Cycling ammo through your XDs

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by xd45, Apr 14, 2013.

1. xd45

xd45 New Member

I loaded my clip and tried to hand cycle it through the XDs. It doesn't like doing it that way. Then I read in the manual about locking the slide back then insert the magazine to load the first round, if you are wanting six total in the gun. No biggie, just wondering if it is something with this gun or are all of them that way. You can cycle ammo through either of my 1911's. This gun will jam up if you try it. Maybe because of the short barrel, etc.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks....

2. ares338

ares338 New Member

I have the same situation. I thought it would get easier the more rounds I put through it but I can cycle it by hand about every other attempt. I have 600 rounds through it so I guess I'll continue to auto cycle it. I really like this pistol though.

3. xd45

xd45 New Member

Thanks for letting me know. My only othr thought is, have you tried this with different kinds of ammo?

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Are you talking about hand cycling an entire magazine or just the first round?

Some ammo that is taper crimped (.45, .40) do not take too well to being hand cycled repeatedly. The bullet can go back in the casing creating an over-pressure affect.

5. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

As long as it cycles reliably while shooting I wouldn't sweat it. I have the same issue with mine if I just kind of slide the slide back, but if I really pull it back no issue.

Oh and it's a magazine or mag, not a clip. Lol

6. xd45

xd45 New Member

Really either or. I am learning with this 45. I have three other 45's that are simple to pull the slide back and put one in the barrel. With this little gun, you have to be more aggressive. My 1911 A1, 1911 Loaded Champion and my XD Service model are not like this one. I think this ole girl just needs shot a lot. Thanks all....

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Always load a 1911 from the mag, never drop one in the barrel and let slide go forward forcing extractor over the casing rim.

This can cause the extractor to lose tension or break, and extraction problems occur.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Don't be too hard on the 1911's; they are basically antiques.

;)

9. xd45

xd45 New Member

Not the Loaded Champion 4 inch SS...I am the antique....LOL.

10. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

My little XDs doesn't like being hand cycled either, I'm guessing it has a lot to do w the higher spring rate on this very short .45, I've noticed if I don't pull the slide back forcefully all the way back the unfired round gets caught up. I'm confident that this isn't a problem to worry over, mine has never failed to put .45 hurtin power down range.

11. xd45

xd45 New Member

Thanks...I will probably just carry the five until I find a good price on the 7 round magazines.

12. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

If ya find a good deal lets us in on it, those guys taking advantage of the shortage selling them for double their worth make me sick. When a group of ppl have a hardship shared by all that's the time to stick together and help each other(guess that feeling of comradeship stems from my service in the Army).

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  14. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

When using the 7 round mag the xds becomes pretty much the same size as a 1911.

15. xd45

xd45 New Member

Thanks Ctshooter....that as you know is not what I want.. Thanks for the heads up.

16. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Not a problem. When I first put the 7 rounder in out of curiosity I placed it on top of my Kimber pro TLE and though I might as well carry the 1911.

17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I haven't seen a single post that actually is dealing with the issue.

My Kahrs all have the same manner of loading a round into the chamber as your XDs:

1) Lock the slide back
    2) Insert the loaded mag
    3) Release the slide stop with your thumb
    4) If desired, remove the mag and top off the mag

I'm not sure why they require this procedure instead of pulling the slide back like so many other pistols to release the slide stop. It isn't inconvenient, though. It is just a unique procedure that I must follow when I am loading those handguns. You'll get used to it.

I'm not sure why there was 1911 hating, bullet set-back, and grip dimension opinions on this thread. What a waste of their typing time...

18. xd45

xd45 New Member

Thanks Chris,
    After having three Springfield 45's and now getting this one, It had me a bit baffled. Of course my post was before ever looking at the manual. If that is what they recommend, I am fine with that. I will probably not worry about the extra round in the chamber. If 5 don't get it done, ya don't have much hope. Especially if you are packing a couple of extra mags with you. You know the saying.....It is hard to teach an ole dog new tricks...LOL..I love the gun for what it will do...And that is conceal itsself till needed. Which I hope never happens...

19. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I highly recommend against ignoring topping off the mag. If you are carrying a Glock 19 and don't feel like you need that 16th round, then by all means...

But one more round (from 5 rounds to 6 rounds) is a 20% increase in firepower. If you knew some day that you'd need that extra round then you wouldn't even go out that day. What I mean is that you'll never know if and when you need it. It is FOLLY to ignore topping off that last round. It takes 30 more seconds.

Your mileage may vary, I suppose.

20. EvolvedKing

EvolvedKing New Member

Not to be disrespectful but with the xds you kinda gotta man up and chamber that first round with some authority. It is a lot easier with the slide locked back initially but sometimes you may need to do it by racking the slide yourself