Curing Jumpiness

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by SixthTry, Apr 13, 2008.

1. SixthTry

SixthTry New Member

Start laughing now... :eek: but it's still a problem for me

I have been to a few beginner handgun classes at a range near my brother's house. I have used loaner .38 revolvers and a 9mm Glock 26.
    Others there have used the same and similar guns...no .50 cal or machine guns, not even Colt .45s

I'm jumpy. Despite the fact that I'm wearing hearing protection and I'm focused on others shooting, I am jumpy.

Yes, laugh all you want...nearly every time a shot is fired, whether it's 5 lanes away and I'm looking at that lane or not, I jump.

I feel like such a .... wimp, I guess is the right word.

Doesn't happen when I'm firing, thank goodness

Is this something that goes away with time/experience? I am one of those who's more aware of what's happening around him than the average person and I don't have much time and experience yet.

Any suggestions?

2. Chester

Chester New Member

3. bkt

bkt New Member

Maybe spending more time around the noise will help you become acclimated to it. As for hearing protection, try using a combination of foam earplugs along with the over-ear protection. Maybe if the sound is really deadened, it won't bother you as much.

4. SixthTry

SixthTry New Member

So, is this problem not something everyone encounters in the beginning?

I mean, I was hoping it would get better with time or with some sort of practice.

I'll try both types of hearing protection-right now I just use headphones

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It's normal for beginning shooters to experience this. I definitely wouldn't worry about it too much unless you were literally coming off the ground and ducking/covering up. :cool:

The first thing I would question is what kind of hearing protection are you using? Believe it or not, good hearing protection is often overlooked by a lot of people, especially when they don't know any better.

My Fiancee' had never been to a gun range before until she met me. She wanted to learn to shoot, but having only indoor pistol ranges near our house, it was kind of unnerving for her with ALL that action going on. I got her a pair of Howard Leight electronic earmuffs like these - to which I added a pair of soft, ear plugs that she puts underneath and that greatly helped reduce the noise factor for her.

Without a lot of range time, you aren't going to get over it easily, but slowly as you become more accustomed to the sounds going on around you it will slowly fade into the background.

Best of luck!

D

6. SixthTry

SixthTry New Member

No, nothing like that, just that little jerk-of-the-shoulder, startled feeling. Not with every shot I heard, just some.

OK so no need for the meds yet :eek:

7. fluffo63

fluffo63 New Member

..Would it be Shell-Shock????were you in NAM..LOL..with hearing aid
    on your head,question???how does the faint noise make you jumpy???
    ..........BOO....:D

8. HankStone

HankStone New Member

"NOT A PUT DOWN",But just maybe shooting is not for you and nothing is wrong with that.

9. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Well, I don't think I'd say that. Shooting is for everyone, criminals and congress excepted....

10. gnoll

gnoll New Member

shooting is some thing every one can enjoy
    i mean my kids love it they have there own gunz and love to go out with dad after they go out a few times they get over there jumpiness

11. SixthTry

SixthTry New Member

My idea isn't just to enjoy: I definitely want to be proficient with whatever pistol I decide to carry for personal defense.

Just isn't moving fast enough for me, but I'm a loner. I don't have any shooting friends or know anyone in the craft, so I am reliant on counter guys and lots of internet reading.

It's encouraging to know I can get over the uneasiness. Eventually, I'd like to be able to recognize the sounds of different calibers from different weapons (if that's possible). What I mean is that I want to be that "into" things that I have that much experience and confidence.

12. MCline

MCline New Member

Just an idea but I know it has worked in several different situations as I use it myself when my shooting gets sloppy. Get a .22 cal rifle and shoot with it for a few sessions. Maybe several of your friends can just have a .22 day at the range. .22 cal rifles and handguns offer good practice. You can learn gun control,trigger control, and even learn to get use to the noise of other guns going off near by. I wouldn't be too concerned as even us old veterans will jump when some guy shoots a big bore near us. You just need more time at the range. Good luck and be safe. All guns are loaded, always.

13. gnoll

gnoll New Member

well who are we than we all are here to help you and we all are your friends so if you want to shoot lets go
    and if you dont jump when you shoot its all good

14. HankStone

HankStone New Member

Sorry if I read inadequacies in SixthTrys post.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  15. gnoll

gnoll New Member

i think that one needs to be directed at the other dude

16. HankStone

HankStone New Member

10-4 gnoll,Now I'm sorry I even responded at all to SixthTry's post.

17. gcsod45

gcsod45 New Member

Hearing Protection

It is possible that you need a better pair of hearing protection maybe some of the electronic ones. You could have extra sensitive hearing which could cause this problem. Just a thought. Does thunder cause this same problem?

18. SixthTry

SixthTry New Member

Thunder and other such noises don't bother me...used to when I was a kid, but I grew out of that

Loud engines (no exhaust, straight headers, backfiring) used to be the same...got over that as well

Probably need more experience and I'll be OK.