Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to have a 28in winchester 1300 barrel cut down to a 20in barrel and have it tapped to fit benelli choke tubes and keep the vent rib
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
Its possible yes. Can you tell me what you have in mind for the shotgun?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want a short barrel that takes choke tubes mainly for turkey hunting....also another question what if I found a smooth bore slug barrel could I have it tapped to fit choke tubes
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
Yes you could.......slugs would tear up the threads so you would have to shoot em through a cylinder choke though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I know that I have a rifled barrel that I use for slugs I just want a short barrel for turkeys...on average about how much would a gunsmith charge to cut a barrel down and tap it
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
akers06 said:
Yea I know that I have a rifled barrel that I use for slugs I just want a short barrel for turkeys...on average about how much would a gunsmith charge to cut a barrel down and tap it
I charge $45 to cut one down. Another $45 to tap one. That's strictly labor. You live in MO don't you akers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want benelli tubes put in it because I have a crap ton of them would there be a problem with the bore of the winchester which is .735 I think being a little bigger than the benelli which is .727
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
akers06 said:
No I'm in southern Ohio man
Well then I can't help you beyond telling you what I'd charge. The only smith I knew in southern Ohio is dead now so.......
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
akers06 said:
I want benelli tubes put in it because I have a crap ton of them would there be a problem with the bore of the winchester which is .735 I think being a little bigger than the benelli which is .727
Ya its a slight issue but its still possible to do. Iv never done it that way. I have cut/tapped a benelli for Winchester tubes though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The man thing I would be worried about is the tube not fitting into the threads tight enough and stripping out
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
akers06 said:
The man thing I would be worried about is the tube not fitting into the threads tight enough and stripping out
Well that's fixable by putting in a shim tube inside the barrel. Then threading the inside of the shim.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
akers06 said:
Would that still hold as good as tapping the barrel
If the smith is a good welder yes. That's why I asked if you lived in MO. I am a good welder and a damn good smith.....proven fact on both counts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well if it wasn't so far away I would have you do it man there is a few smiths around me but I'm not sure how good they are lol
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
akers06 said:
Well if it wasn't so far away I would have you do it man there is a few smiths around me but I'm not sure how good they are lol
Ya on something like that a GOOD smith is all I'd trust. If it wasn't for the shipping costs I'd have you take it to a FFL and mail it to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea I have a friend who owns a gun shop and has a license I wonder how much shipping would cost....just in case the smiths around me want an arm and a leg to do it
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
akers06 said:
Yea I have a friend who owns a gun shop and has a license I wonder how much shipping would cost....just in case the smiths around me want an arm and a leg to do it
Well the shipping you would pay both ways. It really wouldn't be worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea that's what I figured....I have never shipped a gun so I wasn't sure how much it cost
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
akers06 said:
Yea that's what I figured....I have never shipped a gun so I wasn't sure how much it cost
It costs quite a bit for sure.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top