cut down trap shooting

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by cgersty, Jan 21, 2013.

1. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Any one shot trap with a cut down shotty? Gonna try it this weekend with my 870, 18.5" barrel, cylinder bore lol so you think it will matter what size shot I should use, probably won't hit any with it but it will be fun for sure lol.

ForumRunner_20130121_213935.jpg

2. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I don't. It looks like it'll be hard to hit anything.

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have tried my 795 with a full length barrel on it. I changed it back to the original stock. I wouldn't even try with the 18.5" barrel on it. Let us know how it works though.

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

You can shoot any of the clay target games with an 18" barrel (except where the range prohibits short barrels), or you can defend your home with a 32" barrel. The gun just may not be optimum for the task.

5. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I am gonna try it just for giggles I e,pect to waste for shells than I hit any lol, I got this gun for almost free, so I chopped it down and just want to see what it will do lol I will report back on it.

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

You will have to be very quick on the bird ! Larger shot will help you reach out farther. I w try 6 shot as its what I use for LR pheasants - might give you an edge. Most use 7.5 shot but I only shoot in the summer.

An very good shooter (sporting clays) w alter his shells based on the range of Tgt to give him an edge. May just be PSY Ops cause I have seen people score well w one load n they rarely changed chokes. Yet some people change chokes at every station like golf nutz. :p.

Who is right ? No definitive answer other than whatever breaks the most birds. A reloader told me modern shells reach max velocity in 16" of barrel - so longer barrels just aide w sight radius n weight fwd for smoother swing.

7. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

depends on what you call trap.
    are we talking professional bunker trap on a range where you stand 16yds back from the bunker?
    or...some cheesy little flinger in someones back yard?

backyard...you ought to do ok.
    bunker?.....maybe 6 out of 25.

8. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Just a thrower our in our pasture lol

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

That is not Trap. Trap is a regulated game. (Wikipedia is your friend) That is shooting clay pigeons. Enjoy.

10. bobski

itll be fine. have fun.

11. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Ok I'm goin shootin clay pigins lol, redneck trap.

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You are not shooting Trap. You are just shooting clay targets. Mega difference.:)

13. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Well excuse me for being a redneck, we usually throw cans and even hubcaps and shoot at them, lol I am going to shoot thrown clay birds from a thrower

14. bobski

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  15. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Bobski, I live in edwardsville, about 20 mins from st.louis, I have a full size 870 I used to shoot league with, just think the cut off would be fun, we even shoot clays with 22 sometime now that's fun and a real challenge lol, where ya at exactly I would love to join ya some weekend with some shells, I think it would be a good time!

16. bobski

read up and get you name on the list. youre 4-5 hours from us.
    95 invites are out, 6 have said maybe, i got 1 paid up and 2 from another website.
    grab your stuff and join in!
    heck, you cant beat a free match with trophies, 10 games, and free instruction for 50 bucks. new bees encouraged. got any you can bring?
    target order must go in 1 feb.
    we will be shooting here....
    www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com

17. bobski