Custom Paint Job

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by DTOM97, Apr 28, 2013.

1. DTOM97

DTOM97 New Member

I'm going to spray paint the synthetic stock on my Savage MK II. I've seen some videos on the spray can method. I need a list of supplies and if anyone has any other method please let me know.

2. longunner

longunner New Member

I painted parts of my M&P 15-22 a while ago and if you want a good piece of advice, go slow and steady. Do a couple quick sprays and let it dry, couple sprays, let it dry. If your patient it will come out waaaay better. Make sure to post pics when it's done!!

3. DTOM97

DTOM97 New Member

Alright I'll be sure to do that. Could you post a pic if yours?

4. longunner

longunner New Member

Here's a pic of the finished product. I thought I had a couple more but I guess I deleted them off my phone

Attached Files:

5. DTOM97

DTOM97 New Member

Looks good. What brand of pain did you use? Also I was thinking about using leaves for stencils. Do you have any suggestions for that?

6. longunner

longunner New Member

I've seen YouTube videos of people using them, never tried anything like that myself so firsthand, no. I used krylon paint and it's better to use a flat paint instead of a gloss, you don't want it to look shiny it kind of defeats the purpose of camouflage. People have had good result using rustoleum camo, if you do decide to do a camouflage pattern, make sure you use colors that are similar to each other.

7. DTOM97

DTOM97 New Member

Okay thanks. How had the paint been holding up since you did it?

8. longunner

longunner New Member

Pretty good so far, but I haven't been shooting it too much, I've been having too much fun at the big bore range :D. Btw I forgot to mention, if you want it to hold up better to abuse, put a clear coat on after your done with your initial paint job.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Remember too, that you need to put down the color that you want to be the least dominant as your first coat. Use blue painters tape to cut out the shapes you want and then stick tehm on after the paint is dry. then hit it wis the color that you want to be the second least dominant or as dominant as your final color, depending on how many colors you intend to use.

for exaple if your stock is already black and you only want small strips of black for accents, go ahead and mask of those areas with smal strips of tape. then hit it with your next colr that you want to make larger stripes or blotches out of, and then mask those off before hitting it with the next color, and so on. I usually do a top coat with some matte urethane or some kind of a dull clear coat to protect the pattern.

10. DavidB

DavidB New Member

I used leaves as a stencil, but was too nervous to try it on my gun, so I started with ammo cans. It gave me a good idea of finished product and what to expect. I'll post a pick of them when I get home. Still haven't painted a gun though.

11. DavidB

DavidB New Member

Heres my ammo cans

Attached Files:

12. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

13. Wambli

Wambli Member

Use Brownells Alumahyde. It works well on synthetic stocks and it is designed to be used on guns so it is solvent resistant. Gives a great professional finish but preparation is key. Rough up stock a little with fine steel wool or sandpaper and clean up well with acetone or degreaser of some sort. Make sure you are spraying at a temp of over 65 degrees or it will not flow out of the can. Takes about a week to fully cure, the warmer the better/faster. VERY durable professional finish that works as well on plastic as it does on metal.

Here are a few guns done with Alumahyde II:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i will add this for consideration. whatever product you decide on using, preparation before painting with anything is the key factor whether it stays on or not. 1st step would be a thorough washing with a degreasing soap and a stiff brush, using warm water. after many years of painting, i have found alcohol to be one of the best final degreasers before applying the first coats of paint.

15. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Get a krylon camo paint kit. http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage_paint_with_fusion_technology/

Pair of hooker fishnet stocking. http://www.walmart.com/ip/George-Women-s-Fishnet-Tights/24360254

Blue Painters tape. http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-2080-2...oor-Outdoor-Low-Medium-Adhesion-Each/23023330

You need to tape off the barrel channel butt pad (If you don't remove it) and where your botom metal sits. If you don't paint build up can cause your action to not fit back into the stock.

Here is a good video with great music...
    [ame]http://youtu.be/IRYxD77fdQg[/ame]

16. 304inc

304inc New Member

My 870, First time camo painting a gun,did my boys 10/22. Both came out pretty good. I thought anyways.

Attached Files:

17. 304inc

304inc New Member

Hope they loaded right,

Attached Files:

18. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Very nice I did my ar a couple months back its really nerve racking spraying an expensive gun with spray paint for the first time

Attached Files:

19. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Those look great guys. I could never paint one of my guns. The stress would give me a heart attack.

20. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

It was actually super easy 3 cans of paint, 1 laundry bag and some masking tape it's just the first couple sprays that are nerve racking. Plus it's just spray paint with enough elbow grease, solvent and time it can be removed.