Dan Wesson Model 15 vs. Ruger GP-100?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by orangello, Feb 21, 2012.

1. orangello

orangello New Member

What could i do with a DW model 15 "pistol pack" that i couldn't do with my Ruger GP100, 6" barrel? I see people selling these DW 15's and the "pistol packs" come up for sale on gunbroker and such, and i wonder how i could justify buying one when i already have a .357 that i really enjoy shooting.

I know i could change barrels, but i don't plan on using it for carry and don't know how much of an advantage an extra 2" of barrel would be for non-competitive target use. Is the DW 15 able to handle hotter loads than the GP100? Is the DW 15 naturally more accurate than the GP100? As somebody who will be using the revolver only for target shooting and maaaaybe some thick brush area hunting, is there an advantage to the multi-barreled Dan Wesson .357 as opposed to my 6" GP100???

OK, obviously, there is the cool factor of having different configurations/options for my revolver.

Lil hep from teh geezers please. :) Rationalizations welcome!

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Because you can't have too many .357's. :D

3. regload

regload Member

This is only hearsay, and therefore not admissible in court: my brother-in-law had a Dan Wesson and hated it from the beginning. Don't know why (something about poor accuracy), but I will ask him next time I see him.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I really would NOT take that remark to court :rolleyes:

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

purpose of longer barrels is to squeeze more velocity out of a given load. it also increases the sight radius. the more distance between front and rear sights the more accurate the shooter can be. note however that barrel length has little to do with inherent accuracy.

another bonus is weight. heavier guns have less felt recoil.

longer barrels also have less muzzle blast.

those are the benefits i can think of off hand.

depends on when it was made. there were a couple of years that dw was not very good in production quality. kinda why they were going out of business and eventually ended up being bought by CZ.

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Subscribing to the thread...Looked HARD at the DW before I landed on the GP...interested to see what opinions are...:cool:

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I'm pretty sure that the 8" barrel on mine is the only one that has been on mine for the last 30 years. My Dad bought it new in 1981, we played with the different barrels far a few weeks. Then the scope went on the 8" for silhouettes. AFAIK, it's been in that configuration ever since. In theory, interchangeable barrels are cool. But I cant help but wonder if most people just get it the way they want it and leave it alone.

8. stick_man

stick_man New Member

If you take a look at a listing of silhouette competition winners, you will find high numbers of DW shooters in the top slots. For some reason, the DWs have been VERY accurate despite having the interchangeable barrels. They are built like tanks. Quite simply, they are built to withstand a lot of abuse and remain accurate.

I tend to agree with Overkill about finding a configuration you like and then sticking to it. I have had my DW for about 18 yrs now (got it with 2.5" and 6" barrels) and have had the 6" barrel on it for all but MAYBE 2 or 3 days of that time. If I were to use it for EDC, I would be switching the barrels a little more often, but I don't carry it except when hunting.

I would take another DW over a GP100 any day of the week without hesitation. I have been looking for a good deal on one in the .41mag or .44mag for a little more variety in my handguns.

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

As others have said, Dan Wesson accuracy and quality will trump Ruger's any day of the week in my opinion. As for the Pistol Pack, I think the main demand for them is rarity and value. Complete sets are closely following the price trend of Pythons. It's not so much for function as it is for value. How many Ruger revolvers were made compared to how many DW Pistol Packs? Now that the Pistol Packs are out of production, their value will continue to increase.

I could be wrong, but I don't think people are paying the premium because of the versatility.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  10. orangello

orangello New Member

That is what concerned me. I'm no long-range competitive target shooter.

I will skip the pistol pack and just keep an eye out for a deal on DW with the one barrel i would actually use.

Thanks guys.

11. Clem

Clem New Member

My Dan Wesson is a 744 in .44 mag. I got it with an 8” heavy barrel for silhouette competition. It worked well for me. The interchangeable barrels was handy because I changed the barrel annually after only about 1000 rds. to maintain maximum accuracy. The design is strong, but has a bunch of little parts that make it a bit of a pain in the a$$ to take completely apart. After I stopped shooting silhouette, I eventually put a light 6” barrel on it. I then found that the chamber throats were excessively tight and reamed the throats to even things up. It is the most accurate .44 I have, but I actually prefer the design of the Redhawk and Super Redhawk to the DW.

I have never fired the .357 DW, but my GP100s are both very accurate and I doubt the DW is capable of more accuracy, and since I don’t think I need an 8” or 10” .357, I won’t be considering the DW to replace or supplement my GP100s and S&W 627s.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my father has one of the older DW 15-2 models, 1981 vintage, has the 8" barrel, we have shot this pistol many times over the years. as far as accurate, it will hit what you aim it at. my father has had several DW pistols over the years and as far as revolvers, he just wouldn't consider any other brand. as dad is almost 70 now, doesn't shoot near as much as he use to, this one will probably be last one in his collection. the last gun he bought was a few years ago a S & W 9mm for CCW. i have tried over the years to introduce him to other revolvers, S & W, Ruger, Colt, ect., but he still thinks the DW is the one to have! i would buy one if it became available at the right price.

13. hossman

hossman New Member

Original poster said, "What could i do with a DW model 15 "pistol pack" that i couldn't do with my Ruger GP100, 6" barrel?" The answer is probably nothing. The reason I bought a Dan Wesson is because I didn't have one. The reason I have 15 DWs is becasue I only had 14 at the time. I am a DW horder, accumulator, collector, call it what ever you want. I have a DW that was one of the first made in the early '70s and it's like new with a serial number of 70. It may be the cool factor, I'm not sure. Or better still, I may be a gun nut. I'm in the market for number 16. I only need one more. BTW, I also have others made by various mfg in different calibers. Some people need one gun, I need one more.

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

orangello How much is the pistol pack? It is nice if going camping or trail walking to swap to a short barrel. And for practical accuracy the sights will need no adjust between barrel swaps if you keeps notes on how they shoot. The DW 15 series is only out shot buy freedom arms ,sometimes and can handle hot loads with no real long term worry. Mine was used for hunting with a red dot and 8" barrel for 20 year. Still as accurate 35 years later as it was when new. Also grips on a DW mount on a post so custom grips can be made for the pickiest of people. Very nice triggers stock but with a wolff hammer spring added mine has a SA pull of 2lbs. There larger frame revolvers are even better and stronger. Check out EWKarms for a small compny that builds many upgrade parts for DW revolvers also. And CZ still makes parts that fit in the old model and new one comeing out. Barels were made up to 15" for long distance matchs

15. Axxe55

the DW pistols are great pistols and one of the first magnums i ever shot when i was younger as my father always seem to have one or two. he absolutely adores them. i don't know how many he has had over the years, but i do remember one he had and it was the pistol pac. seems like it had three or four barrels, a couple of different grips and some other parts with it.

seems either people love them or hate them, but they do have a loyal following of admirers.

16. crossfire

crossfire New Member

The factory standard for accuracy of Dan Wesson revolvers used to be 1" at 100 yards. The only quality issues were the Norwich factory guns and that was due more to fit and finish than accuracy. The sale of Dan Wesson to CZ was for the name and yet another 1911 clone, not for the revolvers; as evidenced by CZ almost immediately letting the revolvers die.

17. Axxe55

they just recently started making the revolvers again. of course they aren't the same ones as years ago, but they are similar. the old DW revolvers are in a class by themselves, just like the old Colt revolvers. even if Colt brought back their revolvers, they still wouldn't the same as the old ones, just like Smith & Wesson, the old S & W revolvers were in a class of their own, that the new ones just aren't the same.

18. hossman

hossman New Member

19. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

It will be a couple years before the new DW becomes common enought to get one for most folks. My old 15-2 would fire 6 rounds inside a 3' at 100 yards useing a red dot with a 4: dot shooting at a 6" black circle. 35 year later it will stil do that. it has somewhere north of 20.000 rounds fired. 8000 of those were a 180gr load. Gus still tight even still look good. The new ones are built on new all new macnines building revolvers that will have parts that will change with the old ones. Should be a good gun , Its just the 1100 dollars!!!

20. ctc8098

ctc8098 New Member

I have an unfired Dan Wesson .357 magnum pistol pac, bought as an investment and it is truly a beauty. I also have two Model 15’s and enjoy gapping the barrel and otherwise tuning them – which is remarkably easy compared to other revolvers. I also have a Colt Python 6” and a Model 27 6”, and for conversation a Model 29 8.7/8” too. None of these guns are as robust at Dan Wesson’s.

I had an Israeli +P+ 38 Special round rupture in my Dan Wesson, which kept working without a hiccup. We figure it was a double load or at least an overload, given the “bang” and splintering of the case. Dan Wesson’s were built like tanks...pretty much like high end Ruger’s are today. One difference is the ease of maintenance and repair.

The DW’s were engineered so that you didn’t need to go to a gunsmith to affect most maintenance and repairs. Built to be simple, rugged, easy to maintain and accurate. The last part due to tension exerted on the barrel/shroud nut and the cylinder lock at the forcing cone.

Revolvers are machines. And like all other machines, revolvers, to use a technical term, “go out of whack” sooner or later. If you never remove the barrel from the DW and never check the gap, you’re eventually going to see degradation in performance. But same goes for the Ruger.

The DW guns made in Monson, Ma. are top notch. Some variation in quality has been seen in DWs from other locations. The guns are good to shoot, but lack some of the finer “touches” or refinements indicative of Monson guns.