Déjà Vu, All Over Again: "More Guns, Less Crime"

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by canebrake, Sep 17, 2010.

1. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Déjà Vu, All Over Again: "More Guns, Less Crime"

Paul Helmke and Dennis Henigan -- spokesmen for the beleaguered Brady Campaign these days -- are old enough to know what a phonograph record is, so for their benefit we'll put it this way: At the risk of sounding like a "broken record," gun ownership has risen to an all-time high, and violent crime has fallen to a 35-year low. Coinciding with a surge in gun purchases that began shortly before the 2008 elections, violent crime decreased six percent between 2008 and 2009, according to the FBI. This included an eight percent decrease in murder and a nine percent decrease in robbery.

Since 1991, when total violent crime peaked, it has decreased 43 percent to a 35-year low. The murder rate, less than half what it was in 1980, is now at a 45-year low. Throughout, the number of guns that Americans own has risen by about four million a year, including record numbers of the two types of firearms that the Brady folks would most like to see banned -- handguns and the various firearms they call "assault weapons."

2. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Out of a MORBID curiosity I took a look at the Brady website, the impression I got from reading some of the stuff on there is that they believe that keeping law abiding citizens from having guns will reduce gun violence. I have to assume that certain words are not actually in thier vocabulary, for instance, "LAW ABIDING". I guess they don't realize that CRIMINALS, by definition, DON'T obey laws. I was tempted to send them an e-mail and express my disbelief of thier refusal to accept the obvious, I decided that talking to my shoes would elicit a more intelligent response. I think that NOTHING will change these peoples minds, they will never accept the truth.
    They are a sad, disillusioned bunch.
    I wonder how they would feel about common sense laws that restrict the other rights that are acknowledged by the BoR.

3. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Numbers speak louder than words!
    Think I will go and buy my grandson that Henry .22 I looked at today. He’s only 2 but that will give me and his dad ample time to test it and become more familiar with the safety features on a .22 lever action, before I give it to him in about 10 more years. Of course I’ll take him out and let him shoot it when turns about 7 or so, and then let him wait in suspense until I think he is responsible enough to have it for his own.
    They cannot calculate these stories into their poll’s however, so I think the figures might err to the left just a bit!
    Not trying to jack your thread, just a grampa’s two cents worth.
    I agree: More guns in the right hands = Less Crime

4. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

You've pretty much hit it on the head. Anyone with ½ a brain can look at the figures and realize that there could be/is a correlation between legal gun ownership increases and decreases in crime. Sometimes it's perception that will reduce crime as noted in Chicago's statistics. After both Supreme Court decisions, the crime rate is lower in Chicago. Even though the residents are still putting up with that controlling asshat, Daley (until he finally retires), I'd say the "perception" by the criminals is that people are now allowed to own guns making their job (of robbing, raping, murdering and burglary) more dangerous.

5. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

WRONG...more guns = MORE CRIME

The brady campaign is RIGHT. When you arm a bunch of punk a$$ 18 year old illegal aliens or home grown gangbangers who sell crack, hang out all day and never intend on getting an education or god forbid, work, you WILL get more gun crime. I dont have any stats but I would venture to say that in Chicago, L.A. or NYC crime is pretty much static. In flyover country the average hoodlum, because of the increase in guns, conceal carry etc., is seriously re-evaluting potential targets which has led to a reduction in crime. The BC is full of $&^$^$% as usual hoping someone will actually believe their garbage. I think the most appropriate and universally accepted equation would be LESS FELONS/ILLEGALS/GANGBANGERS = LESS CRIME. Our gov't wont address that issue.:mad:

6. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Of course not, Plinker. Regardless of how that law was enforced, you know it would be branded as racial profiling. It doesn't matter that statistics show African-Americans and Mexican-Americans make up most of the gangs in inner city areas. They will find a token Japanese or Korean gang here or there to try to justify the point, but numbers don't lie. People who use them do.

7. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

@556plinker

First off, your wrong and making assumptions based on nothing. I had to do an academic research paper for college english use peer review sources. My topic was More Guns, Less Crime. Simply google those 4 words and the name John Lott Jr pops up alot. He is an economist, has written tons on the subject. He proves that more guns lead to less crime.

Little tidbit for yeah, when the DC handgun ban was overturned by the SCOTUS, the murder rate dropped an incredible 40% in the first year.

More Guns, Less Crime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. Angry_bald_guy

He was using sarcasm to make the same point you just did. Reread his post.

9. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Thank you A-B-G for that, I reread the post, and I apoligise 556plinker.

10. Angry_bald_guy

No problem. We're all on the same side here.

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I wonder if anyone has done a study on if the number of guns in one house has any impact. If so I could use this to convince my wife I need more guns. She has put a ban on gun purchases until I buy her a house........she didn't say anything about parts though!

12. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Hey Spitty, why don't you build her a house.... wait for it .... with a 25 yard shooting range in the basement then you both win. :D