Cutting down a giant tree branch.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, May 3, 2014.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

3. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

That is going to hurt!

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I am more than a fair hand with a chainsaw, but 2 summers ago, found I had 4 trees that needed to come down. 3 of the 4 could reach the house if they went the wrong way- and one of those was an 80 foot oak that the stump was right at 60 inches. I decided to take them down the easy way.

Got prices from 3 local tree folks, got a certificate of insurance from the one I liked, shook hands on a price, and went a sat in a lawn chair on the OTHER side of the yard, drank a beer and watched their climber take them down a section at a time.

They cut them into firewood lengths, cleaned up the branches, brought in a yard of topsoil to fill the dents they had made, and piled the wood. I handed them a cold beer and a check.

That fall a neighbor was out of work, but had a log splitter. I paid him to split and stack the 6 cords of wood from those trees.

Darned near got a blister writing checks. Hard work. Cost less than my deductible for a good trip to the ER. :D

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

He should have had the limb secured with a rope. He had plenty of ladder to reach the higher limbs.

If I am working alone it doesn't matter how easy the limb or tree might be to cut down I keep tension on it with a tractor. Why make payments on a tractor to leave it under the barn? This habit of using the tractor has saved my butt a few times.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Seriously... what did they think was going to happen when you got a moron named "q-ball" 15 feet in the air holding a running chainsaw over his head.

I can't think of a single instance where something stupid isn't done by morons who go by idiotic names.

8. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

You always undercut the limb first and you never one hand a chainsaw! Idiotic names are for our safety Jon, so we know who they are!

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

WOW!! I hope that guy was okay. That was quite a hit and a long way to fall.

10. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Darwin is alive and well! The guy with the saw is on borrowed time...

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

At least someone was holding the ladder.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If no one was holding the ladder, who could you drop the chainsaw on ?
    i

13. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Nothing like tree work to weed out stupidity.

I've had to take a lot of trees down over the years and I give each one plenty of thought before I go at it. Sometimes I'll rope them off. Even with plenty of prep work and precaution they can still manage to do unexpected things. It pays to have great respect for their ability to kill you.

14. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Ever here of a Harness?

15. WebleyFosbery38

My best friend Georges Dad heated their house with wood and sold lots of it also. The rule of the house was if you felt the heat, you hlped make it too! I spent hundreds of days and nights at their house so I did my share of helping. We hit the woods 1 out of two days or Split wood, every weekend we would load the truck, deliver and stack wood. His dad would cut, burn or sell anout 120 cord a year. We never had a saw in our hands if we were with his dad! Nobody ever got hurt, we watched thousands of trees drop and by the time we were cutting wood, we knew WTH we were doing.

The dork on the ladder actually is the posterboy for how not to do this. I thought he was gonna do the pendulum thingy with the branch but the other was just as predictable the way he did it.

Its frigging dangerous work for pro's and deadly for novices. Funny thing that it takes an act of Congress and a lot of money to own a Real M16A2 but you can go down to Sears and buy an 18" saw for $199 thats guaranteed to remove human limbs even faster than tree limbs and test gravity in ways that ruin your day and a few others in seconds! Even a 20' ladder is a dangerous instrument to the wrong person. "Sir, what are you gonna do with that ladder"?. "Well Ive got this tree...."

16. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

LOL, Web I always wondered why the states haven't mandated a Mandatory safety class before you buy a chainsaw at lowes. IMO they are 10 times more dangerous then a gun

17. WebleyFosbery38

No kidding! The tools I have in my Barn and Woodshop are so much more dangerous and unpredictable than any firearm Ive ever used. Failure modes on a Firearm- Click no boom, bad ammo or defective firing mech! The bullet always flys out the end (Unless the gun blows up, that doesnt happen very often if you use the correct ammo, the weapon isnt damaged and the barrel isnt blocked).

The list of things that can go bad on my table saw are pretty endless including creating projectiles that move almost as fast as a bullet (been there)! Hell, I almost chopped two fingers off with my snow-blower last year, that hurt really bad but they stayed attached, just snapped some bones!

All of my guns have never ever hurt me or anyone else (they have ended the lives of countless delicious critters and worthless vermin)....

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

chainsaws are one of the most dangerous tools to use if one doesn't practice safety. even working safely they can still hurt or kill you. look at how many loggers are hurt every year. and these are people who use chainsaws daily to cut down trees. trees are very unpredictable in how they will act when cut.

i personally experianced two accidents with cutting down trees that ended up hurting two people badly. one left me with a fractured lower back when i was 14 years old and could have left me paralyzed from the waist down. i got too close to a tree resting on it's limbs and it shifted when we finished cutting it from the stump. i was pinned underneath the tree when it shifted. i was damned lucky it wasnt much worse.

the other happened to my father about three years later. he was doingthe final cut on a stree when it slabbed back on him and knocked the chainsaw into his thigh and cut him pretty bad. it took about 300 stitches to sew his leg up. lucky my brother was at home helping him that day.

i have a personal rule that i never operate a chainsaw unless someone is around just in case of an accident.

19. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

I watched a great one once. Some landscapers were bringing down a very large oak tree. They didn't limb it first, just cut about 1/3 of the way through ONE side, about as far as their chainsaws could cut. Then they put chains around the lowest biggest branches and hooked them up to two 1/2 Chevy's, got a running start... didn't think the back end of the Chevy's would go that high off the ground!!!! Needless to say both trucks looked like the frames were severely bent, California oak 1, Chevy pickups 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

20. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I,ve got a 4ton winch , two 150 ft. Lengths of 1500 lbs. test 3/4 rope , pulleys ,2ton come-along .

I then have an old recurve bow with 30 lbs. test super fishing tied to a120 lbs. test utility cord tied to the heavy duty rope . Shoot the arrow over the branch , pull the mass of rope and cord over that branch .

At a safe distance , my truck , I stress the branch enough to make it go close to where I want it to .

That man may be hurt badly .