cva wolf vs. cva buckhorn

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by mosin762, Dec 1, 2013.

1. mosin762

mosin762 New Member

I can't decide between the wolf or the buckhorn. It's my first muzzleloader, I have never shot one before and I want to start out with a cheaper rifle before I fork over $700 for a Thompson center encore.

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I had a Wolf that I really liked. It was pretty accurate for a lower end M.L. I got about 10 yrs. ago in a package deal from Cabelas I think? Came with scope, rings, ball starter, pack if Power Belts etc. Pretty much everything but powder. Only around $300.00 I believe.

I only sold it because I stopped hunting with a M.L. as much as I used to. You can spend more $$$ for one with a better name but they all seem to shoot about the same to me.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

went that route myself. ended up just getting a lyman great plains .54cal and im sorry i even bothered with the cva junk.

i got the version that shoots round ball and is far more accurate than my cva wolf was and waaaaaaay cheaper to shoot

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I would not have either one, get you a real front stuffer !............

Attached Files:

5. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are looking for a reliable, accurate, and inexpensive brush gun, either one will work. if you are looking for easy maintence, go with the Wolf.

My wife picked mine up right before Christmas in 2009 for $200 plus tax at wal mart after the post muzzle loading season roll back. This was for the camo and stainless model, with nothing more than the instructions, scope mounts, and the ramrod. Is it a tack driver, no. Does it have enough accuracy to shoot minute of deer at 150 yards? yes, I know it can shoot better than I can most days.

i have shot the buckhorn, and it is a decent cheap muzzle stuffer, but it is a little more complicated than the Wolf. It's major downfall IMO is the open breech design in Northern or wet climates. The bolt is held back, and the released to strike the primer. This provides entry points for water, snow and ice, which can lead to a lack of bang when you pull the trigger. The wolf, being break action, seals at the breech lessening the odds of a misfire.

Just MHO, if it was a choice as to what i would buy, I would get the Wolf out of the 2 choices above. I own a Wolf and an Optima, and both see almost equall use in the field. I use the Optima, and my Daughter uses the Wolf.

BTW, Nice rifle Tom.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Use some lard on top of the primer or cap to seal from the weather

7. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

I have several side hammers but also a Wolf that I like. real accurate .I always shoot Pyrodex P which is FFFG equiv. .

8. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

I agree...

[​IMG]

Sears And Roebuck, made in Japan...45cal
    [​IMG]
    Thompson Center and Cabelas

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  9. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

Anyone shooting with #11 primers, these small plastic things kids use with capguns. They make great primer holders and are easy to use.

[​IMG]

10. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Never thought of that. I don't mess with anything from CVA, don't like they're designs.. All mine are Thompson Center and the only one that cost coin was the Hawken, and it was a kit my father put together in the 70's that I'm redoing currently. My Thunderhawk I gave to my little brother as his first black powder firearm(like my father gave me his hawken as my first)only cost me $110 used, in VG condition.

[​IMG]

Buy one used, you don't have to have a new muzzleloader, besides, if you buy one used, chances are the PO did everything right and the bore will be seasoned.