Daily Devotional

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by AmPaTerry, Sep 25, 2015.

1. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

That sure is a fact, Dave - A Christian witnessing to them is looked at the same way as a politician making promises.

For today:

Far more people believe in Angels than believe in demons. The best work the Devil has ever done is to convince people that he does not exist.
    A benevolent God, however, is much easier to believe in. People seek them out. It is characteristic of our time that people want to have God but do not want to have the Devil. People even invent gods for themselves, with what has been called their 'do-it-yourself God Kits'. But these creations are gods who do not demand much of them, and they certainly are not gods who punish! They are, however, allowed to reward. On the contrary, their gods absolve them from conflict and doubt, massage them, pat them on the head. They whisper sweet words into their ears in the dark of night, and contribute to their bravado in the bright daylight. But above all they are gods who will not trouble them with the fact of evil. The problems of evil, suffering, and death are not confronted, but evaded and dismissed.

The Word of God tells us that Satan caused our original fall:
    Genesis 3:14-15 (KJV);
    "And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."

And it tells us that he continued to inhabit the earth:
    Job 1:6-7 (KJV);
    "Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."

And finally, that he is a master of disguise:
    2 Corinthians 11:14 (KJV);
    "And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light."

RedRiverII likes this.
  2. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thank you Lord for this day.

AZdave and AmPaTerry like this.

3. AmPaTerry

The fact that our government used to be exclusively made up of men of strong faith is being re-written today. A while ago, there was a humanist that was ridiculing Pat Robertson in his bid for president. He asked "Do you want a president who believes he can protect the United States from a hurricane by PRAYING about it?" I thought to myself - yes indeed, that’s EXACTLY the president I want. Such faith is NEEDED in the white house and in the halls of congress; it has been too long absent.

In 1863 President Lincoln designated April 30th as a day of national humiliation, fasting, and prayer. Let me read just a portion of his proclamation on that occasion:

"It is the duty of nations, as well as of men, who owe their dependence upon the overruling power of God, to confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon, and to recognize the sublime truth announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by a history that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord. The awful calamity of civil war which now desolates the land may be but a punishment inflicted upon us for our presumptuous sins, to the needful end of our national reformation as a whole people. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us. We have grown in numbers, wealth, and power as no other nation has grown, but we have forgotten God."

The word of God warns us about this in

Deuteronomy 6:10-12 (KJV);
    "And it shall be, when the LORD thy God shall have brought thee into the land which he sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give thee great and goodly cities, which thou buildedst not, And houses full of all good things, which thou filledst not, and wells digged, which thou diggedst not, vineyards and olive trees, which thou plantedst not; when thou shalt have eaten and be full; Then beware lest thou forget the LORD, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage."

primer1, RedRiverII and AZdave like this.
  4. RedRiverII

5. AmPaTerry

Sometimes what we THINK we need is not at all what we REALLY need. For instance: Ricardo Semler tells of a lesson he learned working at Semco:

"We were in yet another meeting, when we came to the purchase of $50,000 worth of file cabinets. Several departments had been waiting months for the cabinets and in desperation had decided to pool their requests.
    "We didn't buy a single new file cabinet that day. Instead, we decided to stop the company for half a day and hold the First Biannual Semco File Inspection and Clean-out. Our instructions were simple: We told everyone to look inside every file folder and purge every nonessential piece of paper. I was one of Semco's biggest file hogs, with four large cabinets and a request for two more. After our cleanup, I trimmed down to a single cabinet, and that was pretty much how it went throughout the company ... The cleanup went so well that when everyone had finished, Semco auctioned off dozens of unneeded file cabinets."

And sometimes, what we think we are pursuing is not what we are really pursuing. For instance, there was a young woman in the library who grabbed and checked out a book whose cover read:

HOW TO
    Attract Men
    Reach Men
    Hold Men
    Win Men

When she got home and started reading it, she found it was a manual on building a men's Bible class.

The Word of God tells us how to discover what we really need, and how to attain it:
    Romans 8:26-27 (KJV);
    "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God."

AZdave, 303tom and RedRiverII like this.
  6. RedRiverII

Thank you for this day Lord.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Amen !..............

AZdave, RedRiverII and AmPaTerry like this.
  8. AmPaTerry

This week on February 4th was Mawlid An-Nabi a holiday in the Muslim world. The name is Arabic for “Birth of the Prophet”, it is the day the Islamics celebrate Muhammad's birthday. Due to the fact that the Arab calendar only has 354 days, this holiday moves 11 days earlier each year, and 12 days earlier in leap years, so it can fall on any day of any month in our calendar. Can you imagine celebrating Christmas in August? Or Easter in the late fall? How about having a picnic to watch the Independence Day fireworks in February?
    But I digress. I started including Muslim holidays in these devotionals, because as Christians we need to know something about other faiths so we can deal with the people we meet who are in them.
    For this holiday, suffice it to say that Muhammad Ibn Abdullah (his full name) was indeed born, but we are not even certain of the year, let alone the month or day; it was either 570 or 571 AD. He was born in Mecca, which is now in Saudi Arabia.

For scripture today, I chose:
    Matthew 7:15-20 (KJV);
    Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

I only ask that you examine the fruit of Islam, and then, based upon that examination, treat it in the way that Jesus instructed us to.

primer1, AZdave and RedRiverII like this.
  9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Amen !.................

AZdave, AmPaTerry and RedRiverII like this.
  10. RedRiverII

11. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

Mark 11:21 And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.

@AmPaTerry I think this is the first time a minister has asked me to curse something. :eek:;)

But yes Islam needs to wither away. It may also have a use by Him from some of the prophesies. He does work in mysterious ways.:rolleyes:

RedRiverII and AmPaTerry like this.
  12. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I was listening to family forum on the radio one day.
    He said "kiss your wife TWICE a day, each kiss 10 seconds long MINIMUM"

Well, I've been doing it and telling her how much I love her.
    OOOOOH LAH LAH is all I can say, and we've been married 37 years +. It's getting better every day!
    Thank you Sweet Jesus!!

13. AmPaTerry

Thank you, guys, for all those comments! They are appreciated.

For today:

I once read the states which administer the death penalty by using lethal injection are having a hard time accomplishing that because the FDA has gotten involved with one of the drugs which they use in the process, and is interfering with it's manufacture and importation. I guess this drug is not safe enough ? ? ?

And there was a thing going around on the internet which 'proves' the Cash for Clunkers program was a huge failure. I guess no one noticed that it is based on the premise that these new cars will be driven 12,000 miles only, and then scrapped. An odd assumption, when the studies show the average car in the US is driven 140,000 miles, or 12 times that amount.

The government got involved in home schooling, and it seems there is pressure to remove religious instruction from that practice.

And the Catholic church was being forced by Obamacare to finance birth control and abortions for their employees.

Remember when the cheap Freon had to be replaced with a new, patented, expensive gas because the old stuff was damaging the Ozone layer? Never mind that the Freon was heavier than air, while the Ozone layer is nine to eighteen miles above the earth - -
    It had nothing to do with the patent expiration on the old gas - -

We can continue to look for wisdom in human knowledge, but the smartest thing we can do is turn for wisdom to the one who designed and created this planet and every thing on it.

Isaiah 44:24-25 (KJV);
    Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself; That frustrateth the tokens of the liars, and maketh diviners mad; that turneth wise men backward, and maketh their knowledge foolish;

If we follow that passage, we will become wiser people.

Of course, a lot of people would then be out of a job - -

AZdave likes this.
  14. RedRiverII

15. AmPaTerry

Have you ever watched someone haggle over the purchase of a used car? In many cases, the buyer wants the BEST car on the lot, and wants to purchase it for the lowest price. He is concerned only with his own interests, and cares nothing for the business he is dealing with.
    On the other side of this bargaining is the lot owner. He wants to unload the worst turkey on his lot because it is the hardest one to sell, and he wants to get the most money possible out of it. He, too, is concerned with only his own interests, and cares nothing for the person he is going to dump this wreck on.
    That is what we deal with every day, to a greater or lesser degree. Many people are completely motivated by their own self interest, and almost everybody is out for number one.
    Now let's look at man's dealings with God.
    Man wants what he wants, not what is best for him. He desires pleasure that destroys his health, and he desires wealth so much that it destroys his charity. He is consumed by self interest.
    On the other side of this bargaining is God. He wants what is best for man. He is unable to give it as often as He desires to, though, because man does not desire it. God is motivated by love to each of us.

The Word of God tells us about the differences between God’s desires for us and our desires for ourselves:
    Proverbs 21:10 (KJV);
    "The soul of the wicked desireth evil: his neighbour findeth no favour in his eyes."

Mark 4:19 (KJV);
    "And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful."

Ephesians 2:3 (KJV);
    "Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others."

AZdave, primer1 and RedRiverII like this.
  16. RedRiverII

Thank you for this day Lord.

17. AmPaTerry

Sir Francis Drake, caught in a dangerous storm in the Thames, was heard to say, "Must I who have escaped the rage of the ocean be drowned in a ditch?!"

In the movie 'Patton', George C. Scott is playing the part of the great general. At the close of the movie, the war has ended and Patton is still in a small European town walking down the street with General Bradley. Suddenly, a heavily loaded ox-cart breaks through the wheel block holding it in place and rockets down the steep street towards them. Bradley saw the cart coming, and jerked Patton out of the way of the cart. As the cart rocketed past the pair, Patton recovered his balance and then started laughing. "Can you imagine?" he laughed - "After everything I have been through, getting killed by an Ox Cart!"

What have you been through, Brother? What perils have you escaped from, Sister? Not everyone has been in a combat situation in the service, and not everyone has taken long ocean voyages, but we have all been exposed to grave dangers. How many times have you been in an airplane, supported from death by only the rushing of air under the wings? How often have you been in a vehicle traveling down the road at 70 mph while folks traveling at 70 mph the other way hurtle past only inches from you? You have brushes with death every day!

What a horror to have lived in such danger; to have escaped the loss of our physical lives every day, and yet loose our eternal life for nothing but the failure to accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior!

The Word of God tells us
    Hosea 6:3 (KJV);
    "Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth."

1 Peter 5:10 (KJV);
    "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."

18. RedRiverII

AmPaTerry and AZdave like this.
  19. AmPaTerry

This devotional is based upon a passage from Smoke On The Mountain by Joy Davidman.

Unfortunately, mankind can’t handle the common sense of God. Side by side with Christianity, and often mistaken for it, there has always existed a dark Eastern religion of despair. Perhaps it first came out of exhausted and overpopulated India, where the Lord Buddha decided long ago that life was a mess, a huge disappointment.

The religion of despair often achieves a glaze and appearance of something noble. This is very impressive to those who are impressed by dramatic gestures. I remember several young men that I worked with at various times who would sit with their legs crossed in the Lotus position, chanting their Mantra as they performed Transcendental Meditation. This is the exact opposite of the true gospel. The Christian gives up his own desires for the love of others; the Eastern ascetic renounces the world because the world is flawed! He works to attain perfection, from which lofty position he can look down on the world with condemnation, because he thinks himself too good for it. Pride pretending to be love; that is nothing but a subterfuge of Satan himself!

The Word of God tells us:
    Matthew 9:14-15 (KJV);
    "Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not? And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast."

Colossians 2:20-23 (MSG);
    So, then, if with Christ you've put all that pretentious and infantile religion behind you, why do you let yourselves be bullied by it? "Don't touch this! Don't taste that! Don't go near this!" Do you think things that are here today and gone tomorrow are worth that kind of attention? Such things sound impressive if said in a deep enough voice. They even give the illusion of being pious and humble and ascetic. But they're just another way of showing off, making yourselves look important.

20. RedRiverII

AmPaTerry and AZdave like this.