CZ 452/455 and which model

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Nilet699, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Nilet699

Nilet699 New Member

As an Englishman thats moved to greener pastures across the pond, i now have the benefit of owning firearms! The problem i have though is i come from a culture where there is none and therefore knowledge is limited to say the least!

So after about a billion hours reading etc, decided upon what i want....i just cant get away from CZ rifles. I'd almost decided upon the 455, but then started researching them and found quite a few 452 lovers out there who seemed disappointed with them compared to the 452.

So, what I'm looking for is a bolt action rifle thats good at around 100 yards mainly, maybe out to 150, that i can learn on and hone my skills. It will be for range shooting early on, but would like to move onto hunting rabbits etc later with it. To this end which model of either the 452/5 would be best suited? And also, is there any particular model that would be best suited to using both with and without a scope. I'm intent on learning properly with iron sights first and then moving onto a nice scope but I will always be drawn back to a good set of iron sights and the feel of shooting like that.

Many thanks in advance!

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

im a huge fan of the savage rimfire mkII series. mags are cheap easy to get just about everywhere and the gun is accurate and just plain works with a fantastic trigger.

this is the type i have http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR

it functions with 22 long rifle, 22 long, 22 short, 22 cb with no issues. i like cz arms but the savage is a great rifle at half the price.

there are a literal metric ton of bolt action 22lr finding accessories and spare parts for a CZ here can be problematic especially when magazines are involved.

3. Nilet699

Nilet699 New Member

That is quite the attractive rifle, however, one question springs to mind......
    Would that enable me to easily switch between scope and iron sights? I really do want a good rifle where this would be possible.
    Price isn't the issue, just getting what I want, as I see this .22 as an investment in something I'll shoot forever. Why I'm willing to invest more early on to get a really good rifle.

Parts are something I hadn't considered.... the CZ's aftermarket isn't great then?

4. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

The CZ is a great gun, I've shot the 455 and it's right on the mark. When it came down to put my money on the counter, however, I went with a Henry lever action with an octagonal barrel. Less expensive, shoots 22 short, long and long rifle. good luck

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

ahh you didnt mention the iron sight thing heh.

your not going to easily switch one to the other with the Cz either. the scope rail will block the iron sights regardless of the scope's location

i honestly cant think of a bolt gun that will let you quick detach a scope and still use irons.

here is what i do with my 45-70. i know its not a 22 and a lever gun kinda ignore the acog i just slapped it ont he for photo taking but it illustrates an optic.

[​IMG]

looking through the sights after qd'ing the optic

[​IMG]

reason im posting this is there might be a similar system for 22 lever guns or bolt guns i may not be aware of.

the sight system is an XS rail with ghost ring irons.

6. Funky

Funky New Member

What is the problem with getting rim fire ammo most retailers in my area (Sioux Falls,SD) either are out or have restrictions on how many rounds can be purchased. I spoke to a Remington Factory Rep and he said it was a hoarding problem. What is everybody thinking? Is the bogey man coming?

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

oh one other thing.

the only rifle i know of that works REALLY well and offers easy qd optics and can have iron sights easy to swap back and forth is the smith and wesson M&P 15-22

its a semi auto in ar15 style format however. not a terribly pretty gun less you get one in pink tiger stripe like mine!!

[​IMG]

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

most companies are focusing on building centerfire and have limited production runs on 22LR atm. they make a ton more more on centerfire atm and are having issues filling orders. as they catch up they will ramp up the 22lr production.

9. Nilet699

Nilet699 New Member

Yes, the first 2 pictures, although not bolt and caliber, would describe exactly the idea i was looking for. No bolt action though you think like this? Grr! It is something i could live without i suppose, would just have been a really nice touch for what i want personally. I'd really rather keep the bolt action than switch to a lever, and i wont be getting a semi-auto until i invest in a LMT .308 (British thing) I just really want the bolt action, one for the sweet stroke of the action and also im not looking to ping off rounds with this, more take my time and enjoy it. And also hopefully become somewhat proficient!

haha, I've looked at a few M&P 15-22's on my research rounds, nothing quite like that though! Pink wouldnt exactly be my first choice, but heck, im comfortable with myself, i could rock that. haha.

10. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

Check out the Rimfire Central website for tons of info on the CZ rifles. There are a few 452s in the pipeline but you might not find all the variants available. I don't have any first hand experience with the 455, but one advantage of the new rifle is the ability to shoot different caliber by changing the barrel. Academy Sports had a good price on a 455 American with two barrels.

The variant I see for sale most often is the American, which is nice but has no iron sights. I definitely wanted iron sights and passed on the American and bought a 452 FS in .22lr. Other models with irons are the youth stocked Scout, the Trainer, the Lux and the Ultra Lux.

I really enjoy my CZ rifle and It always draws admirers at the range.

11. Nilet699

Nilet699 New Member

Thanks...i'll go check it out now!
    Yes i have noticed and awful lot of americans for sale, and have been put off that model myself by the lack of iron sights too. I am leaning towards the 455 Lux tbh. The look of it draws me in.....

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I kind of relate to your plight. I love my bolt action .22s. An there's really nothing quite like cycling a high quality bolt action. Mine are an old Kimber model 82 and a couple old Winchesters (69 & 69A). In a "money is no object" world, I would hunt down an Anschutz 54 Sporter. I don't own a semi auto .22, and have no immediate plans to.
    Your requirement for Irons adds a layer of complication. Optics are quite reliable and make life easier for aging eyes. My first thought would be a set of see-through scope mountswith a 2-7X or a 3-9x scope.

I will admit to not being up on the latest intricacies on the CZ rimfire lineup. My, admittedly, less than helpful suggestion would be: Get the one that appeals to your eye. Of course if you want Iron sights, your choices are somewhat limited.
    I kind of like the 455 Varmint myself.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  13. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

of all the 22 rifles I have ever shot, my 455 Lux is number 1

I paid about 375. for it And the extra magazines were ordered straight from the CZ USA plant and had no delays. This was about last october last year.

It would be my first 22 rifle if I could do it all over again.

14. Nilet699

Nilet699 New Member

Exactly....its all about cycling that bolt. My eyes aren't too bad though! At the grand old age of 25, well 26 in 6 days, i can still see my own toes!

Ah yes, the Anschutz....... Mrs said No. Not allowed it for a first rifle. Not entirely sure why as she knows my shopping list includes $1k AR, $3k LMT .308 etc etc etc. But she said i ''have to be sensible'' with the first one. She's pregnant. I dont argue!!! I'm just glad shes letting me have them! haha.

ANYWAY..... so with these see through scope mounts.....I would be able to leave them on and use the iron sights through them perhaps? Would i have to re sight my scope every time etc? Sorry.... complete dummy on this!

Well, on them lines, the LUX was the one that really catches me, and tbh, i dont really know the advantages of the heavier barrel etc of the varmint.....?

15. Nilet699

Nilet699 New Member

Thanks Anna, good to have a thumbs up for the 455! I'm half set on it, but i don't want something that i might regret. I dont think i will, but rather try and be sure!

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

17. jrfusatf

jrfusatf New Member

Hey guys good topic, looking for a bolt action .22 but I want to mount a scope, looking to shoot 100 to 200 yards. This will be my first bolt action, I have the MP15-22 with over 4600 rounds great gun, but looking to slow it down at the range. Try to keep cost around $400 with the scope...thanks

Attached Files:

18. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Another nice feature of the 455 is you can interchange barrels (make sure which model will go with which barrel) to make it a 17HMR, or 22WMR for about 135 dollars more and you now have '2' rifles. :D

19. Nilet699

Nilet699 New Member

Your telling me! I was 18, bright eyed and bushy tailed yesterday! Now i have moved half way across the world, im getting married, having a little one, and buying guns! Im very aware of how its flying by me almost!

Spot on probably is asking too much your right........ way this is going, CZ will be getting a double sale out of me :)

"good enough" would be perfect! Nothing less!

So, the heavier barrel is ''theoretically'' more accurate......you sound unsure/like you disagree???

20. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

The heavier barrel takes longer to heat up, but then also takes longer to cool down. With a 22LR, I wouldn't worry to much about that. But a thicker heavier barrel is more stable than a thinner barrel, yes, do to the shell speeding down the barrel and causing harmonics =(vibrations).

Also a heavier gun will not 'buck' in the wind, or move as easily with you as your heart beats and your lungs exhale/inhale. It is one reason why olympic shooters wear 80 pound 'suits'. But if you plan on hiking with it, a heavier gun can have its drawbacks too.