Custom car builds? Show 'em off.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sputnik1988, Oct 20, 2013.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The last few car threads and my recent resurgence of will to pick up on my old project where I left off left me wanting to see what everyone else has done as far as a custom vehicle.
    I started my project a few years ago and put it on the back burner shortly thereafter but I'm about to pick up soon.

It's a '93 GMC Sierra, it started as a factory 4.3 V6 with a 5 speed manual. So far I've stripped the entire front end, painted everything there and replaced the V6 with a 5.0 sporting high performance heads from GM and stainless headers. I also gave it a 3/4 drop and some 20" wheels and a few more odds and ends. I'm going to add true dual exhaust and start working on the body and interior here soon. I'm open to ideas also, including paint.

Alright, You've seen mine, now lets see yours.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. sputnik1988

Stripped down

Attached Files:

3. sputnik1988

Engine installed and everything painted.

Attached Files:

4. sputnik1988

Another one, just because.;)

Attached Files:

5. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Will have new pics soon, we have made alot of progress since these...and spent alot of my $$$$$$$$$$$.....lol

Attached Files:

6. sputnik1988

No kidding:eek:

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

7. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Did you stick with the stock trans/rear end...? I would imagine that new engine, with the aluminum heads makes alot more power than the v6 did

8. sputnik1988

They are higher performance heads but that's $5 worth of 'aluminum' engine paint on them:p poor man's custom. You really can't tell, even in person. Shhh. Don't tell anyone;)

The transmission has a heavy duty clutch installed but is otherwise factory for now, I'm debating on what to do with the rear end.

9. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Also, is that a crate motor , or did you build it..? I have alot of questions..lol. We have all the suspension/running gear done, and under the frame. The body is off, and at a different location(will deal with that later) Trying to decide if i should have the 360 that was in it rebuilt, or just use it for a core, and get a crate motor....?

10. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Wow..they sure look aluminum. Plus i thought gm moters after 87 had centerbolt valve covers, thats another reason i thought they might be aluminum

11. sputnik1988

Both actually;)

It was bought by a local genius with the heads already installed for his IROC Camaro he put like 200 miles on it and then let it set for months. One cool day he decided to fire her up and go drag racing... With a new engine, on a cold day... Without letting it warm up:eek: he was doing something like 120 when she started to knock. I got the whole car cheap, pulled the engine and went through it to find everything was fine except for a spun bearing. I replaced all the gaskets and picked up a new crank, good as new.

I always prefer to rebuild engines rather than buy them in a crate, comes out much cheaper and you learn more about your vehicle that way. I don't know much about Mopars though:(

12. sputnik1988

You would be right, old style heads. That's one of my favorite things about the build, people who know their stuff stopping for a double take, she's also fuel injected, but you can't tell without actually looking.

13. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I would like to learn how to rebuild it. But the guy doing most of the work is a friend of mine (fellow mud puppy..lol) He is a full time tech at a jeep dealership, has projects of his own, and a family. So i might get the crate motor just to save him some time.

14. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Yea...its odd to see those valve covers on an engine with a serpentine belt..I know a little about GMs, my current bog truck is a 83 Chevy. Iv'e had it apart a hundred times..lol

Attached Files:

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

16. sputnik1988

Sounds like you actually know your stuff a little better than I do.:eek:

The serpentine system is off of the 4.3, the engine blocks of the 4.3, 5.0 and 5.7 are almost identical in certain deminsions. It's really surprising how many parts interchange.

17. Axxe55

there are a lot of parts that will interchange in between them. i have put the entire serpentine belt drive system of the v-6 onto a v-8 before with minor modifications.

18. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

19. sputnik1988

Where's your ride Axxe?

You've got yourself a sweet Mopar IIRC.

20. Axxe55

the other two options of that engine have free shipping and don't have all the accessories if you were thinking about using the factory fuel injection and such.