Firearms Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently learned how to take down a SMLE so when I got my old Lee out of the safe and took it home where I live and work I took it apart to see what's going on in there. It's all matching BSA 1918. It was however missing the forend Rest and spring. Of the 4 SMLE's I have taken apart so far 3 out of 4 were missing the rest and spring. The mint condition lithgow was assmebled post war by JJCO so that's probably why that one was missing the part. Is this a common experience or were the prior owners just lax in getting the parts back in? Soldiers that had the rifles issued to them were not allowed to disasseble the rifles only armorors so I'd think this was not their mistake.

And how much would it effect accuracy? I love my old SMLE but whenever I fired it I could not hit the bulleye (it would not group at all) and I wonder now if that was the issue. The rifling is very good so it's not like the bore is worn out.

·
Retired
13,965 Posts
take a look at this schematic: Parts List Schematic | Numrich

If you get the replacement parts, it may improve some accuracy by keeping pressure on the barrel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts