to agree with the DW.

9. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Uh, you're going to give them a .44 Magnum?:):):):)

Ya'll know me, I'd pick a Ruger Blackhawk, 4 5/8" barrel, in .45 Colt, loaded with some 300~350 grain cast bullets!

Sort of like this:

[​IMG]

Bob Wright

10. Clem

Clem Member

I have a DW744, which now has a light 6” barrel. It weighs 56 oz, which is a bit much, IMO, for a carry .44. It is the most accurate .44 I have, and for hunting with a .44, I would probably take it, but for a carry gun, I would be more likely to choose my 629 Mountain Gun, which weighs 40 oz.

11. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I really like my Dan Wesson revolvers: A 41VH with 6 & 8 inch barrels, A 744VH with 4, 6, and 8 inch barrels, a 744FBH with fixed 6 inch barrel, and two 745VH's with 4, 6, and 8 inch barrels. I used to do a fair amount of silhouette shooting, and the 8 inch barrels did pretty well at 250 meters. I use them for hunting hawg because of the smooth action and the superb accuracy. One shot thru the lung-heart-lung path takes 'em down fast. The DW's are kinda heavy (4 lbs) to carry, but I used to carry them a lot with 4 inch or 6 inch barrel. I have adapted my feeble old carcass to carrying .45 ACP or .40 S&W semiautos since I've been old and decrepit, but still like to shoot my Dan's.
    So far as DW vs S&W, the DW's are stronger, more versatile with the easy-swap barrels, and for me, easier to shoot accurately due to the greater weight.
    Less comfortable to carry, though.

12. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

image-2724729621.jpg

image-2259041893.jpg

I have a DW in .357 maximum, great shooting gun with enough muzzle blast to toast a marshmallow.

13. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

There are plenty of gun laws.

What part of Alaska are you coming to?

14. WannaBeVagabomd

Fairbanks. From what I understand, it's very remote, which does me just fine. Sounds like the overwhelming vote is for Dan Wesson. Any place for parts, namely a pair of fixed, preferably night sights? Just personal preference.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Not sure about a practical use for a fixed sight on an adjustable sight frame but EWKarms is a small side line business that can supply most things DW for upgrades or maintaining a DW revolver along with the higher price CZ / DW parts. Also LBs custom grips for a nice BBQ grip.
    http://www.ewkarms.com/
    If anyone can make an affordable fixed sight for you EWkarms can. Its still got to screw on,soooo

16. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Fairbanks is a pretty large busy town for Alaska standards. (not as remote as you are may be thinking, there are cabins everywhere) It is about the hottest in the summer, and about the coldest temps in the winter. But you are far up enough north that the Aurora Borealis is usually always visible on cloudless nights

:)

17. WannaBeVagabomd

There's a Dan Wesson 44 with a ribbed barrel. Is that barrel detachable? It's 8" so its fine for now but just thinking ahead.

18. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Yes, unless it's 44FBH or 744FBH model. A 44VH or a 744VH has a swappable barrel.

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a 4 inch 629. I love that gun. I would not be afraid to hunt with it up close. But I would not shoot it past about 35 yards though. If you really want a hunting gun I would be looking at a Super Blackhawk. I have a 7 1/2 inch one. It will handle anything you want to put in it. I have shot 310 grain hot magnum loads out of mine. That is the stuff that will make your hands shake and give you a flinch after a couple of cylinders full.