Dan Wesson Choices?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Jstrong, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Well looks like I should be able to swing a Dan Wesson for my carry gun as a present to myself for my 21st bday. I'm looking at ordering a guardian in .45,but there's also a stainless VBOB at a LGS which will end up about 100-200 dollars more than the guardian. Question is,stay with guardian,or bite the bullet and go for the VBOB?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I enjoy my C-BOB. It's a little older and in 10mm, but it is sweet to handle.

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

The VBOB probably wouldn't be worth the price increase for me.

4. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I thought the same at first,thinking that the only difference are an all steel frame and backstrap checkering and some other things of that nature. But others are saying that the valors are fitted better since that's they're flagship model. That the valors are basically semi-custom and that the guardians are just high end production when it comes to fit

5. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

I freakin LOVE the polished/matte stainless V-Bob series in compact 4" barrel 45acp. GORGEOUS guns

That being said, save yourself $500 and consider many other 1911's that are just as good in quality and will allow you to spend the rest on a nice holster and lots of ammo ;)

6. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I don't think I'm going to step it down, it's my 21st birthday to myself and I want something nice.

Also I have a hard time believing any 800-900 dollar 1911 is going to be of the same quality of a Dan Wesson. Dan Wesson uses all premium internals,no MIM. Plus is hand fitted I believe. Also since its my carry gun It will be the very best gun I can afford,my life is worth that at least.

7. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Well my friend, my strong vote is the stainless V-Bob which is also high up on my wish list ;)

Mmmmm mmmmmmm

[​IMG]

8. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

1000 dollar 1911's are riddled with MIM, Dan wessons are all tool steel internals and are hand fitted I believe so IMO I don't believe guns in that price range can even compete. Also I just plain want something really nice for myself for my 21st bday.and any gun I have to depend on to save my life is worth any amount of money.

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If you want the best just to have the best, get the VBOB. But I doubt notice any difference in quality to justify the price difference. If its a carry gun, lighter weight would be more important to me than just a small amount more of hand fitting. But it's your gun, so get the one you think you'll like the most. Can't go wrong with either choice in my book.

10. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Just imagine how many people you will make jealous with either one. Not talking about myself of course :rolleyes:

11. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Both DW models are production guns.
    Both models are excellent (high-end) examples of production guns, but production guns nontheless.

Also, I own a Guardian and I own a Springfield loaded model ($800 production gun). No knock on Springfield but the DW is a far superior example of a production gun.
    Either model choice would be a good one - you will not go wrong with either.

12. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Thanks for the input (to everybody). I keep hearing the same thing you said from others. That Big name production 1911's are usually a safe bet on all counts,but DW truly gives you everything you could hope to expect out of a production gun.

13. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I think you already know you want the VBOB... So, GO FOR IT!! :D

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

So...the CCO doesn't blow your skirt up? ;) Great carry gun & a heck of a shooter as well. I'm really happy with mine.
    If I didn't already have the CCO, I'd be sorely tempted by the Guardian. IMHO, the alloy frame will make a it a better choice for carrying than the V-Bob. YMMV.
    The V-Bob is a great gun, but you're approaching Les Baer pricing territory, especially if you get the Black Duty finish. I really like DW products, but they might want to look at their pricing.
    http://www.lesbaer.com/prices.html

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  15. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Well I do put merit in the aluminum frame of the guardian,but I have wondered if it would hold up as well as a steel frame in the long run,I've never had the opportunity to purchase a gun this nice before and probably won't again for a long time. And I want to be able to pass this gun on to whomever I see fit once that time comes and would like it to last that long.

About the CCO I am not a small guy and have large hands and just don't take well to the feel of that shorter frame,I like a full sized gun when at all possible. And most people I've talked to say a bobtail is just as easy to conceal as an officer sized frame in all but swim truck weather.

And the les baers are out if my price range. The VBOB is about all I could muster.

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

If it's a carry gun that will be shot now & then, get the Guardian.
    If you want a shooter that will also be carried, get the V-Bob.
    Choose correctly, and you should be able to pass on either one.

I'm 6'3," 250ish lbs. My hands are not small by any means. I find the CCO is quite manageable. If you have the opportunity to handle one, do so. You might be surprised. But, yeah, the bobbed Commander style frame probably isn't much harder to conceal.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  17. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I'll be sure to look for one to handle,or a CCO type gun. I know of a c3 on consignment at the local gun range. I also should mention that having that full capacity mag as opposed to the officer capacity gives me a warm and fuzzy,not sure how I feel about being restricted to 6 and 7 rounders

18. X-5

X-5 New Member

ALL Dan Wesson's are fit to the same level. The Guardian is essentially a aluminum framed V-bob.

19. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I tend to agree with a lot of what Axxe has to say, but I'll have to disagree with this. Having owned both RIA and Metro Arms 1911s as well as two Dan Wessons, there is absolutely no comparison in quality. Nothing wrong with the RIA or Metro, but DWs are in a completely different galaxy in terms of quality, fit, and finish. Having owned a lot of other different 1911 brands, I'd put DW above every other production gun.

20. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Axxe you are one of a few people one this board who's posts I always pay attention to.

But there's not a snowballs chance in hell any RIA,metro arms,or high standard is in the same class as this V-BOB. Price aside of course.

And I'm a budget gun guy btw,the most expensive gun I bought before the V-BOB was one third it's price.

The guns you mentioned are awesome guns for the money,but they just don't have the fitting and features higher end guns have.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013