CZ Cottontail 410 trigger job

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by PumaHosa, Nov 4, 2011.

1. PumaHosa

PumaHosa New Member

I just bought a nice little single shot 410 gage CZ. Turns out the trigger is ridiculously heavy.. like 15 to 20 lbs. Hoping someone knew about these guns and could advise. It's an exposed hammer break action single shot where you pull back on the trigger guard to open the action. There are three punch pins in the receiver but it's not clear how the receiver comes apart or what I'll find when open. CZ doesn't have a manual on their site (the gun was discontinued last year). I doubt it's very difficult but wanted advise from someone in the know before I started.

Thanks and happy shooting.

ps. just posted this in shotgun forum but thought better and posted here.

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Just a word of warning - sometimes those simple break opens can be interesting to put back together after you take them apart. Even though they have very few parts.

3. PumaHosa

PumaHosa New Member

Yes, the gun was on the bench and I was about to drive out the pins... the idea of springs flying everywhere stopped me. But there's got to be a procedure.. and that's what I'm looking for help with. Thanks for the warning.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Have you contacted CZ-USA? See if they have a user manual in stock (which usually has a parts list and schematic).

5. PumaHosa

PumaHosa New Member

Spoke to the guys in KC who passed me on to their custom shop guy working out of Chicago. Turns out these 'cottontails' are made in Turkey. CZ sold them for two years 09 and 10 then quit. Their shop doesn't build them and has never seen the insides of one. No parts, no warranty no nada. The custom shop guy in Chicago says, nice on the outside, not so nice on the inside. He wants a 100 to do just the trigger and warned about the lack of 'finish' on the inside and resulting 'issues' unless you've done them before. We'll see about this one.