Daily Devotional

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by AmPaTerry, Sep 25, 2015.

1. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

I do a daily devotional via an e-mail list. It would be easy to post it here in a devotional thread if anyone would like that.
    I originally developed these for a Dial-A-Devotion, and still stick to under a three minute format -
    What do you think?
    Would anyone be interested?
    Here, or the Religious discussions forum?
    Pinned to the top so it is easy to find for those wanting to read it each morning?

What are they like?
    Here was yesterdays:

Many years ago, I worked as a service representative for the Addressograph/Multigraph company. I remember a dear lady who ran an Addressograph machine which I performed regular maintenance on through one of our service contracts. One of the instructions given to the operator of these machines was to put a drop of oil on each of several points every few days of use to keep the machine lubricated. This lady used it as a way of taking out her frustrations. Every time she got upset about anything, she would get her oil-can and lube her machine. The angrier she was, the more oil she would use! When I performed maintenance, the major part of the job was removing all the oil that overflowed and collected dust, making the machine a gooey mess. The gunk was so thick that it actually interfered with proper operation, often causing the machine to fail.
    The Arizona Republic (4/25/95) reported that when Steve Tran of Westminster, California, was angry about the bugs in his apartment, he closed the door on 25 activated bug bombs, figuring he had seen the last of the cockroaches. When the spray reached the pilot light of the stove, it ignited, blasting his screen door across the street, breaking all his windows, and setting his furniture ablaze.
    "I really wanted to kill all of them," he said. "I thought if I used a lot more, it would last longer." According to the label, just two canisters of the fumigant would have solved Tran's roach problem.
    The blast caused over $10,000 damage to his apartment building. And the cockroaches? Tran reported, "By Sunday, I saw them walking around."
    As Proverbs 29:11 says, only "a fool gives full vent to his anger."

Psalm 37:8 (KJV);
    “Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.”

Proverbs 14:17 (KJV);
    “He that is soon angry dealeth foolishly: and a man of wicked devices is hated.”

Ecclesiastes 7:9 (KJV);
    “Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.”

The best course of action when you are angry is – nothing. Don’t do ANYTHING until you have cooled off, lest you cause more damage than good!

RAE Industires likes this.
  2. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Buddy, I could use a little more devotional and you have always shown a good head for the right things to be said. I'm in!!

3. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Thank You... Subscribed to this thread. Will look forward to reading each Morning.....:)

4. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Add me to the list.

5. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

I'm subcribing. Thanks

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

stickied.

7. artbrownsr

Thanks Jon!

8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in. As I'm not a regular church goer, a daily word can only help remind me.

9. AmPaTerry

Wow - thank you for that support, guys -

When I write up a message, either for a Sunday sermon at church or for one of these devotionals, I never, never, EVER, have someone in mind that I am ‘aiming’ it at. Well, ALMOST never. This one is aimed squarely at someone who needs it. They should take care to lock this message in their minds and apply it to their life, for they are GUILTY of this.

Hurling humor like hand grenades is a popular sport. We think it's acceptable to pull the pin on our anger as long as we toss it in a casing of humor. The problem is it's still explosive, and someone ends up hurt.
    How many times have you heard or said, "I was only kidding?" If we have to defend our humor regularly, chances are we're not as funny as we think.
    A good humor rule is, if it hurts someone it isn't funny. Just because people are laughing doesn't mean what we said was appropriate.
    Don't use humor as a hideout from tender, honest relationships. A healthy sense of humor is a precious gift intended to promote good news, good health and goodwill.

Some specific person needs that message today.
    Me.

The Word of God tells us:
    Matthew 5:22 (KJV);
    “But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.”

Matthew 12:36-37 (KJV);
    “But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.”

Now, if that message did not speak to you, I thank you for indulging me today as I preach to me. Even if it DID speak to you, I still probably need it more than you do.

10. AmPaTerry

Thank you!!

11. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

Count me in too! Not a morning reader during the week, mostly at night and in and out on the the weekend. But always need a good word.

12. artbrownsr

Terry, I try to ask at EVERY message. Lord what do you have for ME? Talk to ME God that I might be better.
    I remember a song (you tube has a few selections and this one is a good one from My prospective)
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2x8M1t8bW8[/ame]

13. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thank you ! I am at a point in my life that is winding down to the end ! I am not in fear nor am I regretful for anything I've done in my life , no regrets ! My mother is the reason for my life and the path I've chosen . My mother was a saint and i take after her . Coming from an extremely abusive father , the cycle of abuse stopped with me , thank God !

Thank you for being ! :)

14. AmPaTerry

A congressional resolution which was approved June 23, 1936, designated the last Sunday of September as Gold Star Mothers Day. A Gold Star Mother is any woman who has lost a son or daughter in service to the United States.

During WW I, families hung a “service flag” in their windows. On this banner, they had a blue star for each family member that was in the military. If a family member had been killed in the war, they put a gold star on this banner for them.

Shortly after this war, the Gold Star Mothers Club was formed in the United States to provide support for mothers who had lost a son or daughter in the service.

In 2009, the Marine Parents group began an initiative to encourage Americans to light a “luminary” on this day. The luminary is made by taking a paper sack, opening it, and folding the top down to hold the top open. Then a five point star 2” across is cut in one side of the bag, and a cup of sand is poured into the bottom. These are set outdoors in safe places, and a tea candle is pressed into the sand at the center bottom of the bag The candles are then lit at Sundown today.

I just read a story about a fire crew that was going through a burnt-out section of forest, and found an eagle, petrified in baked ash, still upright at the base of a tree. They nudged her to verify that she was indeed dead, and her lifeless body fell over, revealing several very alive eaglets which she had sacrificed her own life to protect when the fire burned over them. She could have flown to safety, but instead she gave her life to protect her children.

Most parents feel that way; it is ingrained into us to protect our children at all costs. For this reason, it is especially horrible for a parent to loose a child who is, in effect, protecting them instead.

The word of God tells us Children are a blessing from God:

Psalm 127:3-4 (KJV);
    Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

I will talk to you again tomorrow - and may God RICHLY bless you.

15. artbrownsr

Thank you Jesus for MY children and your protective hand upon them!

16. AmPaTerry

Today, the 15th day of the Hebrew month of Tishri, is the first day of Sukkot (Sue Coat'). Called the Feast of Tabernacles in several translations, a more accurate translation is Feast of Booths. Sukkot is based on this passage:
    Leviticus 23:33-34 (Darby);
    “And Jehovah spoke to Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, On the fifteenth day of this seventh month is the feast of booths seven days to Jehovah.”

This is one of the most joyous of Jewish holidays, being both historical and agricultural in significance, yet it falls just five days after one of the most solemn observations, Yom Kippur.
    The Agricultural side of this is the fall harvest, and this period is sometimes called The Festival of In-gathering.
    The historical side of this period is a commemoration of the 40 years that the Jews spent wandering in the wilderness. During this period they had no permanent dwelling places, but instead lived in temporary shelters – or booths.

God directed how they were to celebrate this period:
    Leviticus 23:40-43 (KJV);
    “And ye shall take you on the first day the boughs of goodly trees, branches of palm trees, and the boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook; and ye shall rejoice before the LORD your God seven days. And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations: ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month. Ye shall dwell in booths seven days; all that are Israelites born shall dwell in booths: That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths, when I brought them out of the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.”

So notice, over the next week, that our Jewish friends will have a little temporary shelter built in their yard, and there they will eat all of their meals during this entire period. Weather and health permitting, they will sleep in this shelter as well. The children especially enjoy this festival, looking at it as a combination of building a fort in the yard and camping out.
    Have a most blessed Sukkot, my Jewish brothers and sisters -

17. artbrownsr

Amen and Amen.
    It would not hurt us Christians to remember the tough times we've been through that God has brought us out of!

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

But.....the seventh month is July.
    :confused:

19. artbrownsr

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

so when the Bible says some men lived hundreds of years, could that be based on a different calendar and they didn't live 600 of OUR years?