Custom Dragon Engraved Handgun Slide

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by CNC602, Jun 19, 2012.

1. CNC602

CNC602 New Member

Here is a project I've been working on it's a custom engraved handgun slide.
    I've seen custom engraving done on firearms before done with a laser or by
    hand, especially with this level of detail. In this project I used a rotary
    engraver a vision engraving and routing system
    VE 810 engraver to engrave the handgun slide.
    Although it's a rotary engraver the method I used was diamond scratch
    also called diamond drag.

Attached Files:

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Man that's nice work!

3. CNC602

CNC602 New Member

Thanks! The dragon design translated from paper to stainless steel better than I thought it would. I'm really happy with the end result.

4. ibewiggin

ibewiggin New Member

That is amazing. I want to get something like that done around here.

5. CNC602

CNC602 New Member

Here is a video of the handgun slide being engraved. The project was used to
    do a marketing type video, so if it breaks any forum rules my humble apologies
    in advance. I just thought it was something members would be interested in seeing.
    Here is the Custom Gun Engraving video.

[ame]http://youtu.be/HGBGkU6Ktgk[/ame]

6. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I was impressed up until I saw it was all done by machine..

7. CNC602

CNC602 New Member

8. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I think it looks good. Im sure it would be cheaper to get it done that way and more people would be able to get it done if it was cheaper. Nice work defenitly.

9. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

That's pretty cool, not my style I appreciate works like that. Very talented.

10. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Thats cheatin, it does look nice though.

11. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

Can you do it on other than a flat surface?

12. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

No offense and this is just my opinion....

For me, the measure of a truely good craftsman is what he ( or she ) accomplishes using their own two hands. Engraving is an art form. Again, my opinion, but anyone can perform the work you've shown using your machine just like anyone can be an Ansel Adams using photo shop software... I guess what killed it for me is when they came out with laser engraving.. Just looks cold to me...

13. roughneck266

roughneck266 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I understand your point old man, but at the same time these things do have a place in the world. There are NFA items that have to be engraved, I would hate to pay what a guild craftsman would charge to put a few letters and numbers on a Suppressor.
    I like it alot. Wish like heck I could afford one.

14. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I think you miss understood me.. The engraving that I am talking about is the "art" engraving.. Not the type you are refering too.

15. roughneck266

roughneck266 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I guess I did. Sorry bout that.

16. CNC602

CNC602 New Member

I have much respect for anyone that can do this type of engraving by hand, and I don't think I've seen any CNC machine rotary or laser engraver do work that can be compared to a hand engraved piece. I mean you can tell the difference, no comparison at all. I just wanted to see how much detail I could actually do with a rotary CNC machine and not just serial numbers or initials. The dragon is a custom design so there was some effort put into it, not just clip-art or a template. Taken at face value I think it came out pretty good :). This type of engraving (cnc engraving) would probably be ideal for the mass-market for those who want a nice looking piece but don't have the $$$ for it, as opposed to hand engraving which would go for a higher value. I imagine a much much higher value.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  17. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

this is the kind of engraving the old man is talking about...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNBK4zKGZps&feature=related[/ame]

engraving is becoming a lost art due to modern technoligy.

18. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Precisely St... As we advance and tech gets better and better, we tend to forget the "personal" touch that went into making things special and collectable. No offense but there's a reason why tube amps are still prefered over solid state.. More "warmth" in the music produced by a tube over a solid state transistor... Same with hands on engraving.. You know the artist put something into the work rather than a cold machine punching out "Pete and Re-Pete" items...

Maybe that's why I'll never buy lazer etched collectables... Just so impersonnal and mass produced... NO SOUL ;)

19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Regardless of how it was accomplished, I like the work. I have no desire to dress up my guns, but if I did, I would be sending you a PM.