Damaged Primer Disposal

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by sdiver35, Feb 19, 2013.

1. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I've damaged probably 20-30 primers during loading sessions over the past few months and was wondering what others do with theirs? They somehow flip and get sideways in the seating tool and have to be pressed back out of the casing.

They are live so I don't want to just throw them in the trash due to the amount.

Oh, and these are small and large pistol primers - no magnums or rifle.

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Put them in oil. It will render them harmless. Spraying them with case lube will do the same. Used motor oil would be cheaper.

3. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Soak them..

I have a small pill bottle 1/3 full of diesel fuel on my bench with a few of them soaking now.

A few days in diesel/oil will take the fire out of them...Bill;)

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I just toss em out in the backyard. The elements will render em down to nothing and no one is going to hunt for em and they arent going to set a garbage truck on fire.

5. Sport45

Sport45 New Member

Oil and water work marginally at best in deactivating primers. After they dry out they could be just as active as before.

I just toss them in the trash can or put them with the spent primers and nonreloadable brass for recycling.

6. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Thanks guys! I have a bottle of case lube and will put a drop in each then toss them after a couple of days.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

WD-40 is a penetrating solvent and destroys them forever.

8. Sport45

Sport45 New Member

No, it doesn't.

24hr Campfire Test

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  9. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Ahh, so what do I do then? Case lube?

10. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

Buy a hammer, enjoy.

11. JWagner

JWagner New Member

This thread prompted me to do bit of looking online for more information. I found a couple sites that were interesting. One place said that sodium carbonate (aka washing soda) works well and another said nitric acid works. They seemed somewhat credible. Here is a site that gives a lot of info on the common wisdom of deactivating primers. He reached the conclusion that most of the popular methods do not work for some primers. Even after soaking for days.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/killprimers.shtml

12. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

I like the hammer idea....they are't that loud..wear safety glasses.

13. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I'll try a couple with a hammer, the rest will go in the woods. My neighbor is an LEO, and I don't want the attention.

14. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I was just joking but I have done it before when I was younger. Definitely wear safety glasses if you do, but I wouldn't recommend it. Those little bits of primer flying at you sting a bit.

15. Sport45

Sport45 New Member

Just throw them in the trash and quit worrying.

Don't hit them with a hammer unless you are wearing a leather apron or something to shield you from the high velocity brass shards that will be spitting out.

I suppose if someone wanted to, they could seal primers up in an old paint can and toss it in a camp fire to cook them off. A small nail hole poked in it first would relieve any pressure and keep the lid from blowing off when it was heated.