Damn this .22lr Jag!!!

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by BigByrd47119, Mar 26, 2010.

1. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Ok so to the point. Iv got my Ruger 10/22 and I cant seem to find a single jag thatll go from muzzle to chamber (as it wont even enter the muzzle) or from chamber to muzzle (as it wont make it all the way before becoming stuck). This isnt the first jag Iv had this problem with. Any advice or can someone at least tell me where the hell I can get a jag thatll work?!

Any help is appreciated!

---Justin

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

3. montveil

montveil New Member

second on the patches. I find that round patches work better with the smaller calibers.
    Maybe you might find a bore snake easier

4. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Im fairly sure I have the .22 patches, but they are the square cut ones. Have to look into some round ones I suppose.

Thanks guys!

5. Highpower

Highpower New Member

For inquiring minds.....
    What type/brand of cleaning rod and jag are you using?

And it IS a jag - not a slotted patch holder, correct?

6. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

It is indeed a actual Jag. Im not anywhere near the rod at this moment but when I get a chance Ill go grab it and give you the specifics

7. montveil

montveil New Member

If your patch extends beyond the jag recess it will jam in the barrel. Maybe just cutting the corners of the square ones and ensuring the patch rear will fall behind the jag into the recess
    IMO only that part of the jag shoulder does the cleaning and the rest is along for the ride and to pick up loose stuff

8. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Open for debate....

I was taught a long time ago to only start from the chamber, never go in backwards.

Anyone else ever heard this?

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Make sure you have a jag for a 22LR which is a bullet diameter = .223 in, Not a jag intended for the .223 Rem which is a bullet diameter = .224 in.

10. Duddn

Duddn New Member

Heard it hundreds of thousands of times, but its the only way unless you have a bore snake. I clean my marlin 60 from muzzle to chamber with a new patch each time through, I haven't seen anything that would indicate it is affecting accuracy.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

No it is not the only way to clean.

Bore snakes are WORTHLESS. After one pass they are dirty that is like changing the oil in your car and putting the oil from your oil change before back into the motor. If you want something to get the big chunks out with one pull that is all a bore snake is good for.

Get a patch worm or the otis cleaning system. When using a patch and jag your changing patches every time using a clean one correct. So why would you want to go and run a dirty patch back through your barrel. Getting your hands greasy then cleaning them with more grease doesn't make much sense to me.

12. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

This is a interesting suggestion. I'll be sure to check that out in the morning.

Thanks again for the advice!

13. montveil

montveil New Member

The wisdom of cleaning from the chamber end is so one does not wear out the muzzle rifling with the cleaning rod.
    With most firearms, except single and bolt actions this may not be practical.
    If one used a steel cleaning rod this may be a concern but if using a aluminum, brass, or coated rods I would think that these softer materials could not wear out the steel barrel.
    22LR's really do not require heavy cleaning.
    I only use a bore snake for general cleaning and only break out the rod if the bore is really dirty AND accuracy falls off. It has been stated many times that too diligent cleaning is determintal to accuracy.

14. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

I fold my patches corner to corner rather than across the middle...then insert in rod

15. avordman

avordman New Member

Boresnake time...

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

A bore snake is good to take into the field for the Oh Sh!t that can happen. NG for regular cleaning.

The Otis is awesome. I've been using it for 10 years.

17. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

+1 on the above posts.

I use 20 caliber jags and .17 caliber rods. It will take the regular 22 patches and is plenty tight enough to clean properly. Try it, it works.

I really like the otis system also, they are fantastic and safe for your barrel and barrel crown if used right.

John K

18. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

depending on the type of material the jag is made out of, you could probably use your dremel tool to "thin" it down a bit, OR you could just buy a patch loop and use it.

19. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Heck, boresnake solves the issue...I just toss 'em in the wash in a delicates bag...
    I keep several on hand....use 'em one after the other.
    I have yet to see the bore they can't clean to a nice shine :)

Only thing I use a cleaning rod for is to push a stuck bullet out...
    when I stopped using Remington Golden Bullets, I ain't had to do that in awhile.

20. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've heard this too. I think it comes from the military as that's where I was first turned on to the idea. If you take care to watch the crown I don't think it makes any difference which end you clean from.

If you should never clean from the muzzle in, how do I clean my revolvers?