cutting a barrel

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by akers06, Jul 20, 2012.

1. akers06

akers06 New Member

Is it possible to have a 28in winchester 1300 barrel cut down to a 20in barrel and have it tapped to fit benelli choke tubes and keep the vent rib

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Its possible yes. Can you tell me what you have in mind for the shotgun?

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

I want a short barrel that takes choke tubes mainly for turkey hunting....also another question what if I found a smooth bore slug barrel could I have it tapped to fit choke tubes

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes you could.......slugs would tear up the threads so you would have to shoot em through a cylinder choke though.

5. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea I know that I have a rifled barrel that I use for slugs I just want a short barrel for turkeys...on average about how much would a gunsmith charge to cut a barrel down and tap it

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I charge $45 to cut one down. Another $45 to tap one. That's strictly labor. You live in MO don't you akers?

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

No I'm in southern Ohio man

8. akers06

akers06 New Member

I want benelli tubes put in it because I have a crap ton of them would there be a problem with the bore of the winchester which is .735 I think being a little bigger than the benelli which is .727

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Well then I can't help you beyond telling you what I'd charge. The only smith I knew in southern Ohio is dead now so.......

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya its a slight issue but its still possible to do. Iv never done it that way. I have cut/tapped a benelli for Winchester tubes though.

11. akers06

akers06 New Member

The man thing I would be worried about is the tube not fitting into the threads tight enough and stripping out

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Well that's fixable by putting in a shim tube inside the barrel. Then threading the inside of the shim.

13. akers06

akers06 New Member

Would that still hold as good as tapping the barrel

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If the smith is a good welder yes. That's why I asked if you lived in MO. I am a good welder and a damn good smith.....proven fact on both counts.

15. akers06

akers06 New Member

Well if it wasn't so far away I would have you do it man there is a few smiths around me but I'm not sure how good they are lol

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya on something like that a GOOD smith is all I'd trust. If it wasn't for the shipping costs I'd have you take it to a FFL and mail it to me.

17. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea I have a friend who owns a gun shop and has a license I wonder how much shipping would cost....just in case the smiths around me want an arm and a leg to do it

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Well the shipping you would pay both ways. It really wouldn't be worth it.

19. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea that's what I figured....I have never shipped a gun so I wasn't sure how much it cost

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

It costs quite a bit for sure.