cysts?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by unclebear, Dec 28, 2013.

1. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Ok so a year and a half ago i wad out hiking bear foot with my mosin slipped and my tail bone landed on the stock of my rifle i thought i broke my tail bone but it turned out i had a cyst and now i have another one after doing some research no one is really sure what causes it weather trama or in grown hairs. I also found out its pretty common and in ww2 it was called jeep disease because they thought it was from riding in jeeps in rough country also i found out that people live with reoccuring cyst for years and mostly men.

I guess what im asking is does anyone else have these cyst pop up? They suck plain and simple

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My oldest son had one bout of this pylonidal cyst. He had his cut open and drained. Then it was packed with gauze for a couple weeks while it healed from the inside out. The surgeon said if it occurred again, he might want to consider having the whole cyst sac surgically removed and it would not recur. My son's cyst never came back. But since this is not the first time for you, I would consider having it surgically removed and be done with it forever. It's a relatively easy procedure and it is certainly easier to live with recouping from the surgical procedure than living with the constant pain of this cyst.

Please, consult a doctor for some relief.

3. oft83

oft83 New Member

I have one, has does my father and younger brother. My father had his surgically removed about 15 years ago. He went through recovery which looked to be a painful experience and 9 months after the surgery it returned. I choose to live with the inconvenience of mine, but you may very well have better luck with the surgery. I will caution to keep a very close watch on it, they can and will become gangrenous under the right circumstances.

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Im sorry to say that i had the surgery with the first one. First they tried packing it but then it didnt go so well so they cut it out. This one showed up about and inch or so from the scar where they cut the other one out.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Witch hazel will make the skin over the septic part of the cyst peel away. It should be gone in a few days. When you notice the skin peeling off the cyst soak it with a hot compress or take a long bath.

6. BK3220

BK3220 Member Lifetime Supporter

Had a cyst removed from my neck after it swelled and burst a couple of times. Scar itches now and then, otherwise no problems.

7. rurak

rurak New Member

I had one removed from my upper back. Done as an outpatient with local anesthetic. I was back at work the same day. Not a big deal at all.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you've never had it addressed, I would recommend letting a doctor evaluate it the next time it is actively draining. As these recur the walls if the cyst can track inward and expand each time they occur. If this happens enough they can actually cover a lot of territory under the surface of the skin. Some track inward and have on some occasions made a outlet through the intestinal wall. These are known as a communicating cyst. Others can develop tunneling tract that run under the surface if the skin for several inches to the sides or above the original outlet.

The earlier you can get one resolved the better. The majority of the cysts I've seen treated with simple incision and drainage, followed by antibiotics and daily packing and dressing changes, seem to resolve. I've seen more cysts have recurring problems when they have become severe enough that they try to excise the entire cyst and then stitching it closed. Often one of the smaller tracts is missed, closed off and becomes a new cyst. If these new cysts are treated early, then they often don't come back. But that is usually because they are opened, drained and packed, and left open and allowed to heal from the floor of the cyst back to the surface of the skin, preventing a new pocket from forming. That is the big key, getting the cyst to heal from the bottom up without leaving any pockets behind.

Not all cysts are created equal. I've dealt with treating cysts on crew members from nickel sized to odd shapes that were bigger than a silver dollar. Early intervention makes things simpler with a better prognosis for preventing recurrence.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Never had one but I'm sure I'd take a razor to it. Wish you luck.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

10. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Had one on my neck, required two surgeries.
    You should def have it looked at, my uncle had one in nearly the same place as mine, turned out to be cancer and killed him in 9 mos.. Please do not ignore these things..

11. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Im going to the docs monday hopefully dont have a vehicle and riding my bike is out of the question. If they want to do surgery again im liable to get rather unfriendly considering im still paying off the first one and cant afford to be down longer then a day max

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Wife had one removed from her back a little over a week ago !...........

13. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I can tell you from my exp that sometimes they can't always get the entire cell wall/sack. If they can't you will have to go back for another time so they can try again. If the entire thing is not removed it will just come back.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a couple of sebaceous cysts that flare up from time to time, on my upper back/neck. I just pop 'em and go on. I also get ganglions cysts on my knuckles. Press hard on a hard surface till they rupture. They get absorbed and don't come back for a year or so

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I had one on my back that was about one inch in diameter and stuck up 3/4 inch above the surface of the skin.

Dermatologist removed the whole thing in the office in about 20 minutes and I went back to work.

See a Dermatologist. They deal with at least a dozen of these per week.

16. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Curious...
    Exactly what is a cyst?

I mean what causes it ?
    What can a person do to avoid them?

Jim

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

its an infection of a duct in the subcutaneous skin kinda like a zit or an infected wound but totally internal, nothing you can do to avoid them either you get them or you dont.

my guess its genetics that make you pre-disposed to getting them.

18. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I had one on left wrist, the doctor's office drained the cyst and it has not been back. More than a year ago.

I seen some of the you tube video of people draining the cyst themselves and later on have to go to emergency because of an infection.

Some look like massive amounts of "Cream Cheese" coming out of the drainage!

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Some doctors believe that stress can cause them. I dunno.:confused:

20. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

My sister had a ruptured cyst once, maybe twenty-five years ago. She had to visit the hospital and it was painful. :(
    I have one of those ganglion cysts (bible bump) on my left hand. It doesn't hurt. I don't fool with it.