Cz75bd

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Tuco, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Tuco

Tuco New Member

At this point, I have shot the PX4, Sig P229 (they didn't have a 226 to rent), and a Walther P99. I decided that I do want a polymer gun. I planned on buying the PX4 and would have that day, but they didn't have one in stock.

To make a long story short, I want to try the CZ75B that everyone talks about, but nobody has one for rent. I can find them to buy, but then I wouldn't get to fire it before buying. R-r-r.

I could buy the PX4 now--I really like it; but I want to fire a CZ75B. Does anybody live in the Atlanta area, own a CZ75B, and want to help a guy out?

:Tuco prays:

Thanks

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That's not a polymer, is it???

I like the CZ75b a lot! Great ergonomics, paintability, and very accurate. My only complaints about them are the gritty double action trigger, tiny sights, and the grip serrations are too shallow.

Sorry I can't help you out.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Oh, FWIW, I would rate the CZ above the PX4 myself.

4. Tuco

Tuco New Member

I'd like to shoot someones CZ75B

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. No, I don't think it is a polymer. I am waffling there. I have decided again that I want a polymer, except that I want to try the CZ75B before I buy the PX4 because of everything I've heard about it.

I appreciate your critical review. I need to know that stuff too.

Do you think the gritty trigger action will ever feel more smooth?
    Can you get another grip for it? Sites?

Thanks

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You can get better grips for it, but you are stuck with the slide serrations without some major custom work. Different sights are available for them without much hassle.
    Have you looked at the CZ SP01 Tactical or Phantom? The tactical is like a cz75b with a rail and the phantom is the same thing but only polymer. Budsgunshop has some good deals on them now.

What will the duty of the gun be? Range , carry , home defense? All three?

6. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Gojubrian,

I have just been checking out the SP01 Tactical and Phantom. I read that the phantom does not accept the Kadet kit, which is too bad. I loved the idea of the polymer version. I wanted to give the 75B a chance anyway, so the tactical would be sweet.

I'll be using this for HD and the range. If I get a gun for CC, It'll be down the road, and I'll probably get a small pocket gun.

What's wrong with the slide serrations?
    Do you find the slide difficult to push back? There isn't much there.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I found the slide serrations too shallow and prone to slip when "racking" the slide.
    With the quality and overall feel of the CZ I can get over the shortfall of the serrations. :)
    Btw, I think you could get a good quality browning .22 for the price of the kadet kit.

8. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Good to know on both counts.

Thanks.

9. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Probable decision after handling the CZ75B

Just to let you know, I found a range here in Atlanta, Sandy Springs Gun Club and Range, with a couple CZ75B's for sale and at least one to rent. One was a commemorative to the old republic. It had a red star on it, and an engraved hammer and sickle. I would have bought the regular version.

In any case, I spent a while handling it alongside the PX4. I just felt more comfortable with the PX4. I do believe it is the one I will get.

I will let everyone know, but I want to thank the site for all of the help through different threads that you have given.

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Goju, I have not experienced the "gritty trigger" on my CZ75B? I did notice that in SA mode the hammer does come "slightly" to the rear before the sear releases it but mine is quite smooth. I'm wondering if the fact that mine is the hi polished SS model makes and difference in the polishing of internal components?

TACK

Attached Files:

11. tekarra

tekarra New Member

Tuco,
    Did you get the opportunity to shoot the 75? The hearder in your OP stated 75 BD. That is the decocker model of the 75 B, which is DA/SA.

12. Tuco

Tuco New Member

tekarra,

I didn't shoot the CZ's. I sat there and held the 75B for some time. It was not the BD, but it didn't really matter. I didn't like how it felt in my hand. I liked the action on a dry-fire, but it just didn't feel as good as the PX4. The polymer version either.

I didn't bother to shoot it. I would have liked to, but I didn't want to spend the money. I think if I were going to get a metal gun, I would get the Sig P226...though that would cost a bit more.

Does that make sense, or do you think I slept something?

13. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Tackleberry1,

You CZ looks really nice. I usually don't go for the steel color (?) on guns, I like them black; but for some reason I like the looks of the metal on the CZ75. That probably doesn't make sense, but it's true.

By the way, the trigger didn't seem gritty to me, and the serrations in the grip bit into my hand quite enough. The sights were kind of small.

I didn't like the slide (I knew it would be an issue), and the grip didn't conform to my hand nicely. I'm glad you like yours though. It is very pretty, and I hear it is accurate and reliable.

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Tuco, see if you can get your hands on a Hi Power to try before you make your final decision.

15. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Will do. The PX4 is out of stock at my local gun store and at Bud's Gun Shop. I'll see if I can get a Hi Power in my hands. I've heard about them a lot, so I'll go look them up.

Thanks!

16. Tuco

Tuco New Member

CA357,

I'll see if the local gun shop has one, but I am not going to want to spend $800 on a Hi Power. I am interested in it though. It is really interesting to know a little about the guns everyone talks about. In the last 8 days I've handled what to me seems like a lot. It feels really good.

17. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I understand all about budgets. The Hi Power is a John Moses Browning design and it's called the "King of the Nines" for a reason. Check one out when you can and if it feels right, put it on your wish list.

... along with a 1911 of course. ;)

18. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Convincing point! Instead of putting it on my wish list, I may put it on lay-away instead! :)

I liked the 1911 very much. Why do they call the Hi Power "King of the Nines"?

19. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

It's sort of the orginal "wonder nine", ushering in the double column magazine fit to 1911 styling.

BHPs are really nice weapons. I prefer the CZ 75 myself (I have both). There are subtle differences between the two, but they're essentially in the same class. Brownings look a little prettier, CZs are bit heavier and seemingly more rugged.

Both are top shelf when it comes to balance, reliability, and accuracy. Browning is SA, CZ is DA/SA. If you're in the habit of manually pulling back the hammer before the first shot (or carrying condition one), then the action is basically the same.

In my mind, they're on pretty equal footing. The CZ's typically cost $200-300 less, which sways my wallet a bit. When the time comes to buy something a little "heavier", you really can't go wrong with a BHP, CZ 75, or Sig P22#...just pick which ever you like best. And as I mentioned in another thread, the $350 Hi-Power clones (FEG, FM Argentine, Arcus, etc) are worth a look too.

20. Tuco

Tuco New Member

I see. I did some research right after I got your post on the Hi Power. I first landed on a clone. I could go for a clone, but I'm a purest. That doesn't mean I want a black powder gun of course.

I don't want to walk around cocked and locked. Do I understand correctly that I could just pull back the hammer when the time comes, if I'm willing to do that? Then, SA means I have to keep pulling back the hammer? That second part would be a problem for me.

I really liked the 1911. I really liked the Sig. I guess I'll try one more and decide on my second hand gun for later. Patience is a virtue, but being rich would be fun.