Custom rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Redneck420, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Redneck420

Redneck420 New Member

I'm thinking about getting a custom rifle made:
    m70 platform
    Dark red cherry wood stock, checkered and a black forend cap
    Dual sling swivle studs on both ends
    Blued barrel, high luster on barrel and stock
    The most effective civilian legal recoil reduction system available
    28" barrel with 1-14" twist rate
    Fiber optic sights with that sight cover thingie like on a marlin lever gun
    drilled and tapped for a scope
    .500 s&w magnum

What do you think and/or what would you get?

2. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

So you want an expensive custom rifle made in a pistol caliber? Hey, it's your money.

3. Redneck420

Redneck420 New Member

Good point, it probably would be cheaper to get a production rifle from a store and have it converted.

4. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I'm thinking that gonna cost ya an arm and a leg. Personally, I'd just wait until the .500 S&W becomes a popular carbine caliber.

(I'd also see if you could get the 420 cut out of your name. You probably don't want to have that sort of reputation. But thats just my opinion, if you like it there, leave it.)

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Also, why a bolt gun in a big pistol cal with a rimmed case?

If I were going to use a m70 action I'd probably go with a rifle cal.

If I wanted a brush gun, I'd probably go with a lever action, or auto loader.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

let's break this down by sentence.

Winchester M70 platform, well good start.
    dark red cherry wood stock, with checkering and black forend cap, not bad.
    dual sling swivel on both ends? forend makes sense, but the buttstock?
    blued barrel and high luster on stock, nothing wrong with that.
    the most effective "civilian legal" recoil reduction system? what's a civilian legal rcoil reduction system? totally confused here.
    28" barrel with a 1-14 twist? and how did you arrive at this particular figure?
    sight thingie? i suppose a sight hood? fiber optics? and drilled and tapped for a scope. okay, i guess.
    500 S & W in a bolt action rifle? well i guess it's possible, but why?

first thing that stands out is your apparent lack of knowledge of firearms. but don't dispair, as you are in the right place to learn and there are many knowledgeable experts and enthusiasts here and you can learn quite a bit.

better idea would be to tell us what is the proposed usage of the rifle. hunting rifle? target rifle? custom one-off just to be different than what everyone else has? this would help us make suggestions thay would be of more benefit and use to you.

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You missed the obvious (to me) problem with having a hooded fiber-optic sight. Where is the sight going to get the photon fuel from if it is always shaded by the hood?:confused:

8. Redneck420

Redneck420 New Member

Ok, I will not get the sight hood, but can someone give me some kind of price estimation for the rifle, please?

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

$5,000 + for a $500 rifle. There is a gorgeous 30-06 custom for sale at one of the lgs priced at $500. It would cost $5000 to build at today's prices.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Converting a long rifle action and magazine to a pistol caliber would not be practical. You should look at using a Ruger #1 or Browning 85 action.

11. Redneck420

Redneck420 New Member

12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

With a control feed action you better have a darn good smith to make it feed reliably and be a short action or buy a 458 winnny and 460 weatherye and be done with it. You can also buy the Big Horn Armory 500sw- http://www.bighornarmory.com/ Not really a big deal performer in a rifle compaired to many other cartidges. Even a marlin with a hot loaded 45-70 or 450 marlin gets it done more effectivly.

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

H&R makes a single shot in the 500 S&W,if that's the caliber that you really want.
    The 500 S&W is a big caliber,but I've never been impressed with the performance of it.
    It's more a bragging right caliber than anything,IMO.

And a long barrel would hurt the performance even more with that cartridge,the powder would be burnt well before the bullet leaving the barrel and you would be slowing the bullet down instead of gaining fps.

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Redneck420, if you are too stoned to understand what we are saying let me lay it out for you. The rifle you propose would be foolish to build. It would be excessively expensive in the first place (and this is coming from a group of enthusiasts, many of whom would not hesitate to spend big bucks on a fine firearm) and handloading the cartridges would be essential to get the best performance out of the 28-inch barrel, and there is no data out there on such a handload that I am aware of (If I am wrong about this someone please correct me- I don't have any manuals with me at the moment that include the .500 S&W) so you would be essentially building a wildcat load- not something to be taken on by someone with your limited experience. The cartridge you are building it around is not designed for use in a long barrel rifle, it is designed for a revolver handgun and apparently is also suitable for carbines as well (I do not know this from personal experience though). Will the 500 S&W feed properly in an M70 action and can a bolt be made for it that will extract the large rimmed case? I don't know. How would the cartridge perform at longer distances? My guess is not very well at all. The recoil reduction system would probably be a good idea. Or you could build a heavier stock so it absorbs more of the recoil. As stated earlier there is no such distinction in recoil reduction so as to be a "civilian legal" system. If you can design one where the rifle will beat the bullet to the target it would be totally legal (well, setting aside the laws of physics of course).

In short, not one person here so far thinks its a good idea, and nobody would build one.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it borders on rediculous. almost sounds like he is trying to build either a "sniper" rifle of target rifle that shoots a large magnum pistol cartridge. personally i see an epic failure in the making, and i highly doubt any decent gunsmith would even take the build on in the first place.

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Well, then there's that.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Why not look at converting a bolt gun to .50 Beuwolf?? It would be twice the rifle, although still expensive.

18. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Not really.

You have to pick what barrel maker you want then more than likely you are going to have to have the barrel custom cut. You have to then pay a smith to finish all this by hand, fitting, bluing, testing, ect.... I am going to say

Action: $750
    Barrel: $350
    Stock: $400 to $4000
    Bluing: $600
    Labor: $1500
    Total: $3600 On the LOW end.

I am going to guess it is going to cost you at least $5k to build this rifle.

Now if you built this on an AK I am sure the yahoo's at RJF can hook you up and make a joke out of it at the same time.

19. Redneck420

Redneck420 New Member

That is a good idea. What about the .450 bushmaster, would that cycle safely in a bolt gun?

20. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Here's an idea, just build it in 30-06. That way you have a caliber that is very common, you can buy all sorts of reloading supplies for, and you don't have to worry about how it would cycle in a bolt.

You also have a very versatile caliber.