custom ar w/ trigger job--$1200?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by brewna01, Jun 30, 2012.

1. brewna01

brewna01 New Member

Was at my LGS today and the owner offered to do a custom AR (.223/5.56) build and do a trigger job and also do some custom engraving for $1200. I'm not sure of the name of the company's he's thinking of using, obviously I'll ask before we agree to anything. But does this seem like a good deal?

He's a Colt fanatic btw, and is really into fully automatic weapons; so I think he would do me right. I bought my wife's lc9 from him and have had no problems with the gun. He does seem to be a little higher priced than other shops around...

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it really depends on the quality of the components used in the build. if he is using top shelf and quality products and depending on how it's configured, it could be a great deal. but cheaper parts of lesser quality, it could be overpriced. maybe with a little more detailed information on the parts used, would be helpful in determining whether it's a good deal or not.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

$1200.00 for a custom build is a fair price if the parts warrant it. For that price I would expect a matched receiver, bolt and barrel, all properly staked, MPI and HP tested BCG and barrel, a quality trigger group and sub MOA performance. Otherwise save a few hundred bucks and pick up a Bravo Company or Daniel Defense AR. Just my .02...

It would help to have a little more info. If you can post a spec sheet or list of parts he plans to use and any custom work he plans that would make it easier to offer opinions or alternatives.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Is Cane building ARs now??? :p

5. brewna01

brewna01 New Member

He did say something about chroming(?) the inside of the barrel. I'll call him and try to get more info.

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Find out who makes the barrel and bolt he's using then ask him the specs on them both.. Let us know what he says.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Honestly for $1200 I'd be choosing my own parts, I'm not a trusting soul! :D

8. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

It really depends on the parts he's using. I have my AR-15 listed right now for $2,000. Of course it's an LMT (Lewis Maching and Tool) with matching receivers, Troy rails, Troy BUIS, Magpul stock, ERGO grip, 2 stage trigger, full auto BCG, and it's less than a year old and less than 1,000 rounds through it.