Daily Devotional (cont.)

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by AmPaTerry, Jun 1, 2019.

1. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Let's give it a go boys. In the early morning hours of ... There were several horrific events that shook the world, and started out with the above line. There were no instant messages as we have today but word spread like wildfire anyway. It is necessary for us to understand the Word will be upon us whenever and wherever we are. This page may or may not be your lifesaver but it is mine. I hope to carry on this page and will state my experience briefly. I was the RPO in bootcamp. That's a designation given to one recruit among many, no training was required other than to lead the men to Church and console the fearful. In 1970 there were many fearful days just as we find today. This is my first post as the writer for Daily Devotional ( cont,.). I believe a better person may be available, and if so I will gracefully back out. Much like a group of fisherman when done fishing for the day the most skilled person gets the knife. No sense having gibbered up fish when clean filets could be had. If someone else wants to post please let me know. For today we'll leave it at, " When two or more meet in my name I will be there." Lord please bless Chaplin Terry and his concerns as well as he has fed our beliefs. I ask for your guidance going from here on with this endeavor to supply a simple post each day.

primer1 and AmPaTerry like this.
  2. RedRiverII

Thank you Lord for this day.

AmPaTerry likes this.

3. RedRiverII

Good Morning, new duties call for a new mindset, so to speak. Please consider our Brother Terry in your prayers. He is less than healthy and needs our thoughts and kindnesses. I bet he wouldn't like his passion for the Daily Devotions to end. Neither would I as I find coming here each morning to be beneficial to me and those I greet each day.

"5. Romans 3:23

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Our first four verses (Genesis 1:1; John 1:1, 14, and 3:16) give us the bare bones of biblical truth. The next five provide a comprehensive outline for God’s plan of salvation.

The Bible is a big book—sixty-six divisions and more than thirty-one thousand verses—so the Lord placed a summary of it in the Scriptures, a digest, an abridgement, a prospectus. It’s called the book of Romans, and it’s a synopsis of the message of the entire Bible. Within Romans is a series of verses that give us an outline of God’s entire plan of salvation for the human race. These verses are often called the Roman Road—Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; and 10:9–10, and 13."

This verse of scripture should be easy to memorize. Let this roll around in your thoughts today and see if it has any impact on your daily activities. Please memorize this one, it's short and to the point. I copied the above section and will give credit to whomever it is when I figure out how to do it.

Once more and finally, I have been allowed to post this DD and we all have been invited to take over. If you feel more qualified than I please feel free to contribute. Please feel free to ask the Lord to help me out as I almost ran away from this duty. God Bless you and don't forget to PM Brother Terry and add him to your thoughts today.

4. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Thank you, Lord, for this day -

Sniper03 and RedRiverII like this.
  5. RedRiverII

It is funny the way we are subjected to situations and our reactions to them. My wife and I were taking a walk on a sunny Brooklyn street one day. We noticed the crowd ahead of us opening up and letting a single person pass by. That is when we noticed a fellow naked except for his boxer shorts. Barefooted and walking briskly he was about to pass us and I asked if he needed help. He turned and with a snarling reply he said " ...DO YOU THINK YOU ARE BETTER THAN ME." Quickly and without thinking I replied, " Sir, if you recall I asked your permission to assist you." That did calm him down a bit. My reaction was to move forward and help, most others separated from him. I am not better than him or you. Read the following:

Matthew Chapter 6
    Verse 1. Alms. Liberality to the poor and needy. Anything given to them to supply their wants. Our Saviour, here, does not positively command his disciples to aid the poor, but supposes that they would do it of course, and gives them direction how to do it. It is the nature of religion to help those who are really poor and needy; and a real Christian does not wait to be commanded to do it, but only asks the opportunity. See Galatians 2:10, James 1:27, Luke 19:8. [Albert Barnes]

Dear Friends I will get better at this posting stuff, please bear with me.

primer1, Rifling82 and AmPaTerry like this.
  6. RedRiverII

JOSHUA 1:9
    “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

MATTHEW 6:34
    “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Perhaps it is too early to panic but it's not too early to keep the faith. We are our own Leaders and Followers guided by our Lord.

7. AmPaTerry

Amen, Red!
    A most timely thought provoker right now in light of the pandemic that is upon us -

8. RedRiverII

We are sometimes shocked to find the market is falling, or soaring on a given day. Perhaps there are some major political happenings of concern. Maybe a new illness has struck. It seems all three are upon us now and we seek some comfort. Offered here is Psalm for today, and suggested for everyday.

Psalm: 18 1-2

18 I will love thee, O Lord, my strength.

The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

towboater, primer1 and AmPaTerry like this.
  9. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

Psalms 90 and 91 come to mind.

towboater, AmPaTerry and RedRiverII like this.
  10. RedRiverII

1 Timothy 5:8 - But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

2 Thessalonians 3:10 - For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Working about the home counts as well, for all us self guaranteed folk. Thanks to all who go out each day and keep this country alive and well in whatever capacity. Staying home today and the Honey Do list is alive and well.

11. RedRiverII

A father notices his young son is acting a bit too brave in his swimming ability at the lake. He's diving from the dock to the rowboat and back again, just like the big boys. " Son you don't know how to swim yet " says the dad. " Yes I do, yes I do." Well the father lets this activity go on for a short while and then decides to teach his son a lesson. The father moves the boat further out once his son dives from the dock. The kid dives, breaks water, and finds there is no boat anywhere near him when he surfaces. He panics, begins thrashing about while swallowing water and starts to sink. Once the father gets him back in the boat, the child accuses his dad of " you almost drownded me!". " No son, you don't know how to swim yet. "

A hard lesson for the son, a difficult lesson for the father to see his son suffer.

PETER 5:7
    7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

James 1:2-4
    My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

All of us today and yesteryear have sought to understand our troubles. Today we have Covid19 which has cast our newest challenge. The turmoil we see, while new has not been the first threat the Earth has seen. Please pray for those suffering, and those that have perished.

12. RedRiverII

How many times have we heard a song or theme that caught our attention, and we thought the writer genius? Originally I thought this verse was a song from the sixties only to find it written in the Bible. Genius. It's a long post, but worthwhile.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-22 KJV

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace. What profit hath he that worketh in that wherein he laboureth? I have seen the travail, which God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised in it. He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end. I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life. And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God. I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him. That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past. And moreover I saw under the sun the place of judgment, that wickedness was there; and the place of righteousness, that iniquity was there. I said in mine heart, God shall judge the righteous and the wicked: for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work. I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts. For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity. All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again. Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth? Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works; for that is his portion: for who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?

13. AmPaTerry

Thank you, Lord, for this day and for these words - -

towboater and winds-of-change like this.
  14. RedRiverII

Thank you Lord for this day.

I found it difficult to fill AmPaTerry's shoes. I'm not a scholar of the Bible by any means and have limited experience, but will try once again. When doing even the simplest of things we often find confusion and sometimes self doubt. Today I find myself there, confused and doubtful.

Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Deuteronomy 16:17

"Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD your God which He has given you.

15. AmPaTerry

16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I can think of no better fill in. You’ve got this, Red River. The good Lord will lead you.

primer1, RedRiverII and AmPaTerry like this.
  17. RedRiverII

If we only believe... How many times have we doubted ourselves before we began a new venture or task. Thinking we needed some doodad or thigamajig. I can count many times I stopped myself from moving forward because I was too poor to compete with better dressed folks. Or sometimes I stopped because of those old condemnations from my criticizers. " Who do you think you are?" Let's not make small some of our disbeliefs, they can be powerful forces, but they can be overcome. Jesus often offers his help if we only ask. Ask.

Mark 9:24, KJV: "And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief."

18. RedRiverII

Deuteronomy 31:6
    6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

We often do not want to be perceived as being weak, but rather strong. We don't want to be seen as a hypocrite, but rather sincere. I've been reading " The Christian in Complete Armor " by William Gurnall. It is filled with ways to alleviate the above challenges and many others.

Thank you AmPaTerry and Winds of Change. If I want to find the Truth, the rock bottom solid foundation of the truth I go to the Bible. It is only from a solid position that we can defend our position, or discover where we are wrong or a little off base, as the case may be.

primer1, formerCav and towboater like this.
  19. RedRiverII

Mark 2:17 KJV

“When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

This calls to our attention those of us who fall short of the mark. I am one of those folks and need help with my faith. I was advised to keep these posts short and to the point. A good writer can do so. I'll improve but need your continued good will, and more practice on my part.

primer1 and towboater like this.
  20. RedRiverII

" Come 10 degrees south @8 knots to 110 degrees, then 15 knots for two minutes, then run 135 degrees @ 5 knots for twenty minutes to come abeam of surface contact W5 @5000 yds. Standby, execute !" If the OOD, Officer of the Deck follows those instructions the maneuver will bring the desired results. If he waits even 5 minutes longer, or forgets to issue the order, chaos ensues and reorganized tracks must be considered. This is merely a reminder for us to not forget. What is important for us to live good lives ? I'm sure you know what to do today, there are certainly many considerations in lieu of recent events. How is that older couple down the road making out? Do they need anything from the grocery, or medicine they can't get by themselves?

James 1:23-25 (KJV)

23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:

24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

primer1 and towboater like this.