Firearms Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey. dumb question to follow. :rolleyes:

i'm very new to revolvers (this is my first). i was cleaning my new s&w j frame, and it was going smooth and easy. until i noticed all this crud around my cylinder. i never really looked before i shot it, so i was wondering if this would be considered clean?

i scrubbed the tar out of it with standard solvent and soft toothbrush, but i couldn't get anymore of this off. is this normal? if not, is there a better way to clean this part of the cylinder?

thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
I use Hoppes #9 and a bore brush. The same one that I run through the barrel. Be gentle. Dont go crazy with it. But you will be able to get most of that off.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, guess i was just babying it a bit....

can't help it....its so purty.....:p

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
I can't tell from the pic, is it blue or stainless? If it's blue, tread lightly or you'll take the bluing off. If it's stainless, scrub the heck out of it.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't tell from the pic, is it blue or stainless? If it's blue, tread lightly or you'll take the bluing off. If it's stainless, scrub the heck out of it.
its stainless, i'll be scrubbing the heck out of it i suppose....:eek:

guess the honeymoon is over? :D

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Hey, sooner or later. ;)

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've had great sucess with a lead removing rag...seems to get the tough spots clean pretty easily...
thanks vincent, i'll check it out for sure.

and thanks to everyone for the helpful input!

·
FAA licensed bugsmasher
7,141 Posts
I've had great sucess with a lead removing rag...seems to get the tough spots clean pretty easily...
Hmmm... I've never tried one of those. I'll have to order one.

·
Banned
18,636 Posts
I made a cardboard wheel, wetted it to soften it, slapped it to a dremel, and went to town.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Hmmm... I've never tried one of those. I'll have to order one.
Do it...it'll bring old, dull stainless back to life and even though the rag LOOKS dirty, it's still very effective.

I keep a dirty one for the initial cleaning and a less used one for final polishing...

It WILL mess up blueing though...

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
its normal. knock the chunks off be careful of over cleaning as it can remove metal opening the cylinder gap prematurely. on my 6 shooters i look at it as a sign of a gun being used for what it was made for.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
vincent...thanks!

this lead removing cloth worked great! knocked it right out! i highly recommend this as well!

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
On the plus side once ya get the stuff gone if ya keep up on it it wont be bad from then on.

·
Administrator
26,459 Posts
Lead remover on stainless= Good.

Lead remover on blue= Blue remover.

No- REALLY. In a minute of so. Vamanos.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I use automotive wheel cleaner on my stainless revolver,all that comes off in seconds.A bronze brush does a pretty good job too.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lead remover on stainless= Good.

Lead remover on blue= Blue remover.

No- REALLY. In a minute of so. Vamanos.
thanks. i'd hate to see someone mess up their gun.

i'll only use it on stainless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts