Cutting down a bbl

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by ineverFTF, Aug 5, 2012.

1. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I Am just curious about the legality of taking a 22in barrel and cutting it down to 5-7in. I dont plan on doing this just wondering if its legal. Would i need a permit to take the bbl under 18in?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Perfectly legal to cut a barrel. So long as you do not have possession of a firearm that it fits. If you shorten a rifle to less than 16" (26 overall) or a shotgun to less than 18" (26 overall) you are "building" an NFA firearm, and must get approval to build a SBR or SBS, and pay the $200 tax. Same law that regulates full autos, suppressors, and artillery.

If you possess a Mossberg 500, AND a second barrel for a 500 cut below minimum length, that is considered "constructive possession".

Penalty for possession of an unregistered SBS or SBR is 10 yrs in a Federal prison and a $10,000 fine. So yes, you need some paperwork to do that.

3. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Ok thanks for the info i was just curious. I thought it would count as a sbs but wanted to double check.

4. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Ok c3 similar question and i might do this depending on the situation. Is it legal to cut the stock down to a pistol grip?

5. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

You can only cut the barrel down to 16"from muzzle to breech and the total overall length must be 26"
    as long as your rifle stays within these paramiters you can configure it however you wish.

Pistol grips on rifles are not such a good idea because you remove stability to take accurate aim.

if it is an inported MSR like a SKS or AKS then the legal barrel length is 17"

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

7. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member