CZ's New 455 vs older 452 - .22 rifle

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Gonzilla, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I'm looking for a high quality bolt action rifle for under $600. CZ has retooled and they are now producing the 455 but there are still plenty of the older model 452s available and they do have an enviable reputation.

Is the new 455 a step forward or back ?

2. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

It's hard to imagine improving on the 452 platform without adding costs.

3. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

One of the reason I almost never buy the first year of any new model. The quality of the wood is usually first up on the chopping block in the name of cost savings. Gunsmiths & armorers who completely disassemble the rifle, will often find the rest...of the story.

Of course, I could be 110 percent wrong and perfection (X<$600) has been achieved by synergies CAD-CAM and of course, the requisite "magic wand." LOL

4. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Agree. With today's mills and CNC equipment, tolerances are much tighter than even 10 years ago. But even with the tight tolerances, most of the top name custom builders still put in a lot of hand file work to loosen up the tolerances to get that perfect "functional" fit.

I can wait for a year or two to pass on a new model. I'm buying something to keep for a long time, so getting in with the first wave it not a priority.

5. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I admire your patience. My club prohibits jacketed ammo for its indoor range, so the ability to switch from 17 To 22 lead can keep me warm & dry. Wonder if they could switch barrels w the Mannlicher stock as well ?