Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
One rifle was in the Czech Republic. That looked a very good deal on the Roberts The pictures were not good. Seller had reduced the price. There's a message in there I think.

Let's go into the Big Box and price a 700 CDL for $750.00 or an X bolt for $850.00 and up. How about a Cooper for $2200. Yes, we are talking about different kinds of rifle. . Now you are suggesting OP's custom rifle would sell for $1500.00?. There's something there that is a couple of bubbles off plumb.in the pricing ..

You gotta go to where high end rifles are sold. OP's rifle has all the appearance of a really nice traditional high quality light custom sporter. What' s that worth? Nothing, if I'm not looking for that.

I had an Ithaca Model 37 deluxe gun with outstanding wood. One pilgrim ask if the stock was made of plastic. You would not have any luck selling OP's rifle to that person. One LGS was trying to sell a Blazer rifle with two extra barrels.All barrels had a Swarovski scope.Owner was trying to get $6000.00. No luck trying to sell the rifle to the wrong crowd. If I were making up this story it would have loose women and all sorts of licentious behavior,

·
Premium Member
S&W 637-2, M&P sheild 9mm
13,015 Posts
It's like an old custom car, the purists will say it's not worth much because they want something original. A buyer that wants custom will pay the moolah.

·
Registered
395 Posts
problem today is there are alot of custom rifles out there the ultra lite arms out of west virginia are hard to beat on a hunt but everybody has there opinion on what's best and then we come to the caliber debates .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Sorry guys, there just aren’t many details to share. The gun came from a passed family member but no one closer to him has any details. It ended up with me because I’m the closest one that hunts/shoots and collects. I knew it was a beautiful gun right when I got it but without markings I wasn’t exactly sure where it came from or what it was, this is why I posted, just looking for info that doesn’t seem to be there.

·
Premium Member
I carry a 9mm. Shield 1.0 or an S&W model 12-2. Mauser shooter & collector
9,558 Posts
I was watching an 8mm Mauser Oberndorf 98 sportster a few months ago on Brokegunner. It was comparable, jeweled bolt, pretty hunk of figured walnut, decent Japanese Nikko Sterling 4X scope, quality work. It sat at $900 for a couple of weeks before someone bought it. It's the "dirty birds" IMHO. The Swastikas turn the people off.

My $.02.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
So I'm confused here you think I'm high or low why don't you put a solid price you would pay .
I would expect that rifle to go for an absolute minimum $2500.00. If it were mine I would not consider selling that rifle for that little. When you talk about modern ultra light weights it's a different world. We are somewhat conflicted with thoughts of a modern custom utility rifle compared to an older custom collectable rifle.

To me, in a rifle like that in 7x57 is as good as it gets. .Well, really if it were a 257 Roberts,,,,,,,,no comparisons! I'd bet that rifle will shoot "MOA." Upper end load with a 139gr. Hornady or similar bullet would allow somebody to do a bunch of hunting. I'm biased. That's kinda what I load in my 7mm-08

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Sorry guys, there just aren’t many details to share. The gun came from a passed family member but no one closer to him has any details. It ended up with me because I’m the closest one that hunts/shoots and collects. I knew it was a beautiful gun right when I got it but without markings I wasn’t exactly sure where it came from or what it was, this is why I posted, just looking for info that doesn’t seem to be there.
So shoot it and be happy.

The skinny is that is no matter what it once WAS - a HUGELY collectible WW2 rarity that many collectors would slaver over - what matters it what it now IS.

It IS a beautiful sporterised Mauser in a popular European calibre that, with the right bullet - a 175gr Norma SP or any good-quality factory ammunition, since you are probably not a reloader [your syntax and apparent lack of gunnish knowledge says to me], will take anything that walks in North America if you do your shot placement correctly.

Karamojo Bell in Southern Africa, and Gregory Sellous between them shot EVERY game animal in Africa, hundreds if not thousands of times, from lion to Cape Buff and ellyfunts, using just this calibre rifle.

As I noted before, it is a nice Chevy with a Ferrari engine.

FWIW - this is one of MY 7x57 Mausers, a Model B, made in 1912, and used most every couple of days from then until late 1989 as a daily meat getter in Rhodesia.

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Cylinder Shotgun

·
Supporting Member
14,173 Posts
Yes that is one nice and beautiful Rifle. Anyone would be proud to own it and you as well!
I am a little sentimental when it comes to things passed down from the family.
That includes my Grandpa's Fox Sterlingworth 20 Ga. Double Barrel and others.
I would agree with Bucktail. I guess if I might share my feelings?
I would think that they thought enough of you to give it to you as a gift! And them knowing you would probably enjoy it, take care of it and possibly use it. That is why my thought was, since they thought enough of you to give it to you when they could have sold it for $$$$! So, to me it kind of falls into the category of a cherished Heirloom! And as Buck said to possibly pass it on down the road to someone else to enjoy. If nothing else to only admire it since it is a fantastic rifle. Just my opinion!
In closing ONE FINE RIFLE! (y)

·
Registered
426 Posts
The OP's gun is beautiful. 7X57 is the go to European round. PAX

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
The OP's gun is beautifu;. &x%& is the got to European round. PAX
It would be greater if it were in a classic American round. That would be .257 Roberts.🙂

Added: The rifle is just fine the way it is!

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
What about those Junk pile Mauser's with the Herter's stock and white spacers including Tasco scope? Junk is on the junk pile.:oops:

·
Registered
395 Posts
What about those Junk pile Mauser's with the Herter's stock and white spacers including Tasco scope? Junk is on the junk pile.:oops:
I like junk even the small ring mausers and the arisakas , I call them diamonds in the rough now moisins that's a different animal . I have a few and you can tell they are grandpas work of art and grandpa was pretty talented . Remember he had a 3/8 drill , a vise and a hammer few files and a 5.00 dollar rifle a month before deer season .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
So shoot it and be happy.
I am not sure what that comment means or why people think I want to sell it or why you think that I’m not happy with this, my original post was just requesting information about the gun as I didn’t know much about it and couldn’t find much about it without a manufacturer. I have no plans of getting rid of it, it is a beautiful piece from family that will stay with me for a long time. The only reason I posted the above comment was because people kept asking for details that I just don’t have.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I’m wondering is anyone can help me identify details about this rifle I just picked up. I’ve attached pics of all markings and would love to get any details you may have. Some specifics would be country of origin and year made, ammo that will work best, and anything else interesting. I think it’s German but I just not really sure. Thanks for any help.

I for one was trying to help you. All that I could was pointed out with merits of each part as seen. The was no intention of stepping on any toes. The majority of post said firmly not to sell. There was much good information in these posts. We gave you what we knew.

Guess: My guess is the rifle dates from the middle 1970's. I would say from the work on the bolt, trigger and safety the gun was made in America. Who ever built that rifle was right handed with arms long enough for a 15" pull. Otherwise, what you see is what you get. Good luck. You got a keeper.

Added: Just noticed the deep flutes in the comb of the stock...check it out.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I am not sure what that comment means or why people think I want to sell it or why you think that I’m not happy with this, my original post was just requesting information about the gun as I didn’t know much about it and couldn’t find much about it without a manufacturer. I have no plans of getting rid of it, it is a beautiful piece from family that will stay with me for a long time. The only reason I posted the above comment was because people kept asking for details that I just don’t have.
Sir, not having had the benefit of learning the English language ab initio, as it were, it is possible that my comment has somehow been misunderstood in the reading. The rifle is clearly marked with numerous factory and inspection stamps proclaiming its origins in nazi Germany, not withstanding that that it has meanwhile morphed from a very valuable original carbine of extreme rarity into a nicely-sporterised, uh, sporting rifle.

Again, there have been many comments here, some rueful, some less than helpful, but mostly informative, and I'd like to think that most of us have shown you evidence of a degree of envy in your ownership of this excellent conversion into a usable hunting rifle - one that you can take to the woods with a certain element of pride.

My comment, in straightforward English, means that you should accept it for what it is now - and you appear to do that - and take pleasure in its use - you will also that when you obtain suitable ammunition. It is not meant as any kind of threat to your emotions or financial necessities. Coming from a line of people whose history is documented in the world's most popular book - I'll let you work that out, I promise you it's not THAT taxing - perhaps if I'd said 'Shoot it in good health' it might have had more resonance for you.

Whatever.

Remember, too, that you have arrived on a forum where the vast majority of posters are long-time shooters of one kind of another. Fer'instance, I started shooting at the age of six, and in March I'll be seventy-six. I'm just one of thousands here. You will have had access to a truly immense wealth of shooting experiences and an equally vast amount of knowledge. It's a fact that sometimes it is difficult for some of us to comprehend that there ARE people out there who have never heard of the 7x57 Mauser cartridge, or know absolutely DS about nazi gun-making, or the habit of converting them into useable hunting rifles. It can be a little daunting - a bit like asking Einstein to tot up a grocery bill. The answers may not be quite what you'd expect.

So all in all, I think that we have done pretty well by you, and if you have it in your mind that we have done somewhat less than that, well, Sir, that has to be your way of thinking.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Old farts can just seem raspy. I just turned 70 this month, PAX

41 - 60 of 90 Posts