Daily Devotional

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by AmPaTerry, Sep 25, 2015.

1. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Thank you, guys!

For today:

I am a big fan of Dave Ramsey, the Christian Financial Councilor. He advocates NO debt for ANYTHING at ANY time. His motivation for this philosophy was the fact that he was a multimillionaire real-estate investor who was heavily leveraged, and a slight problem was multiplied and exaggerated by his debt load to the point that he lost everything he owned, and had to file bankruptcy. He has re-built his fortune again, but this time without any debt, and that is what he advocates.

In this world of easy credit, I believe Dave Ramsey's teaching is badly needed, because MANY people today are living just one paycheck from disaster due to their debt load. Dave teaches to build your nest-egg from your income, compounding it with good mutual fund investments, and NEVER going into debt. While I follow his teachings in investing, and agree that one must be VERY careful with debt, I do not hold as strict a philosophy as Dave does in that area.

But what of this money which he teaches us to accumulate? Is it proper for a Christian to have a substantial amount of money? Shouldn't we be selling all that we have and giving it to the poor?

John Wesley said "The fault does not lie in the money, but in them that use it."

The Word of God tells us:

Ecclesiastes 5:10 (GWT);

"Whoever loves money will never be satisfied with money. Whoever loves wealth will never be satisfied with more income. Even this is pointless."

1 Timothy 6:10 (KJV);

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

It is not the money that is evil, nor the possession of it that is to be avoided; it is in the LOVE of it that we sin. Gluttony is a sin, but eating is not. Lust is a sin, but love is not. Coveting is a sin, but working to better yourself is not. As Christians, we should accumulate enough money so as never to be a burden on our families or on society. That is a virtue, not a sin.

I will talk to you again tomorrow - and may God RICHLY bless you.

Balota and RedRiverII like this.
  2. Bayou

Bayou Member

And today we also pray for the most vulnerable among us:

The infants, the invalids, the elderly and the dying...

AmPaTerry, RedRiverII and Dallas53 like this.

3. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Thank you for this day Lord.

AmPaTerry likes this.
  4. AmPaTerry

The attractiveness of pity and the ugliness of self-pity are unarguable. Yet we live in a society in which self-pity far exceeds pity. The excessively popular genre of literature, the celebrity autobiography, that smothers us in self-pitying subjectivism is the unpleasant evidence that we may be the most self-pitying populace in all of human history. Feeling sorry for yourself has been developed into an art form. The whining and sniveling that wiser generations ridiculed with satire is given best-seller status among us.

Eugene Peterson wrote that in Earth and Altar in Christianity Today, Vol. 30, no. 4.

I have noticed the exact same thing. We have songs sung by rock stars who have earned fortunes and are loved by millions of fans in which they cry around about how hard their life is. We have multimillionaire actors and actresses who tell us how horrid it is to not have a personal life, and how nasty reporters hound them every day. We have politicians who cry around about how their uncaring opponents have publicized the dirty secrets which they want left in the closet or under the bed.

Hey, all you horribly mistreated personalities!

Hey, you who despise the public life you have chosen for yourselves!

I have the solution:

Get a REAL job!!

Quit singing, quit acting, and quit running for office. Go out and WORK for a change, and all of these problems will solve themselves!

The Word of God tells us:

Philippians 2:14-15 (KJV);

"Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;"

John 6:43 (KJV);

"Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves."

Good advice.

primer1, Balota and RedRiverII like this.
  5. RedRiverII

^^^Amen.

Saturation levels of poor me. My wife likes to watch the competition shows on TV, whether it's cooking or dancing challenges. The contestants mostly tell us about how difficult it was to live their life. I listened to a Eddie Van Halen interview recently and found it refreshing. A youngster asked a question during the Q&A. What was it like attending a new school for the first day? EVH smiled and identified not knowing the language and feeling a bit less than as powerful negative forces, but went on to explain that it all made him stronger.

Thank you Lord for this day. Thank you Lord for giving me the power to put one foot in front of the other, with an attitude of persistence. Thank you Lord for the promise of green pastures. Thank you Lord for the struggle, it has made me stronger, wiser, and more willing to help the next guy.

primer1 and winds-of-change like this.
  6. Bayou

Bayou Member

And today, we pray for hose who are bound to their homes, bound to their chairs or bound to their beds...

AmPaTerry likes this.
  7. AmPaTerry

Are you concerned about what people think of you? This can be a real problem for a Christian, because we may find ourselves in the situation of being more concerned with what other people think of us than doing God's will for us. If we are overly worried about peoples opinions of us, we find it difficult to witness, because this might lead some to say we are some kind of fanatic, or we might offend some who hold other beliefs. We may find ourselves not speaking out against sin, for fear of drawing the displeasure of the sinner! We ought to be far more concerned with GOD than with man.

Robert Baker wrote in Country Road 13, as recorded in Christianity Today:

“As I grow older, I care less what people think about me and more what God thinks of me. I expect to be with him much longer than with you.”

The Word of God tells us that if we do the things that are pleasing to God, HE will deal with the problems we may encounter with people:

Proverbs 16:7 (KJV);
    "When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him."

We are told that we should be concerned with God's pleasure, not peoples pleasure, and that God looks at our INTENT in these matters:

1 Thessalonians 2:4 (GWT);
    " Rather, we are always spreading the Good News. God trusts us to do this because we passed his test. We don't try to please people but God, who tests our motives."

And we are given an example of one who received great blessings due to God's pleasure in him:

Hebrews 11:5 (NCV);
    "It was by faith that Enoch was taken to heaven so he would not die. He could not be found, because God had taken him away. Before he was taken, the Scripture says that he was a man who truly pleased God."

Now – who are YOU going to work to please – God or man?

Balota likes this.
  8. RedRiverII

Thank you Lord for this day.

AmPaTerry likes this.
  9. Bayou

Bayou Member

And we give thanks for being brought from the last night into this day, and it being filled with more blessings that we could have ever chosen for ourselves.

We give thanks for being carried every second since the beginning of time....even unto now...

RedRiverII and AmPaTerry like this.
  10. AmPaTerry

Thank you, guys -
    Starting to look like I have an amen corner here, and I LOVE IT!!!

For today:

The most common fear among people is public speaking. I have pointed out before that this fear is more common than even the fear of death, which indicates that if most folks have to be at a funeral, they would rather be in the casket than officiating at the ceremony!

There are many other common fears, however. We are all familiar with claustrophobia (fear of closed places) and acrophobia (fear of high places). Less well known are astraphobia (fear of thunderstorms), mysophobia (fear of dirt), or erythrophobia (fear of blushing). Some may even have pantophobia which is fear of everything.

Jesus tells us not to fear, but have faith in him:

John 14:1(KJV);
    "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me."

And we are told that love removes fear;

1 John 4:18 (KJV);
    "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."

And finally, there is my personal favorite passage to bring to mind whenever we face something that scares us:

Psalm 27:1-6 (KJV);
    "The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock. And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD."

Bayou and RedRiverII like this.
  11. RedRiverII

Thank you for this day Lord.

Bayou likes this.
  12. Bayou

Bayou Member

And today, we stay in communion with the Lord, we entrust and trust all things to Him, and then we are thankful and grateful for all blessings.

We proclaim out thanks louder than a choir of angels can sing!

RedRiverII likes this.
  13. AmPaTerry

Amen!!

For today:

I am amazed at the number of single people who complain about the scarcity of suitable mates! I hear it all the time, and my standard reply is – “Where are you looking?” If you expect to find a godly Christian mate, you do not search for them in dens of sin. If you are hungry for rabbit, you do not go fishing –

I was reminded of this advice I give when I read this quotation of Charles Spurgeon from The Quotable Spurgeon:

“Those who would be in health do not sit still in their houses to breathe such air as may come to them, but they walk abroad and seek out rural and elevated spots that they may inhale the invigorating breezes. Thus those godly souls who would be in a vigorous spiritual state do not merely think on whatever holy doctrines might come into their minds in the ordinary course of thought, but they give time to meditation, they walk abroad in the fields of truth, and endeavor to climb the heights of gospel promises. It is said that Enoch walked with God. Here is not an idle but an active communion. The road to bodily health is said to be a footpath, and the way to spiritual health is to exercise one's self in holy contemplation.”

The Word of God tells us to meditate on several things of God:

Psalm 77:11-12 (KJV);

"I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old. I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings."

And it tells us that such is a delight to us!

Psalm 119:12-16 (KJV);

"Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes. With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches. I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways. I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word."

RedRiverII likes this.
  14. RedRiverII

Healthful and soulful practice, thank you Lord for these gifts of recuperation.

Thank you Lord for this day.

About to take a trip to Virginia today to meet with my sister after a twenty five year lapse in our relationship. I prayed for guidance asking that my sister and her family feel as good about themselves, and a might bit better after my visit.

Bayou and winds-of-change like this.